Thread: My Letter To Trading Standards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default My Letter To Trading Standards.

I'm sure you will get the jist of what I'm on about from my letter. What you guys think? Think I will get anywhere?

Dear Sir/Madam,

Back in February 2011 I swapped my car (2007, 1.4TDCi Ford Fiesta Style, Reg: GFW 959K) for a car that was on a trader's forecourt, (2005, 1.9CDTi Vauxhall Vectra, Reg: MF55 ZJU).

The said Trader was:

CJ Car Centre LTD
    Downholland Bridge Business Park
    Mairscough Lane
    Ormskirk
    L39 7HT.

The Vauxhall Vectra had only recently been MOT'd in November 2010, curtious of CJ Car Centre, the place of MOT was,

Belmont MOT
    Unit 27
    Larch Lea Industrial Estate
    Liverpool
    L6 SAT.

Not being the most knowledgeable when it comes to cars, I took it for a test drive and everything seemed ok. When I got home that very day, I had problems starting the car, to which I called the AA and they came out and diagnosed it as a loose connection on the starter motor. I had a friend take care of this for me as a favour as I was always spending my time fixing his laptops.

A week later the car started squeeling whilst braking, and the brakes were not that effective. Again, I had the same friend look at it for me, to which he changed all 8 brake pads and 2 front brake discs. The old front pads were down to the metal and had scored the discs (bearing in mind the car was MOTd 3 months earlier and had only been sitting on the forecourt. As it was done by a friend I don't have proof of it being done, but do have a transaction on my bank statement for the discs and pads on 19th Feb 2011, from LVW Senar's Birkenhead.

A couple of months before the next MOT I had a local reputable garage (Vauxcare Wirral, Unit 2 Valiant Way, CH41 9HS) give my car an inspection in September 2011 to make sure it was roadworthy and would pass the MOT first time, it came back that work needed was:

CV Joint
    2 new front springs
    2 front tyres (I had this done elsewhere)
    Anti roll bar drop link
    Alternator Belt
    Several bulbs.

Optionally I also had the Cambelt & Waterpump changed. Total for the work was £583.23 from Vauxcare, and £60 for 2 part worn tyres.

I have now just started to get a rattle in the engine bay, which is the Dual Mass Flywheel. This needs to be renewed along with the clutch at a cost of approx £700. On the service booklet, the last service carried out by CJ Car Centre, on 11/01/11, they have wrote in "+ Clutch + Dualmass Flywheel" so I don't know were I stand on that as there are no receipts and they will probably just deny writing it in anyway.

Here is the part that worries me. As I was swapping my original car with the Vectra, they said the warranty it was advertised with was not included, and I had to purchase it seperately to be able to
    receive the car. As I had no cash to put to this (hence swapping my car and not buying one) I said I would not be able to do the swap. They then presented me with a form titled "SALE OF AN UNROADWORTHY VEHICLE ROAD TRAFFIC ACT 1988" and said the only way I could have the car and complete the swap is if I signed this, as they weren't allowed to let cars off their forecourt without a warranty. As the car had only recently received it's MOT and service, I couldn't see much of a problem, and going about it this way seemed reasonable considering they couldn't let it go without warranty, as this was the only way.

I also received a receipt which they asked me to sign which states:

Invoice To:
    Trade Cash Sale
    Trade Cash Sales
    For Breaking Or Repairs
    No Warranty Implied Or Given
    Sold As Seen.

Subtotal: £4,790.00
    Payments: £4,790.00
    Total: £0.00

Do I have a leg to stand on in getting the money for at least the repair for the Clutch & Dual Mass Flywheel which I am going to have to get done, and the £80 I spent on discs and pads back in February 2011. I know I signed the form for the Sale Of An Unroadworthy Vehicle and the receipt states it is for breaking or repairs, but considering the circumstances of the swap, and that the car was originally sitting on the forecourt to be sold as a working roadworthy vehicle with a current MOT. I have been led to believe I still hold some kind of warranty for major parts such as the clutch and DMF, which is the reason I have only just now decided to send this email.

I feel like I have been taken for a fool. When buying the car it didn't have any road tax, and they were trying to convince me to just drive it home without any road tax as (as I didn't have the money at the time) the most I will get if caught is a £40 fine. I didn't do this and I borrowed the money and insisted they get it taxed.

If I can't reclaim any costs back then I hope this email comes in handy if they have had any more complaints against them for supplying dangerous cars (remember that the car was on the forecourt to be sold as a working roadworthy car irrespective of how my swap went and the forms I signed).

Thanks in advance,

John Pritchard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

To be brutally honest, I think the brakes are questionable. The rest I think is just the chances you take in buying any used car. IMHO.

Especially things that came up at the next MOT. No relevance to your purchase of the vehicle nor responsibility of the dealer. A lot can happen to a vehicle in almost a year.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : z

Trim : z

Engine : z

Year : z

Regarding the warranty, I thought ALL dealers HAD TO give a warranty with cars?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sadfully I agree, but would love a good result. If no money I hope the cowboy's get shut down. Their website now goes to Formby Car Centre, why the name change? Sounds dodgy to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by tony-1977 View Post
    I got that unroadworthy vehicle form instead apparently that could solve the warranty issue, that's what I'm worried about. Basically signed for a Spares or Repair vehicle just to get around the warranty bit. Should have said no but really wanted the car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not a chance. Complaint a year later on a 6 year old car?

The recipt you signed pretty much covers them, don't get your hopes up at all.

"Where the WIFE tells me", but mainly in the DOG HOUSE....
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by tony-1977 View Post
    They do mate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

The warranty is usually 3months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by armoured farmer View Post
    They do mate
    Only on RETAIL sales. Not signed TRADE sales...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

From the looks of what you signed it as been sold as spares or repair, and a trade sale, if trading standards ask them anything they can say you were told it needed a bit of work on it and so on.
    The garage does sound dodgy though but I think this is going to have to be one chalked up to experience.

Thread Information