Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Bleeding the air from the diesel fuel system

Hello Everybody,
    I looked for my problem in the forum but I could not find yet. If someone knows about this problem please can you help me.
    The car is 2004 Vectra C 2.2 dti elegance diesel estate. Problem is;
    There was warning light which indicates water in the fuel filter so I changed the fuel filter. The car was working before I changed the filter but after changed, it did not start even though I removed the watery fuel from filter reservoir and top up with clean fuel till the cap. So did I block the system with air if so how can I bleed the air from the fuel system.? (when I tried to start after changed the filter it worked but so little time then stopped now just turning but not working)
    Regards
    Tekin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Vectra Hatch

Trim : SRI with added X-Pack

Engine : 1.9 16v 150

Year : 2006

Mileage : Near 100K

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the link, it fits exactly my model but do you have information how to use it.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I thought that the DTi didn't have a water sensor in the fuel filter, and that this feature was introduced with the CDTi engine.

The points above about how to get the fuel system primed and bled are correct now that air has been allowed into the fuel pipes. That's what I use after I have changed the fuel filter every 2 years.

I find that gentle squeezes work best and - if you have 2 people - start the car while still pumping, gently rev the engine to work the last of the air out. Then stop the engine, remove the priming pump, reconnect the fuel pipes and again start and gently rev the engine for a little while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Actually I still do not know is there water sensor, there are 2 pipe lines in&out which enters to filter reservoir and an electric socket at the top bit, to take the old filter out I had to take that socket out I hope because of that it won t ask recoded or something. after I took out the old filter, i sucked the fuel in the reservoir into a bottle with a aquarium air line after a while there was saved water at the deep in the bottle.
    I found this info, (For connection in-line with the vehicles low pressure delivery system.) as I know low pressure system is the line which comes till the injection pump and the line which went on after injection pump is high pressure line. so I ll try to connect this tool to line that just before injection pump. Is it correct do you think.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Only the later CDTi engines have a water sensor, I think. The wiring in the cap is for the heater. The water sensor would have to be near the bottom seeing as oil floats on water. This is also why the water drain screw is on the bottom of the filter housing. The ECU won't have any idea you disconnected the heater connector as long as you remember to re-connect it.

TBH I'm surprised you found any water in the filter. I change mine every 2 years as per the service schedule and have never found any water in it. In fact, I stopped opening the water drain valve on the bottom as no water came out - it just let air in. Where is the car usually filled up?

I'd put the priming pump on the outlet - i.e. the pipe that runs to the fuel pump - as this is where the proper electric priming pump that dealers (should) use is fitted and it's also where Haynes recommend. If you get an air-tight fit, the priming pump won't have any problem filling the filter housing with diesel before pushing it on towards the pump, although you can save yourself from a bit of carpal tunnel syndrome by filling the filter housing up with diesel before re-fitting the lid.
    Last edited by James24; 24th March 2012 at 18:34.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You need to fit a hand primer in line exactly where i have fitted mine mate,never had any probs at all since fitting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

DP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When I bought the car there was nearly not any fuel inside even computer was showing 0 mile, I cannot belive how the seller spent all the fuel till the last drop! so probably whatever is there bottom of the fuel tank went to the filter include water,

The pumping tool supposed to arrive on Monday. As soon as I got it I ll try. Macdad! Picture is so clear to see how to fix, thanks for that and as I understand you fitted that for permanently, so do I need to fit so or will it be ok just to start the engine and then replace the same pipe line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for your help,
    Finally the engine started. Today I fit the pumping tool just before entering the fuel filter as temporary, while I was pumping manually, wife tried the start the engine and after a few trying it worked then before removing the tool I lift the car from back side with jack just in case. then replaced the usual fuel pipe line and start the engine again, it worked. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information