Thread: Thermostat Issue??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Question Thermostat Issue??

Hi guys, not sure if this is where I should post this question but here goes.

I have noticed that my temp gauge barely moves, I did a quick search and seem to have all the symptoms of a dodgy thermostat i.e temp needle doesn't move, takes ages for heater to blow warm air etc.

I took it to a garage and told him what I thought was the problem. He plugged in the computer and says that the sensor is working fine and that it is the actual gauge in the dash that needs replaced, although he said this was more hassle than needed as everything else was working fine. I'm not so sure though.

He then said that it could be caused by the EGR, and strangely enough the spanner light wont turn off now??

I'm going to clean the EGR myself, should I get the thermostat anyway??

If so are the ones of ebay ok to get??

Was looking at this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-V...item35b9f1151b

Would that be ok?? Also need new brake discs and was wondering would these be ok?? I ask because they seem to be a very reasonable price, almost to reasonable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VECTRA-C-1...item3f148115ad

Car is an 05 reg Vectra, 1.9 CDTI

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Reading the listings,both those items on Ebay should be right for your car. Re the spanner light, did the garage say what the codes were that wont clear, that would help identify if the EGR is at fault.
    Personally i would replace the thermostat, they are prone to failing and ages to warm up and gauge issues are the main symptoms. Little bit of a pig to do, so allow a couple of hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Same symptoms as mine for the thermostat, I replaced it as chances are it was that and no the guage, Job was fixed, Now takes 5 - 7 miles to warm up of normal driving, get warm air within about 1 mile usually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi, I had the same engine temperature issues as you and brought the thermostat from the same seller last week and a genuine Vauxhall part was supplied. Fitted it easily in a couple of hours on Friday afternoon following the how 2 posted on here and all is ok now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by KeeronMac View Post

Car is an 05 reg Vectra, 1.9 CDTI
    If yours is the 150bhp, just follow the how to - if its the 120.............. prepare for a nightmare - the EGR cooler bracket covers the lower bolt on the stat housing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia CDTi SRi NAV 160

Trim : SRi

Engine : A20DTH

Year : 2009

Mileage : 88000

Quote Originally Posted by KeeronMac View Post
    I took it to a garage and told him what I thought was the problem. He plugged in the computer and says that the sensor is working fine and that it is the actual gauge in the dash that needs replaced, although he said this was more hassle than needed as everything else was working fine. I'm not so sure though.
    Its the thermostat not the temperture sensor that has failed. The temperture sender will be working fine. Seems the man in the garage didn't know what he was talking about and could have eneded up costing you a load of dosh for no reason!

Mind you if would be more costly for you for the garage to replace the dash gauge than to replace the thermostat and therefore a fast buck could be made by pretending to change the dash and instead doing the thermostat (or am I being a bit cynical)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : Club

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Year : 2004

99% sure it's the stat. Thought my temp gauge was knackered qnd changed the complete stat and housing and all sorted.

Tis a b***h on the 120.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : Club

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Year : 2004

DP bug
    Last edited by mcpitman; 5th March 2012 at 20:04.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by barney490 View Post
    Reading the listings,both those items on Ebay should be right for your car. Re the spanner light, did the garage say what the codes were that wont clear, that would help identify if the EGR is at fault.
    Personally i would replace the thermostat, they are prone to failing and ages to warm up and gauge issues are the main symptoms. Little bit of a pig to do, so allow a couple of hours.
    He never mentioned what codes came up, never even thought to ask to be honest, I find it strange how the spanner light is up now after he said the EGR could be a suspect. The engine symbol under the fuel gauge is gone only to be replaced by the spanner...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    If yours is the 150bhp, just follow the how to - if its the 120.............. prepare for a nightmare - the EGR cooler bracket covers the lower bolt on the stat housing
    It is the 120bhp I remember my friends dti was right at the front and easy enough to remove, yeah mine might be a bit more work...

Quote Originally Posted by merikiito View Post
    Its the thermostat not the temperture sensor that has failed. The temperture sender will be working fine. Seems the man in the garage didn't know what he was talking about and could have eneded up costing you a load of dosh for no reason!

Mind you if would be more costly for you for the garage to replace the dash gauge than to replace the thermostat and therefore a fast buck could be made by pretending to change the dash and instead doing the thermostat (or am I being a bit cynical)
    You see thats what I thought, I was thinking that the thermostat wouldn't be that expensive, probably not too awkward a job either, hence he said the dash, but if it was the dash surely the needle wouldnt move at all (it moves slightly if i put the foot down but drops straight away after), that made me doubt him slightly. Having said that he said not to bother changing the dash.

He seemed genuine enough though, said it would be no problem if I wanted to source my own parts and he would fit them, rather have a go at it myself first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mcpitman View Post
    99% sure it's the stat. Thought my temp gauge was knackered qnd changed the complete stat and housing and all sorted.

Tis a b***h on the 120.
    Yeah I think I'll get the stat, hopefully that sorts it, car running fine bar that

And is anything simple on the 120's???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information