Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Air bag squib repair

Hi all, a little while ago I posted in the interior section about my airbag headache! I realised after it was too late it should have been here, anyway after recovering from shock when Vauxhall quoted me £360 for a whole new CIM when I only had high resistance in my squib I bought a cheap second hand CIM from eBay (£35) that wasn't even cleared and started to dissect it, I removed the squib and fitted it to my original CIM and it works and is surprisingly easy to do, I took some pictures whilst doing it and will write a how to so we can all save over £300 and have the benefit of NOT programming a new CIM to the car, watch this space

Hampshire (Near Havant) . .Drives: Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Year : 2005

Sounds like a worth while HOW2

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : SRI

Engine : 1.8vvt

Year : 2008

Default Vectra C Squib CIM and Getting it DONE!

Hi, I have a Vectra and unfortunately my airbag light came on. Fortunately for me I have an OPCOM to help diagnose the fault and it came up with ‘BOO12-0D Driver Airbag Squib Circuit (Stage 1) High Resistance’
    Now I didn’t know where to start and with it being an Airbag issue I couldn’t afford to get it wrong.
    So after a lot of reading here’s what I found and this is how I resolved the issue.
    Firstly buy any CIM (Column Integrated Module) must be in perfect working order from a reputable Vauxhall breaker it will cost no more than £40
    Now it’s important to know that the Squib is not the CIM. The Squib is part of the CIM it’s the round thing in the middle of the CIM.
    You can swap the CIM, the one from the breakers with the faulty one on the car, however this will occur a lot of unnecessary costs as your keys and CIM will need reprogramming so your car can start.
    However if you replace the squib you won’t need to have anything reprogrammed.
    Dismantling the CIM from the Breakers. (Very simple)
    1/ Make sure the 2 arrows on the squib mark up pointing at each other before you begin. Need to press the plunger in the middle of the squib (Round thing)
    Remeber this is a rough guide, minor things may be needed to be removed.
    2/ Remove Indicator and wiper stalks (simply push in a hair clip down the groove underneath the stalks and pull the stalks out.
    3/ Undo all the torx screws then gently push in the 7 clips at the top and bottom of the CIM and 2 below each stalk.
    4/ gently pull the unit apart, it may be a bit stiff but it will pull apart. You will have the barrel section in one hand and the squib in the other.
    Removing from the Car.
    1/ Disconnect the Battery (Do not skip this, and wait at least 15 minutes allowing the Airbag capacitors to discharge)
    2/ Undo the cowling around the steering wheels, 2 screws only visible when you rotate the steering wheel facing left and facing right.
    3/ Remove the panel underneath the steering wheel.
    4/ Remove the plastic flexible cover under the instrument panel
    5/ Remove Airbag (Tricky Bit) Rotate Steering wheel so it’s at a 90 degree turn, you will see a hole at a 45 degree angle, get a thin flat head screw driver 5mm bore. Push the screw driver down the hole feeling for a pin at the bottom, push the screwdriver levering the pin towards the centre column. When you push the pin far enough the Airbag will pop off from one side. Repeat process from the other side of the steering wheel.
    6/ Undo the clips from the back of the airbag and place airbag to one side.
    7/ Undo the star bolt holding the steering wheel in place. Then pull the steering wheel free from the column.
    8/ Remove the harness from the back of the CIM and set it aside.
    9/ Undo the bolt from underneath the barrel and clip from the column. And pull the CIM from the Column.
    Now remove the Squib from the CIM from the car and replace it with the one from the breakers. Make sure that the pins on the Squib slide into place correctly when putting the CIM back together or the unit will not work.
    Refit the CIM and put the car back together.
    Once you reach the Airbag refit the Light will go off by itself, however the error will still be stored on the ECU which can only be removed using a OPCOM or equivalent. (Airbag Light will be off)

Thread Information