Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Handbrake woes, please help.

I own a 2006 (56 reg) Vectra Exclusive 1.9 CDTI 120 BHP Hatch.
    I'm having a real headache regarding the handbrake, pull up a chair and i'll tell you the tale so far.
    8 weeks ago i noticed the handbrake was coming up too far, my garage that does ALL the servicing/mechanical work on it had it in. They discovered that the rear pads on the O/S were low so replaced them as a set, at the same time the caliper decided it wouldn't turn it's piston in (a common Vec C problem) so this too was replaced. Then the fun began.
    I use it as a taxi, a really nice one though, and Friday 5pm i collected it, by 8pm the AA were called out as the rear O/S brake was partially stuck on due to a seized handbrake linkage on the caliper, they freed it off, not completely but better than it was before but the next day i was back to my garage as it wasn't right. They replaced it with another which was ok for a week until it too decided to partially lock the O/S wheel.
    Back it went again, another caliper, then the cable was replaced as they thought the old one was snagging VERY slightly, As was well until 3 days later when the locking was replaced by a refusal for the handbrake to properly lock the O/S wheel.
    For the 4th time it went back and another caliper, plus they FULLY released the cables, and refitted them up, they got a superb handbrake but it only last a few days. MOT time came and it failed on a very low effort on the O/S handbrake.
    My garage had it back and they replaced the worn (but not horredeously so) rear discs and pads. They had it on a nearby brake tester and it registered really well on their gauge, so back for the MOTer to give it a check and pass.
    That lasted 2 days and the handbrake again went back to being rubbish, on a hill you can feel the rear 'kick' to one side. This shows that the O/S isn't locking that wheel properly.
    So before i go back AGAIN has anyone on here come across such a problem before, my garage is really good, i've used them for 4+ years and this is the first job that's got them perplexed.
    Sorry for the ramble but i wanted to give as much detail as possible so the remedy may be easier.
    Oh, and even though it's never suffered from the problem, it went in to my local Vauxhall dealer 18 months back for the handbrake mechanisim mod recall.
    So, to date it's had:

5 calipers
    A complete handbrake cable
    New Discs and pads

Jason.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)