Thread: Swirl linkage advice please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Swirl linkage advice please?

got my mate to do the b&q repair to the linkage but when he connected up it came up with a fault code, when he investigated it turns out that the no 4 pod swirl flap is flapping about and is feked, thinks this is due to oil residue blowing up and thru this, everyother one is fine, but he had no choice other than to disconnect it so that car came off limp mode, my question is will I now need a new manifold, or is their a work round this

cheers
    Gery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra-c

Trim : sri

Engine : cdti

Year : 2004

Mileage : 98,000

Usually if the repair is done right & when started & revved the bar moves freely it should be ok, but sometimes if the repair is a tight fitting & hinders /restricts the movement of the motor & bar it can throw a fault light & limp mode,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

apparently number 3 is the one which controls the bar and the others and is working fine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra c SRI Facelift

Trim : SRI

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2006

First thing i would do is to check and clean your EGR valve if you havnt already,if its clogged/blocked then the pressure will build up in the manafold and the exhaust gasses will find the weakest place to escape through(the plastic swirl pots)

My 4th swirl pot started off leaking and over the space of a couple of months they have all gone the same way(apart from pot number 3 which is attached to the motor) they are all leaking aswell as having 3-4mm vertical movement so i know that the manafold is loosing pressure.My bar came off and although it does stay on for a day or so i have just left it off as the car is running fine apart from a small drop in performance but because im getting very good MPG im leaving it alone......for now.

There is a guy on here who had the same problem and actually sealed his swirl pots in the "open" position(10 o'clock position as you look down at the pots) with liquid metal and the car runs perfect.It makes sence if you think about it as not only does it meen the gasses are free to escape via the right route but also the manafold will be air tight so no loss in pressure(which i think effect boost pressure)

I will be doing this myself in the summer when the weather gets better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by justin32 View Post
    First thing i would do is to check and clean your EGR valve if you havnt already,if its clogged/blocked then the pressure will build up in the manafold and the exhaust gasses will find the weakest place to escape through(the plastic swirl pots)

My 4th swirl pot started off leaking and over the space of a couple of months they have all gone the same way(apart from pot number 3 which is attached to the motor) they are all leaking aswell as having 3-4mm vertical movement so i know that the manafold is loosing pressure.My bar came off and although it does stay on for a day or so i have just left it off as the car is running fine apart from a small drop in performance but because im getting very good MPG im leaving it alone......for now.

There is a guy on here who had the same problem and actually sealed his swirl pots in the "open" position(10 o'clock position as you look down at the pots) with liquid metal and the car runs perfect.It makes sence if you think about it as not only does it meen the gasses are free to escape via the right route but also the manafold will be air tight so no loss in pressure(which i think effect boost pressure)

I will be doing this myself in the summer when the weather gets better.
    Thanks Justin, EGR valve is ok new one fitted last summer, spoke to me mate and he said that will work no problem, (he is annoyed he never thought of that) so he will be doing mine on saturday and will get car back on sunday and will let you know

cheers mate

pps saw another discussion re blanking off egr valve? worth doing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Justin

my mate did no 4 pot and car has got mid range urgency back that was missing, been running for 10 days now and no issues, warning lights etc, so my mate is now going to do the other pots as well (now that there have been no problems)
    will let you know when its done
    cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I super glued my pots (1,2 & 4) open at the weekend. Runs just fine and although number 3 is leaking some pressure, with all the other swirl valves in the open position, most fumes appear to be being sucked into the engine instead of diffusing into the engine compartment and then into the cabin. Wished I had ripped the rod off ages ago and gleued them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : z

Trim : z

Engine : z

Year : z

Done mine too.

If #3 is leaking, remove the link from the motor to the swirl, and glue that one too. Put plenty of glue around it to seal the leak

This leaves the motor to turn as needed, and prevent any faults being chucked up

I've glued 1,2,4, letting 3 run with the motor. 12k miles now and no issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quite a few of us have now done plenty of mileage with pots 1,2 & 4 bonded in the open position... well worth doing imo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

is there a How 2 on this jobbie?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information