User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people sell cars on...........

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia CDTi SRi NAV 160

Trim : SRi

Engine : A20DTH

Year : 2009

Mileage : 88000

Default Why do people sell cars on...........

I am getting a bit miffed at the moment with new members only joining the site to sort out their faults with their new purchase.
    It seems that purchasers are failing to do a full check on the car they are buying. Comments such as the the EML came on while driving home,do these people not give the car a decent test drive before they purchased the car? At least until the temperature gauge gets up to working temperature (mind you can be a bit tricky )

The first thing they blame is either the car or VX, resulting in comments like all Vectras are rubbish or all Vauxhall's are all crap.

So lets discuss why people sell cars in the first place. My thoughts are with no 1 being the biggest reason.

1. The car has a problem that is either to expensive to fix or cannot be found
    2. They are bored with it
    3. They are downgrading/upgrading
    4. They are leaving the country
    5. They no longer need a car

So where are the new members going wrong when they buy a Vectra. What are they failing to do? And who do they need to blame, the car or themselves?

I for one have brought one or two suspect cars in the past and have tried to learn from my mistakes, one thing is tho I have never blamed the Car or the car maker always myself for not doing proper checks
    Lois Griffin: Peter! You're bribing your daughter with a car?
    Peter Griffin: Ah, c'mon, Lois, isn't 'bribe' just another word for 'love'?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When buying a car it really needs to be taken on a decent run and then a good going over and should ideally have a good amount of history.

I'm selling my car at the moment and my reason is I need something a lot smaller due to a change in jobs. I'm doing approx 100 miles a day now so all i need is a little 3 door diesel. People do sell cars for genuine reasons but on the other hand there are ###### out there who do shift cars on if they have faults too.

If I was selling a car that had faults I'd either trade it in or send it to auction.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think your comments are a little unfair to people who buy a car then ask help on the forum.

Not everyone is mechanically minded, hence the need for help. Additionally, you dont always get a very long test drive, hence faults do not always show up immeadiately.

Unless you are going to pay for a professional inspection, I doubt that the average driver could pick up on all the faults on a car. Even the professionals get it wrong!

Personally I sold on my last car as it was getting past its best, it was worth £300 part-ex, it has since gone to Nigeria to be a taxi. I have a decent amount of mechanical knowledge, but still joined the forum for help and advise and also to give advise.

If we are not careful, we could put off potential new members?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've only ever sold my cars on because they were no longer suitable for my needs. Eg. I had a lovely Mazda RX8 a few years ago but it had to go when my daughter popped into the world. I got an MG ZT-T estate after that because i needed the space, then that had to go because it was costing me too much in fuel (2.5 V6) and i now work 200 miles away from home mon - fri. So that led me to my current car. CDTi.
    I think people can just be unlucky, you wont be able to pick up every fault just from a test drive, and if its bought privatley then obviously you dont have the same come back as you do with getting a car with a warranty from a dealer.

I've called some of my cars all the names under the sun when something goes wrong, its natural that people get frustrated! Im sure every brand of product gets the same slagging off when something goes wrong not just vauxhall!

Its human nature

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ben50n View Post
    I think your comments are a little unfair to people who buy a car then ask help on the forum
    Not everyone is mechanically minded, hence the need for help. Additionally, you dont always get a very long test drive, hence faults do not always show up immeadiately.

Unless you are going to pay for a professional inspection, I doubt that the average driver could pick up on all the faults on a car. Even the professionals get it wrong!

Personally I sold on my last car as it was getting past its best, it was worth £300 part-ex, it has since gone to Nigeria to be a taxi. I have a decent amount of mechanical knowledge, but still joined the forum for help and advise and also to give advise.

If we are not careful, we could put off potential new members?

I agree, it's one of the great things about sites like this. Help and avice from people who have maybe more experience or technical ability than others. If everybody on here knew everything there was to know about vectra's what would be the point. Posts like that just put new members (or anyone for that matter) asking a question. I asked lots of questions on here when I first got my car (still do ha) I got a lot of help and advice saving me a lot of money in the process. If you buy a car and then find out you've bought a melon that's his fault.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Buy a vectra...develop a problem....dont have a clue....google problem.....voila vectra c to the rescue,seems simple to me.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Elite Nav

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2012

Mileage : 9k

Quote Originally Posted by ChRiS1 View Post
    Buy a vectra...develop a problem....dont have a clue....google problem.....voila vectra c to the rescue,seems simple to me.
    and if your lucky maybe 20% will hang around and voila you have a decent forum

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by rob warrington View Post
    I agree, it's one of the great things about sites like this. Help and avice from people who have maybe more experience or technical ability than others. If everybody on here knew everything there was to know about vectra's what would be the point. Posts like that just put new members (or anyone for that matter) asking a question. I asked lots of questions on here when I first got my car (still do ha) I got a lot of help and advice saving me a lot of money in the process. If you buy a car and then find out you've bought a melon that's his fault.
    I agree

I just bought a Signum I noticed it had a knocking noise so I got a bit of money off the car when purchasing now im getting it fixed with help from this forum, after all isnt that a major advantage of a fourm?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I also think some of your points are unfair, and I'm guessing this thread is partially aimed at my thread.

I am no way mechanically minded, if a car has a good service history, no signs of damage and runs fine then why would there be any reason to not buy it ?

Test drives as already mentioned are pretty pointless unless you drive 5 miles +.

Dealers should be fully aware of the faults with the vehicles they are selling.

I have found this forum very useful and I have been a member of AOC for 3 years until I sold my Astra.

Just my 2 cents

Stan.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by ChRiS1 View Post
    That's exactly how I found the forum. Was looking at buying a vectra. Searched on google and ended up here. I knew nothing about vectra's having never owned one. Two years on and experiance and knowledge gained from this site I'm now able to offer advice. Like I say I'm not having a go I'm just saying if a new member asks a question no matter how daft it may be, it's not on to remind them that they don't know as mush as you.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information