User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I Doing The Right Thing Having My Cat Put Down??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused Am I Doing The Right Thing Having My Cat Put Down??

We have had a cat for 2 years now, but we also had a new addition to our family 10 days ago, a little healthy baby girl!

We said all through the pregnancy that we will keep the cat even though we will have a baby, as we don't think he will ever harm her, and we will keep a sharp eye on him to make sure of it.

The day we got home I had to keep shouting at him because he was nosing up into her basket were she slept, as you know the worst case cenario is he will jump in and sit on her face for warmth, resulting in sufficating the baby.

The baby also had cat fur in her mouth at one point. When he goes in his litter box, he also kicks litter out and sometimes has bits of poo and wee on his paws, and you can see his paw prints across the floor and god knows what else he jumps on.

We found a new home for him the day after we got home with the baby because we just decided he had to go. Even though when he gets used to her being around he will just leave her alone, I don't want her getting bits of litter on her or in her mouth, and I can just picture her in the litter box when she starts crawling. We have no where to put the litter box that would be out of her reach either.

He came back to us today after a week of being rehomed because the girl complained about him pining for us all night everynight. She said he was really bad and it was keeping her up, and her neighbours could also hear it. He wasn't eating, drinking or going to the toilet.

We know that if we re-home him it will be just the same and we can't bear to think of him sitting in someone else's home scared and whining for us all night, not eating or drinking anything. What if he went to a home with kids who would always pull his tail, pinch him out of evilness and do god knows what else to him?

We think it will be alot kinder to him to have him put to sleep rather than put him through the stress of re-homing yet again. It would also not be adding to the many over crowded cat shelters.

He has already had a poo since he got home, when we didnt have the baby we would just open the windows and spray a load of neutradol that would get rid of the odours, but with the baby, opening the windows will make her cold and air freshener isn't good for her. His smell fills every inch of the room after pooing and I just don't want the baby around that.

What do you think?

Am I in my rights to have a healthy animal put down because of those reasons?

I am not a cruel person and feel very mean but I think I may need to be cruel to be kind

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi (VXR Styling)

Engine : Z19DTH (Re-mapped)

Year : 04

Mileage : 140k

Build a small cat house and leave it as an outside cat, lot nicer than killing it if it's healthy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Exclusive

Engine : Y20DTH

Year : 2009

Mileage : 96500

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by john506 View Post
    .........He came back to us today after a week of being rehomed because the girl complained about him pining for us all night everynight. She said he was really bad and it was keeping her up, and her neighbours could also hear it. He wasn't eating, drinking or going to the toilet................
    hi....first of all, i had a bad experience with cats , my grandfather had a cat`s hair on his liver (he never liked the cats into the house, he didn`t allowed them to stay inside...still.... he had this thing and he finally died).

Cats are very dangerous for our health, especially for a baby.

I am not into giving advices but, my opinion is to get rid of the cat becuz the health of your daughter is the most important thing. Don`t kill the cat, just try to take him to a shelter or smth.

An by the way... CONGRATS on the new member of the family !!!
    Last edited by sinless; 25th March 2012 at 22:50. Reason: blind typing :D:D:D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Vectra Hatch

Trim : SRI with added X-Pack

Engine : 1.9 16v 150

Year : 2006

Mileage : Near 100K

Give the cat away rather than kill it, thats cruel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Mileage : 85000

Quote Originally Posted by XPCobra View Post
    Give the cat away rather than kill it, thats cruel.
    dont put your cat down, he was there before your child and is healthy. Gumtree is your friend for these things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Astra

Trim : GTC VXR

Engine : 2.0 Turbo Petrol

Year : 2015

Mileage : 3,200

Tbh I dont think any vet would put a healthy cat down but i can understand your stuation with regard to your baby. I would have to try and rehome the cat again would be better than to put it to sleep

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

Year : 2007

As said I hate cats I would even do it in for ya lmao but only if it was I'll I wouldn't kill somet that's healthy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The more I am thinking about it the more it makes sense just to re-home him.

I have emailed a cat rescue place so hopefully they should get back to me tomorrow.

I just really don't want him to go to a home with cruel kids or people that dont look after him properly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Bmw 330d

Trim : Msport

Engine : 3.0d

Year : 2008

Rspca to rehome it. No need to ever kill something heathy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c

Trim : vxr

Engine : z28neh

Mileage : 31000

i think your out of order even thinking of having a healthy animal put down an animal is for life not for 10 mins

and cats been bad for your health as said above is a load of crap

seems to me your a new parent and this is your first child and your way over reacting i have 2 kids a daughter and a son and both of them have been brought up with cats and dogs and it has never harmed them

it is your responsability as a parent to make sure your child dose not go near the litter tray

and as for the poo smell what you going to do if you go to the toilet after a curry the night before or have a smelly fart in your house get rid of your self or your partner come on its a ****** smell it aint going to harm her

your daughter will be eating worms and mud in the garden paint at school etc and all other things she shouldnt but you cant stop her trust me iv tried and got wore out with my 2 lol having a child is no excuse for getting rid of and animal there saposed to be part of the family and for the cat to be pining for you it must love you a lot

oh and the cat going in her cot/basket is not cos of warmth its the smell of milk cats love it just make sure the cat is never left alone with the baby i have a jack russell at the min and i know he would never harm my son (he's a baby) but i would never leave him in the same room alone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information