0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Remaps, detectable or not?

Following on from the latter part of this thread: http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=15637

The burning question is whether your ECU remap is visible to Vauxhall or your Insurance Company should they want to find it.

Some quotes from the previous thread:

Quote Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
    The remap I'm looking at by Angel Tuning claims to be

"diagnostically undetectable"

I was hoping not to declare it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross DTi 2.2 View Post
    There is no such thing as an undetectable remap, ever. The ECU checksum is changed when an updated map is written to it. All they need to do is look at the checksum figures and if its not what they're expecting, they know the car has been remapped.

All insurance field assessors are more than capable of telling if a car has been remapped or not. Its as simple as plugging their diagnostic laptop into the OBD2 socket on the car. The only circumstance you'd get away with it was if the ECU was damaged in the crash as they wouldn't be able to communicate with it.

A box is a different matter because its downstream from the ECU. If you have a bump and its likely that your insurance company is going to look at the car, simply take it off. They have no way of knowing it was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoshaw View Post
    The checksum can indeed be re-written to match the original as part of the re-map, which makes it un-detectable. (or extremely difficult to detect).
    The checksum cannot be changed to the original value. It is taken from data summation throughout about 10 different maps on the Vectra's ECU. If you change the checksum to the standard value the car will probably not even start, or if it does it will have all sorts of poor running problems like lumpy idle and stalling etc.

In the infancy of remapping, ECUs were simple enough to run with the original software checksum applied even with updated ignition, fueling and boost maps. This is no longer the case.

If you have a remapped ECU, the dealer or insurance company WILL find it if they are specifically looking for it. There is no question about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoshaw View Post
    Have a read at this post.

According to this it can and is done on the ecu fitted to the 3.0v6 cdti as in my car.

I've read the thread mate. I'm not going to go into a rant but I along with many others have my own feelings on the honesty and quality of service from that particular tuner.

The .bin file on the ecu has a checksum that is generated by a complex set of encrypted algorithms. This checksum changes whenever anything on the ECU is altered. You used to be able to alter them with a HEX editor and be done with it. Modern ECUs are far too complex to be fooled by this.

The checksum is there as a first line of defence to stop damage to your engine if the ECU has thrown a wobbler and some of the code has been changed. Changing the checksum back to the original value can now only be done if the original map data is on the ECU, ie, no remap.

I'm very sceptical of and wouldn't give a penny to any company who tells you their remaps are invisible. Any of the mainstream reputable tuners will till you that this is simply not the case.
    Last edited by Ross DTi 2.2; 25th November 2006 at 15:40. Reason: Additional quote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can correct the checksum with special software and when a diagnostic software is plugged in, everything ok. But you can just scroll to the boost section and have a look at the boost..... So impossible to be invisible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the technician knowns how to find it, you would be suprised how many don't know how to go this deep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have absolutely no idea what the answer to this one is, though I would suspect that IF someone knows what they are looking for, then yes it will be impossible to completely hide a remap.
    At the end of the day, not declaring it is not worth the risk IMO.
    You should judge the costs of any extra insurance premium in with the cost of the remap.

I've read the thread mate. I'm not going to go into a rant but I along with many others have my own feelings on the honesty and quality of service from that particular tuner.
    Guys, please feel free to discuss the question of whether a remap can be invisible or not, but please DO NOT go into the worth of that particular tuner.
    Sorry to jump on this straight away but we do not want to see this brought up on the forums again.
    Thank you.

Thread Information