User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DPF removal .. is it really a good move !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default DPF removal .. is it really a good move !

Hi all, i have the estate diesel with the dpf and up to the end of last summer i was planning on having it removed ! the filter itself has never gone wrong as i monitor it and keep a small note of when it last regened and when its next clean out is due.. sounds a bit geeky i know but it has worked for me... no expensive dealer repairs !! mine cleans out every 650 - 700 miles, the only thing that always bugs me is the fact that it does its thing just as i am close to the end of a particular journey and i have to drive around until its finished ! ruddy annoying !! so thats my only reason really for removing it apart from a little extra fuel it gulps during clean out.. that was until i started cycling to work ! after a week or so i became so aware of the petrol & mainly diesel fumes that i was sucking into my lungs, it really does choke you, with this i did a bit of research on what i was breathing in and it scarred the breath out of me.. i wont bore the of my findings but i'm sure if only half of it was true it still would not be good for us to be inhaling into our lungs !! particle filters do a good job but car manufacturers need to make one that is designed to work & keep working..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : safira

Trim : Se

Engine : 120

Year : 2006

Ive just drilled through mine, 3 X 12mm holes after it became blocked.

It really really goes well now, yes there is a cloud of soot when you boot it, but hey im not breathing it!

This is the third car I have done this too now, and the last two all passed the MOT without the DPF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

Quote Originally Posted by Kcs View Post
    Hi all, i have the estate diesel with the dpf and up to the end of last summer i was planning on having it removed ! the filter itself has never gone wrong as i monitor it and keep a small note of when it last regened and when its next clean out is due.. sounds a bit geeky i know but it has worked for me... no expensive dealer repairs !! mine cleans out every 650 - 700 miles, the only thing that always bugs me is the fact that it does its thing just as i am close to the end of a particular journey and i have to drive around until its finished ! ruddy annoying !! so thats my only reason really for removing it apart from a little extra fuel it gulps during clean out.. that was until i started cycling to work ! after a week or so i became so aware of the petrol & mainly diesel fumes that i was sucking into my lungs, it really does choke you, with this i did a bit of research on what i was breathing in and it scarred the breath out of me.. i wont bore the of my findings but i'm sure if only half of it was true it still would not be good for us to be inhaling into our lungs !! particle filters do a good job but car manufacturers need to make one that is designed to work & keep working..
    What happens if you stop your journey and switch off, half way through a regen? Does it start again when you restart - I never know when mine has done one but by checking on Op Com it obviously does regen.
    If its working ok I would leave alone - worry about it when it goes wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by alcutler View Post
    What happens if you stop your journey and switch off, half way through a regen? Does it start again when you restart - I never know when mine has done one but by checking on Op Com it obviously does regen.
    If its working ok I would leave alone - worry about it when it goes wrong.
    I never know when mines doing a regen, Never get a light on dash etc, Should i be getting some forum of warning when regening? If not, How can i tell?

I was going to have mine removed, but opted for the "if it isnt broke, dont touch it" option on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Im quite interested in this post too..

I never know when ours is doing a regen either but I did notice the car decided to 'smoke' on its own cpl weeks ago (from exhaust) and the fuel went down!! I panicked and pulled into a car park and turned engine off.. could this of been it??

I dont get any lights either so how DO you know, and how do you know how full it is?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Quote Originally Posted by SarahP View Post

I never know when ours is doing a regen either but I did notice the car decided to 'smoke' on its own cpl weeks ago (from exhaust) and the fuel went down!! I panicked and pulled into a car park and turned engine off.. could this of been it??

I dont get any lights either so how DO you know, and how do you know how full it is?
    it used to flash a light on the dash but vx stopped it as people were taking their cars in saying it had a fault so they disabled the light. Fuel consumption going right down is a good sign.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ur idle instant mpg will go from like 0.2gal/hr to nearer 1. When i see this i pull onto a 60 road n give he a cud 10 minute smashing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

Quote Originally Posted by SarahP View Post

I suppose that is the idea really - its supposed to happen without you being aware - I would assume if you have had the car some time it has been doing it and all is well - If you have Op Com that will tell you what percentage it is full and you can force it to do a regen if it gets a bit constipated.
    At the end of the day its best left alone while working ok

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

To help answer a few questions on this thread, if you do need to switch off while a regen is in process, the car will try again next time it is started when it reaches operating temp, but after about three consecutive failed regens, it won't try again and a forced regen at the dealers will be required. The average regen cycle is about 650 or so miles, but is dependent on type of motoring, ie a car used round town alot will regen more often, a car used daily on motorway runs will regen less often. I employ the tactic of checking the instant consuption when reaching the end of a journey and if it is .01 gallons per hour, then it is safe to switch off. If it's reading something like .07 to 1.0, then a regen is in process and a 10 min run on a fast A road or motorway allows it to complete regen and thats it for another 650 or so miles. Like Kcs, i also keep a little notepad of when the car last did a regen which lets me know when one is due and after two years of owning this estate i have had no DPF problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 2007 1.9cdti sri 150 estate

Trim : sri

Engine : 1.9cdti 150

Year : 2007

not long ago mine did aregen and i thought it was knackered lol.

i keep my instant mpg on and now i can tell when its doing one.

mine could do with a good thrash actually, sadly most of its life is spent doing 6-7 mile journeys to work and back which isnt ideal.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information