0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default lpg on a 2.0 t???

Just wondering if anyone on here has converted there z20net to lpg?

Im only getting 270-280 miles on a full tank (26mpg) and im soon starting a new job with a longer commute.

This got me thinking, at first I was considering a smaller petrol engine, but I dont think I could cope with the loss of performance, my second thought was the v6 cdti, but with the average price being £500-£600 more exspensive than my car and then the dealer taking his cut id probably lose over £1000, then I thought what about lpg?

On gas id probably see between 22-23mpg (slight loss from petrol) but only pay around 70p a litre giving an equivalent of 44-46mpg. Obviously the kit costs abit, but from what ive seen alot less than getting the v6 cdti and better performance and running costs.

I can only see positives to getting it fitted, has anyone got any experience or advice? I live in manchester by the way, if anyone knows of any reputable fitters.

Cheers, Liam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pm aidi he's done it recently

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its amazing that search function... http://vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155833
    My old Signum, the animal; she now rests in pieces in several other members cars.. https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/garag...vehicle&id=200
    The wifes vec show car, started as a standard daily driver and ended up like this. https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/garag...vehicle&id=709

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd recommend buying a second hand kit and fitting it yourself, it's really quite easy.
    Just buy new pipes and unions from Tinley Tech.
    Then take it to an LPG fitter to have it balanced - though balancing it yourself isn't hard either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

x2

Why does this forum double post so often?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, just had mine done as per the link Nige posted up.

Couple of changes since i posted up the pictures and the write up.. I have since had the drip feed valve lube system replaced with an electronic injection one. A turbo engine will not allow the oil to get to the valves whist at speed due to the vaccum it creates. The injector system works in conjuction with the fuel injectors, so uses the oil as required.

I have since recessed the fuel gauge button so it now sits flush on the blanking plate.

Fuel consumption is pretty good by my reckoning. Its a 51 litre tank, so 40L usable (will only fill to 80% capacity due to expansion) and getting about 220 miles on a tank, which works out to about 25MPG.

Needs to go back for its 1000 mile service. It has a flatspot between 2000 & 2500rpm and now i have run a few tanks through it they can calibrate the fuel gauge to read better.

Over all i am quite happy with it. Only thing i would change if i could would be having a bigger fuel tank. The 51 litre is the largest which sits flush in the spare wheel bay, anything bigger and the boot floor needs to be rasied. You can install a 70Litre, but you will loose about 45mm of boot space height.

If you can justify the installation price - then its worth it. Expect to pay about £1200-1400 for a good system and good installation. From what i am reading dont be fooled by the 1 day installations. They seem to be more trouble than they are worth, and the installation is not very tidy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aidi View Post

Couple of changes since i posted up the pictures and the write up.. I have since had the drip feed valve lube system replaced with an electronic injection one. A turbo engine will not allow the oil to get to the valves whist at speed due to the vaccum it creates. The injector system works in conjuction with the fuel injectors, so uses the oil as required.
    I take it your using Flashlube?
    I wouldn't have though you'd really need it? That stuff is (or was) recommended for older cars (pre-unleaded petrol) as they didn't have hardened valve seats. Flashlube is supposed to protect those older engines.
    It's only fairly recently that Flashlube have changed their spiel to say all cars should have it, I'm guessing because those older cars make up a small market = less profit.
    I ran my 1980 Series Land Rover for 18k on LPG without Flashlube and there was no recession at all. Very little carbon build up either. The consensus at LRUK forums was that the 5 main bearing Landy engine had hardened seats and made flashlube redundant while the older 3 main bearing engine benefited

/2 cents

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liamgdr View Post
    Im only getting 270-280 miles on a full tank (26mpg).
    You should be getting slightly more than that out of a full tank.

My 2.2 is only averaging 26 to 27mpg at the moment and I still get over 300 miles to a tank.

Tank is just over 13 gallons. 13gall x26 mpg = 338miles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman_nige View Post
    its amazing that search function... http://vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155833
    Alrite snotty pants I did try using the function but it said "no results found"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aidi View Post
    Yep, just had mine done as per the link Nige posted up.

I have since recessed the fuel gauge button so it now sits flush on the blanking plate.

Fuel consumption is pretty good by my reckoning. Its a 51 litre tank, so 40L usable (will only fill to 80% capacity due to expansion) and getting about 220 miles on a tank, which works out to about 25MPG.

Needs to go back for its 1000 mile service. It has a flatspot between 2000 & 2500rpm and now i have run a few tanks through it they can calibrate the fuel gauge to read better.

Over all i am quite happy with it. Only thing i would change if i could would be having a bigger fuel tank. The 51 litre is the largest which sits flush in the spare wheel bay, anything bigger and the boot floor needs to be rasied. You can install a 70Litre, but you will loose about 45mm of boot space height.

If you can justify the installation price - then its worth it. Expect to pay about £1200-1400 for a good system and good installation. From what i am reading dont be fooled by the 1 day installations. They seem to be more trouble than they are worth, and the installation is not very tidy.
    Cheers aidi, the smaller tank doesnt bother me too much, as long as it all looks original, ill go have a look at your thread, im not sure if 1200-1400 quid is justifiable on a car thats only worth 3000 , I dont want to end up with a bodge job though.

Cheers, Liam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information