0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Question Flashing Glow Plug Light

My glow plug light has just started flashing??? Now I know that this indicates a dpf regen (I thought VX turned this off?(, but I've had the car nearly a year and I've never seen this come on yet.

The manual states that the dpf needs a regen and my mpg has gone down quite a bit recently.. is this the sign of an impending failure or is this just the first regen I've had since I bought the car???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The manual says this about flashing glow plug light.

The self-cleaning function cannot operate automatically during certain driving situations where the engine does not reach its normal operating temperature. An example of this would be driving only short distances in cold weather. If the filter needs cleaning and recent d riving situations did not allow the func tion to automatically operate, then the control indicator ! will flash. If this occurs, then you may continue to drive the vehicle normally. The vehicle will not be damaged and does not require service.
    The self-cleaning function will automatically operate whilst driving after the engine has reached its normal operating temperature. The control indicator ! will continue to flash until the self-cleaning operation is complete. This may take up to 20 minutes of driving. The time will be shorter at higher vehicle speeds. If the vehicle is not moving for more than a few minutes, then the self cleaning function will not operate. Operation will continue when driving resumes.

I would suggest a nice hot run on the motorway at 70 keeping the car in fifth gear till it regens and the light goes out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You might also be interested in this,

Basically what is happening during this process, is that the engine's computer has decided from the information that it receives from the sensors installed in the exhaust, that the DPF has filled up past its acceptable limit. The computer then closes the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) to help get exhaust gas temps higher and also injects a small shot of fuel into the cylinders when the exhaust valves are open, hence increase in fuel consumption. The raised exhaust temps, up to 600 degrees Celsius, and the small amount of fuel then burn out the particulate (soot) that the DPF has collected since its last regen.
    Once regeneration starts the ECU then needs to see the correct value readings from the pressure sensors in the exhaust that the filter is flowing an acceptable limit again, it ends the regen cycle. It is not good practice to switch off any car whilst the regen process is running it’s cycle. Typically if this happens, the car will attempt another regen the next time the engine is started and reaches temperature. Problems arise when after several interrupted regen cycles, the car will no longer attempt another, causing the DPF to block, bringing on the EML and entering limp mode.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

why on earth does this now double post ???
    Last edited by barney490; 2nd March 2012 at 19:37. Reason: double post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Took it up the motorway for 20 mins and it's all cleared

Checked this morning and the dpf is showing 20% saturation. Will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the replies.

Thread Information