Thread: Am I right in thinking.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Am I right in thinking.....

Ive always been of the opinion if you want power buy a turbo car as tuning n/a cars doesnt really get you much?
    Ive got a 3.2 V6 GSI Vectra and thought I would ask if this was the case with this car to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Tourer

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTI (160ps)

Year : 2010

There is some stuff you can do to the 3.2 but not that much. No doubt some of the GSi boys will be along to help you with that shortly but as far as I know, exhaust, air filter and "possibly" different cams is about the limit without supercharging.

Vauxhall deliberately de-tuned the 2.0T so it didn't over power the GSi as they didn't want to lose sales on the GSi at the time, hence a lot of people buy the 2.0T and tune it because there's so much available to do so and its easy to tune compared to the 3.2, a remap alone will bring the 2.0T up to GSi power.
    "Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Maptun Tuned 2.0T Estate - click HERE for mods list.
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers mate, no plans on changing my car but was just wondering

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : very

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : Nosey

Depends how much you want to spend on your car? Being a NA car, exhaust and intake flow optimization would help greatly. Remaps are available to give you a bit more umph but it will not be epic. You could always fit a turbo

spoons

Or fit Nitrous Oxide Wet kit as you would get a lot of power from this.

I've got Nitrous Oxide on my turbo VXR and I'm getting around 420 BHP at the moment out of it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by reeces555 View Post
    Ive always been of the opinion if you want power buy a turbo car
    I would say no. You want more power just buy a car with a bigger engine!!

More power, no need for faffing about taking it back and forth getting the 'map' right, changing turbos, then having to uprate brakes, clutch etc etc then being scared that it is so far tuned it could go pop at any time!

Prime example above.

Do you go out, buy a VXR Vectra, spend money on new bits, upgrades and a can of laughing gas to get 400bhp OR but a 6.3ltr VXR8 - same final power on an very understressed engine and running gear and at a guess buy the time you add the cost of all the extras on the Vectra to the purchase price it won't be far off the £16k that a local dealer near me is selling an 08 VXR8 for

But what about incurance and running costs you say? Well for me personally the VXR8 would cost £60 more a year to insure than a STANDARD VXR, add in the mods it'll be more, they cost the same to tax and would guess be very close on MPG.

The end of the day if you want to buy a car to modify and have bragging rights over your mates because you were the first 10,000bhp XYZ and you want to keep tinkering until it breaks then you buy a car you can turn the boost up on, you want full on hairy chest man power then you buy a car that had it in the first place

BTW the above is just a social comment and in no way ment to offend anyone
    Last edited by stoneshed; 29th February 2012 at 18:24.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by stoneshed View Post
    I would say no. You want more power just buy a car with a bigger engine!!

More power, no need for faffing about taking it back and forth getting the 'map' right, changing turbos, then having to uprate brakes, clutch etc etc then being scared that is so far tuned it could go pop at any time!

Prime example above.

Do you go out, buy a VXR Vectra, spend money on new bits, upgrades and a can of laughung gas to get 400bhp OR but a 6.3ltr VXR8 - same final power on an very understressed engine and running gear and at a guess buy the time you add the cost of all the extras on the Vectra to the purchase price it won't be far off the £16k that a local dealer near me is selling an 08 VXR8 for

But what about incurance and running costs you say? Well for me personally the VXR8 would cost £60 more a year to insure than a STANDARD VXR, add in the mods it'll be more, they cost the same to tax and would guess be very close on MPG.

The end of the day if you want to buy a car to modify and have bragging rights over your mates because you were the first 10,000bhp XYZ and you want to keep tinkering until it breaks then you buy a car you can turn the boost up on, you want full on hairy chest man power then you buy a car that had it in the first place

BTW the above is just a social comment and in no way ment to offend anyone

HAHA! I kinda agree with this.....

Thread Information