User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking at a buying a 1.8vvti... Help ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Looking at a buying a 1.8vvti... Help ?

I drove a 1.8vvti yesterday (06) with 57,000. Nice enough looking motor but was a little underwhelmed when driving it. Didnt expect massive things but it didnt even feel as smooth as my 1.9cdti (150) which I want to get rid of.
    The gearbox felt clunky when selecting (is this normal) ?

What are peoples views of this motor who have experience of them ?

I'm not after great performance, just a bit of reliability...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

...also further to the above, is there any common known problems for this model that I should be looking out for ?

Many thanks...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As far as I know the 1.8 VVT is the same more or less as the orignial 1.8... So engine thermostat would be the main thing to go which is an easy fix.

I am presently trying to take the wife into the 1.8 instead fo the 1.9 150 for the reliability. The 1.8 VVT is a 5 speed isint it?

It's not going to be as pockey as the Derv lump as the tourques are way less from what I understand. The clunkey feeling to the gear box may just be down the way that car was... Test drive another for a true comparison if possible....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by coldo View Post
    As far as I know the 1.8 VVT is the same more or less as the orignial 1.8... So engine thermostat would be the main thing to go which is an easy fix.

I am presently trying to take the wife into the 1.8 instead fo the 1.9 150 for the reliability. The 1.8 VVT is a 5 speed isint it?

It's not going to be as pockey as the Derv lump as the tourques are way less from what I understand. The clunkey feeling to the gear box may just be down the way that car was... Test drive another for a true comparison if possible....
    I thought that with gearbox, it is a 5 speed box yes.
    If the thermostat is the main worry then I can live with that !!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Billy110 View Post
    I thought that with gearbox, it is a 5 speed box yes.
    If the thermostat is the main worry then I can live with that !!
    Totaly... Other than that it's all the clasic Vectra things to fail which every model suffers from... Drop links, ARB Bushes, etc....

I have been reading up ont he 1.8 VVT and it appears to be tunable also (although only marginaly) to sort out the flat spot in the middle of the rev range that the 1.8 suffers.. Apparently people have seen 150 to 160 BPH from this engine when tuned...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have had a 1.8 VVT since December 43K miles on an 06 plate, apart from a snapped front spring, nothing else to complain about.

The stock motor develops 140 bhp, but feel like you have to push it hard to get that, although I do like the sound of the cams at higher revs.

Will never have the low down torque of the diesels and yes the gearbox can be a bit notchy.

The bit that still catches me out is the apparant over reving when you change gear, it is supposed to burn any excess fuel off rather then let it go into the cat??

As I am happy to pootle around at 60mph on the main roads, it will get low to mid 40's for your gallon of the expensive stuff.

I did the airbox mod, no apparant change? Apart from it will now use all of the air filter rather then just one half?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have a 1.8VVT - Chipped with the Airbox Mod and K&N Filter.

Engine is nice and smooth, very quiet. Gearbox between 2nd and 3rd can get hard work when warm on "those drives" but given it red lines at 6K RPM, it'll quiet happily blast around B Roads - ahem I mean the track in those gears without too many problems.

From what I understand it's the straight 1.8 with a few extras and as such is just as reliable I think. I've had nothing to wrong on mine, and Ive just being doing preventative maintenance. (Dis Pack, oil, plugs etc.) But really it's all standard stuff.

The 1.8 was built to be rev'ed it you want the power unlocked - the VVT system kicks in around 3KRPM, and takes a second or so to engage. when it does though you should notice a noise change and a power increase - This also means that it will keep going past the 4 RPM (Thats right 4!) that the CDTI boys need to change up and also means the power curve is more consistent, and not in a block 3 rpm wide!
    For the most part it's a quiet and smooth engine - unlike the .1 of a litre more Diesel fueled trawler engined cousin.
    If it sounds like a the engine of an ocean going barge when you fire it up, (Loud diesel clattering noise) when first started from cold then thats the VVT Actuators - oil is being staved from them and thats needs fixing before your Cam gears and up as shrapnel. a 30 min home fix if you are mechanically minded.

HTH.

Matt

PS: we also have 16 valves like most modern civilised engines, not the prehistoric dumper truck engine, number of 8! (unlike the 1.9)

PPS: That raving BTW is the Fly By Wire Throttle trying to keep your revs up. It does it on mine too, and is design to compensate for those drivers who can't match engine speed with road speed when changing gear....Or so at least thats what I was told by a VX Guru!

PPPS: I like the 1.9's really, even if they they do run on the wrong type of fuel - I'm just yanking your chain..
    Last edited by VVT-i-MATT; 26th March 2012 at 14:03.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia tourer

Trim : elite

Engine : 2.0 cdti 160

Year : 2011

the 1.8vvti is a pretty reliable engine to have,the only fault that i know of
    is the thermostat which is pretty cheap to do but other than that there
    very reliable.

Thread Information