How can I test whether or not my car has excessive current draw when switched off, locked and parked? My battery has not been able to start the engine twice now - first yesterday and then this morning.
I put the car on a voltmeter at the local friendly garage near work and it is charging at 14.4-14.5 volts, headlamps on or off - nice and steady. Occasionally, the lights dim or brighten slightly - interior and exterior.
I am wondering whether or not to chance a new battery (hasn't been changed since I've had the car - 5 1/2 years! ) or whether it might be the alternator has a diode pack that has gone bad and is allowing current to "leak" back from the battery whilst the car is parked.
Any ideas? I might try leaving the battery disconnected overnight tonight. But I am getting fed up jump starting the Vectra in the mornings!