User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: CDTi 8 Valve 120 running problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default CDTi 8 Valve 120 running problems.

Hi hoping for some advice to solve the ongoing problems on my money pit of a vectra. After changing the glow plugs lots of swearing and hours of work, having the turbo changed after it expired in spectacular fashion, changing the lambda sensor (only for a second hand one though) the car was running great. Pulling like an express train and enjoying hearing the turbo whistle again. Started it one morning and it was down on power, no sound of the turbo working. Hit close to the red line and the spanner light came on and the power cut right back. Switched the car off and back on and the light was out but it still wasnt running right. Next couple of days it was also struggling to start ie turning over for ages. Took of the engine cover and it was all coked up. Replaced the injector seals also a nightmare job as they were welded in I ended up taking the rocker cover off to get a good grip at them and they were really needing it on 2 and 3 cylinders. Took out the lambda and cleaned it up and put it all back together. After turning the ignition on and off to get the fuel back through it started fine and sounded a bit better. Took it for a drive but still down on power, red lined it again and guess what?? Spanner light on and another drop in power. Ignition off and back on and the lights out but still low on power. Really sick of the car at the moment. To hurt the cash reserves even more I'd spent 380 on suspension last week for it's MOT and another 90 on rear calipers... I reckon I've spent about two grand on it in the last six months!
    Anyone else with a similar problem or with any advice. It would be really appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I did have a problem with my cdti having a lack of power and turbo not kicking in and this was just after a service and it turned out to be the fuel filter. I believe these are suppose to be soaked/ have some diesel added to them? I'm not 100% on the correct prodeure when replacing it but the lack of power and no turbo sound was the symptom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Check the following,

EGR valve, remove and check it's not coked up and jammed.
    Boost sensor, remove and clean carefully with carb cleaner,easy to do with EGR out, bolts to inlet manifold near EGR. Don't damage the centre probe.
    Check all the small vac hoses from the vac pump to the boost control valve on the front panel for splits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default CDTi 8 Valve 120 running problems.

Thanks guys I'm now making a list of all i should check! I can see another weekend coming up just being stuck under the bonnet! Wifes now claimed our other vectra full time (Sri in my profile pic) till i get this all sorted!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just tell her NOT to bring it back with no fuel in it, lmao!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Vectra CDTi 8 Valve 120 running problems.

Quote Originally Posted by barney490 View Post
    Just tell her NOT to bring it back with no fuel in it, lmao!!!
    Lol....do all women not think cars have magical fuel tanks that fill self fill!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by RBayne View Post
    Hi hoping for some advice to solve the ongoing problems on my money pit of a vectra. After changing the glow plugs lots of swearing and hours of work, having the turbo changed after it expired in spectacular fashion, changing the lambda sensor (only for a second hand one though) the car was running great. Pulling like an express train and enjoying hearing the turbo whistle again. Started it one morning and it was down on power, no sound of the turbo working. Hit close to the red line and the spanner light came on and the power cut right back. Switched the car off and back on and the light was out but it still wasnt running right. Next couple of days it was also struggling to start ie turning over for ages. Took of the engine cover and it was all coked up. Replaced the injector seals also a nightmare job as they were welded in I ended up taking the rocker cover off to get a good grip at them and they were really needing it on 2 and 3 cylinders. Took out the lambda and cleaned it up and put it all back together. After turning the ignition on and off to get the fuel back through it started fine and sounded a bit better. Took it for a drive but still down on power, red lined it again and guess what?? Spanner light on and another drop in power. Ignition off and back on and the lights out but still low on power. Really sick of the car at the moment. To hurt the cash reserves even more I'd spent 380 on suspension last week for it's MOT and another 90 on rear calipers... I reckon I've spent about two grand on it in the last six months!
    Anyone else with a similar problem or with any advice. It would be really appreciated.

Have the fault codes read and post them on here

Thread Information