User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compact Flash and XD memory cards...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Compact Flash and XD memory cards...

I'm in the market for a new camera and of the ones I like I can have either of the above formats. Usually we use SD cards so having spent some time trawling the tinternet for info on these new formats I'm none the wiser.

Ignoring their physical sizes, what's the difference in performance? Which is better?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Duncan!!!!!!

I use the compact flash cards in our digi SLR... currently Sandisk extreme.. fast as a fast thing on storing images... i found that the cheaper cards take quite a while to 'store', but buy a good card and it's really noticeably quicker..

My dad's point and shoot uses SD cards.. can't fault that either.. i suppose it's how 'pro' you want to go?????

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I heard a comment from someone in work selling a dual card camera that one is a lot fast than the other..... but can't remember which way round, Don't suppose you know do you?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2 View Post
    Duncan!!!!!!

Well, given the choice between XD or CF cards I'd go for CF. They're much more readily available, cheaper I'm sure and also faster I think. There is certainly more choice and availability.

If your camera supports the faster versions, you'll have less time waiting for the camera to write to them - especially if you shoot a sequence of shots. All depends as well on what memory buffer the camera has. No point in having a fast card if the camera only writes at a slow speed.

If you're getting a decent camera, and your pics are important to you I wouldn't mess around and I'd get a decent make like Lexar Professional or Sandisk the Extreme. Again, no need to go and buy the super fast ones if you won't have a camera that takes advantage of that speed. You can buy one of the previous versions.

I use Lexar Professional 80x 2GB as my regular cards, with a couple of Sandisk as well. Get into the practice of formatting the cards in the camera on a regular basis. Once you've offloaded the images off the card onto your PC, next time you use it in the camera - reformat it. This keeps everything running smoothly. DON'T reformat on the PC/card reader and then use it straight in the camera. That's one of the ways that you're more likely to end up with data corruption. Always format in the camera. I've always done that and never (touch wood) had a single incident of data loss.

If your camera is a lower end camera, and you maybe don't want to pay the price for Lexar/Sandisk, then a decent lower cost make is Viking. Never used them but they get a decent write-up.

HTH

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the Advice D. and Gsi3.2 (Mark?)

Compact Flash it is then!
    Last edited by Brocks; 28th November 2006 at 20:04. Reason: Not wanting to look ungrateful!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A word of warning if you are going to purchase of a well known internet site, make sure it is a genuine article, as i bought a 2gb Supposedly sandisk make and when it came it didnt work. I was assured it was genuine and it must have been something I did, so, i contacted Sandisk direct who ask me to send them two pictures of it showing the serial number which I did. A couple of days later got a reply, only to be told that it was not a genuine product of theres, confronted seller got my money back within days, so , be careful.
    Stefluc

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers Ste. I usually buy small items from the high street. I should be OK there!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I use XD cards mainly because my first digital camera was a Fuji and only Fuji and Olympus use them (i think) so I have a few XD cards. So I recently bought a newer Fuji camara as I already had the XD cards LOL

With regard to speed, the latest XD cards are called something like XD MH ? I haven't got my camera with me to check. When I copy photos to my PC taken at 9megapixel it's very quick, much quicker than the older XD cards.

I regularly take 200plus photo's a day at work and have found the Fuji/XD card combination to be ultra reliable, I've never had a problem with them.

HTH ! !

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by simac View Post
    I use XD cards mainly because my first digital camera was a Fuji and only Fuji and Olympus use them (i think) so I have a few XD cards.
    quite correct!

With regard to speed, the latest XD cards are called something like XD MH ? I haven't got my camera with me to check. When I copy photos to my PC taken at 9megapixel it's very quick, much quicker than the older XD cards.

Arh.....Spanner in works...Tilt....

The camera in question will be a Fuji S9600 .Nearly ordered it last night but got side tracked! It runs both memory types but comes with a pitiful 16mb Card that holds 2 photos, so I need to buy a bigger card.

I regularly take 200plus photo's a day at work and have found the Fuji/XD card combination to be ultra reliable, I've never had a problem with them.

HTH ! !
    200 photos a day, what do ya do? You're not one of Wirrals traffic wardens? I've noticed that they photograph all their victims now!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I feel insulted now, I couldn't be one of those guys - I work in Hamilton Square so I know them all too well LMAO

I'm a building surveyor and have been doing a lot of commercial surveys lately for asset management. Basically they are a condition survey looking at repairs and life cycle replacements over the next 30 years.

A lot can be done from photo's such as finishes etc I did three crash repair centres recently and took tons of photo's !

I use an older Fuji camera for work, an A210 which has done over 12000 photos now without missing a beat. For pleasure I have not long had a Fuji E900 which has a lot of features but still fits in my pocket (just!) It was a tough decision between that and an entry level DSLR.

It's a mine field isn't it LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information