Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Nissan 350Z GT

Engine : 3.5 V6

Year : 06

Mileage : 50,000

Default Summer/Winter/All Weather tyres

The UK average annual temperature is 9 degrees, only 1.2 degrees more than Norway. Annual rainfall is a hefty 1,160mm to Norways 730mm. We're a very wet country, not too far off Brazil (1,500mm) which has the largest rainforst on the planet.
    So why are summer tyres still the first choice for a tyre in the UK when our warm weather period is so brief and it's so wet and cool here?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

because winter tyres are very soft and despite your quoted average temperatures, our spring and summers are far too warm for the soft rubber to last two minutes.

Its all about the rubber compound, not the tread pattern that makes the biggest difference between summer and winter tyres.

Rainfall dosent really matter either, as summer tyres are just as happy in the wet as winter tyres. Id argue that summer tyres have bigger wider water channels for dispersing water better than the small groves winter tyres use to leach onto ice.

Weve had a couple of bad winters that have convinced people of the value of winter tyres, but they were pretty harsh winters. This year Ive had absolutly no need at all for winter tyres. Last thing the plannet wants is more of the ****** things.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have all weather marked (m+s) tyres on the front. Neuton nt5000's. They don't perform any worse than the summer tyres on dry roads but they do help to prevent aqua planing IMO.
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Lada

Trim : Riva

Engine : 6.0 V12

Year : 1954

Mileage : 567890987

The biggest problem is people here have forgotten how to drive when its cold, or thier is snow on the ground. ABS, Airbags, TC, Safety Cells make people think they can still drive normally when its snows, rains or there is frost about. 30+ years ago my dad never had winter tyres on any of his rear drive cars, Avenger, Viva, Cortina's, Sierra's and he never got stuck, yet he would happily travel up and down the Angus Glens in all weathers. Most think that when it snows and if you get stuck stick it in 1st, drop the clutch and floor the throttle is the only way to drive.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Grimy View Post
    because winter tyres are very soft and despite your quoted average temperatures, our spring and summers are far too warm for the soft rubber to last two minutes.

Its all about the rubber compound, not the tread pattern that makes the biggest difference between summer and winter tyres.

Rainfall dosent really matter either, as summer tyres are just as happy in the wet as winter tyres. Id argue that summer tyres have bigger wider water channels for dispersing water better than the small groves winter tyres use to leach onto ice.

Weve had a couple of bad winters that have convinced people of the value of winter tyres, but they were pretty harsh winters. This year Ive had absolutly no need at all for winter tyres. Last thing the plannet wants is more of the ****** things.
    I don't think summer tyres are as happy (effective) in the wet as AS or W tyres or tyre companies would just not make them or market them as summer tyres that are excellent in the wet or snow/ice. Summer tyres by definition operate less efficiently than those other types.
    Look at Nordic countries and they take tyre specs very seriously. Don't even think about driving in the winter with summer tyres or else.

It just seems to me that being such a wet and cold country that the default tyre is a summer compound. A compound that for almost 8 months of the year remains hard and less pliable and, as such, suffers reduced grip and increased wear.
    Surely with the introduction of ASTyres that these would be the one to go for.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Winter tyres are a good idea.....IF its less than 5 degrees C.
    It just does not normally stay that cold for long in this country, especially in the south.
    The main problem is as said before, people have no idea how to drive in snow and ice, they just panic.
    For the last 4 winter I've had BMW 5 series all with premium summer tyres and the only time I hot such was because the traffic was because of traffic, not snow.
    They are not great in the snow but if driven carefully you can still get about, 3rd gear and a feather on the throttle normally works

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It just does not normally stay that cold for long in this country, especially in the south.
    The main problem is as said before, people have no idea how to drive in snow and ice, they just panic.
    For the last 4 winter I've had BMW 5 series all with premium summer tyres and the only time I hot stuck was because the traffic was because of traffic, not snow.
    They are not great in the snow but if driven carefully you can still get about, 3rd gear and a feather on the throttle normally works
    Last edited by kevmo; 18th March 2012 at 19:39. Reason: cant spell

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by kevmo View Post
    7 degrees, rather than 5 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Barlow View Post
    The UK average annual temperature is 9 degrees, only 1.2 degrees more than Norway. Annual rainfall is a hefty 1,160mm to Norways 730mm. We're a very wet country, not too far off Brazil (1,500mm) which has the largest rainforst on the planet.
    So why are summer tyres still the first choice for a tyre in the UK when our warm weather period is so brief and it's so wet and cool here?
    Large parts of the South East and East Anglia have a hosepipe ban starting on 5th April due to several seasons of low rainfall:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...uth-east-water

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I just took mine off today strangely - people have asked why I was still running them, but its a lot colder at 5am and 8pm when I'm traveling!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Rebellion View Post
    Large parts of the South East and East Anglia have a hosepipe ban starting on 5th April due to several seasons of low rainfall:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...uth-east-water

That's unusual though and I think it speaks more for the water companies not investing in new holes in the ground (reservoirs) for a massively expanding population with the billions in profit they make.

Thread Information