Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 1.8VVT Oil Light

Hi Guys,

I've done a search for this and I didn't really find much of any help.Got the car a few weeks back and checked the oil. She was due a change, it was discolored but nothing major.

I gave it a new filter and 5w30 Magnatec Yesterday, and now the oil light stays on for 4-5 seconds after I start the engine?

Any thoughts on this, is it normal, I don't recall this problem before I touched it. Oil change went to plan, there are no odd noises from the engine, and everything "seems" normal?

The Oil is still clear and up to the correct level..... any thoughts?

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

Did you use a genuine filter, or el'cheapo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

El Cheapo from Halfords.... do you think this is the cause?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i used a partco filter. my light stayed on for a while, i topped it up and it went off, same engine btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Might it be that the filter needs to "soak up" some oil for it to work corrrectly?

Oddly though it doesn't happen when the engine is warm. If I restart after filling up with fuel, the oil light goes out straight away???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

Some filters have a one way valve to prevent it from draining down when the engine is off.

Not sure if that applies to yours, but the reason for the oil light staying on is maybe the filter has drained down and the light won't go off until the oil pressure has refilled it again.

Or maybe the filter you've bought is faulty and the valve isn't working correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

A Valve you say?
    Mine didn't have a valve, just the rubber o ring and the cartridge.... I will check the filter again tonight. I will go and get a VX Genuine of too on th way home. Is it going to do any harm in the short term? I mean she runs smooth, and there are no weird noises... Will it BE while I drive to VX to get a new one? Worried now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

First I will reassure you that mine does stay on for a few seconds, but not 5. I have a lower pressure oil switch you could fit which makes it instant, but there is no need really as the pressure stays the same just the light goes out at a different point....

Second I would say that it is normally worth buying the genuine filters. There are a few variations of filters that can look the same but can be different.... Often the there is very little price difference or it may be cheaper to get a genuine filter!!! My last one was £5.08 inc Vat so they don't break the bank...

Finally I will say from experience (my first 1.8 had problems and blew at 33k!!) that even through vauxhall recomend a 0w30 or 5w30 grade oil, it is much better on 10w40 full synthetic. The oil light goes out faster and the oil temperature is cooler... (The vvt's do get very hot oil, hence the lack of an undertray!!) I normally like to put the thinner oil in motors, and put 30 grade stuff in cars that say they need a 40. However on the vvt, the thicker oil does seem to be better even if vauxhall say otherwise!!!

Also I take no responsibly if you put different oils in, just offering my experience. What you do is up to you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mucklestone View Post
    First I will reassure you that mine does stay on for a few seconds, but not 5. I have a lower pressure oil switch you could fit which makes it instant, but there is no need really as the pressure stays the same just the light goes out at a different point....

Second I would say that it is normally worth buying the genuine filters. There are a few variations of filters that can look the same but can be different.... Often the there is very little price difference or it may be cheaper to get a genuine filter!!! My last one was £5.08 inc Vat so they don't break the bank...

Finally I will say from experience (my first 1.8 had problems and blew at 33k!!) that even through vauxhall recomend a 0w30 or 5w30 grade oil, it is much better on 10w40 full synthetic. The oil light goes out faster and the oil temperature is cooler... (The vvt's do get very hot oil, hence the lack of an undertray!!) I normally like to put the thinner oil in motors, and put 30 grade stuff in cars that say they need a 40. However on the vvt, the thicker oil does seem to be better even if vauxhall say otherwise!!!

Also I take no responsibly if you put different oils in, just offering my experience. What you do is up to you!
    Would you still use 10w40 fully synth on a high miler? ive got 107k on clock, and using 5w30 fully synth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra SRi

Engine : 1.8VVTi

Year : 2006

Both VVTi SRi's I've owned show the oil light for about 3-4 seconds after start up when cold. If the engine is warm or hasn't stood overnight the oil light always extinguishes straight away.

The symptons you've described are perfectly normal and based on my own experiences with this engine (both of mine were low mileage newish examples with FSH) i dont think you've anything to be worried about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information