Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI hatch

Engine : z19dth

Year : 2006

Mileage : 110000

Default Pointless garage accreditation scheme

Hi All,

Just been speaking to a garage in Leeds (wont give name but they have a couple of garages, one in Halton near Matalan and one in Harehills so locals will know who I mean) who are apparently accredited with Bosch, OFT and ATA.

Wanted quote to replace inlet manifold on cdti150 telling him the Swirl valves were shot. came back to me with the sucking of air telling me its a difficult job at least 5-6 hours so was gonna cost £700 to supply and fit!
    after getting back up i asked if that was including all parts, gaskets, motor manifold etc and was surprised that a garage with all these accreditations came back and said it was manifold and gasket only and seemed surprised when I mentioned it!!

So not only are they overquoting time to complete and charging extra Labour but they appear to be incompetent by not following the requirement as stated by VX, Pierburg, SAAB and FIAT regarding the motor he didnt even try to charge me it as an add on he was just unaware of it. had I been a normal Joe and trusted them I would have been ripped off massively!!! Shame as they used to be a good garage.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Mk1 renault scenic... I know I know but it drives

Trim : Basic

Engine : 1.6 16v

Year : 2003

Doesn't need to be whole garage for them accreditations

Can be 1 technician in their.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thats what makes it a pointless scheme, am so glad I dont need to use garages for most things.

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Have you tried changing the inlet manifold? Took me about that length of time. There's also no need to change the swirl actuator unless it's not working, and the only parts it actually consists of are the manifold and gasket - there's nothing else that actually needs changing.

Why not try it yourself and see how you get on...?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : GSi

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 2003

Mileage : 202,000

To be fair, they do indeed sound like an utterly pointless garage. There seem to be a lot of these 'sharp operators' about - and not just in the garage business. There are scammers EVERYWHERE.

Get some alternative quotations elsewhere and don't forget to wave your friendly garage goodbye, if you know what I mean , as you make for the exit.

Paul
    2003 Vauxhall Vectra GSi 3.2 V6

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold101 View Post
    Have you tried changing the inlet manifold? Took me about that length of time. There's also no need to change the swirl actuator unless it's not working, and the only parts it actually consists of are the manifold and gasket - there's nothing else that actually needs changing.

Why not try it yourself and see how you get on...?
    I would expect 5 hours or so for myself too, but that would include getting tools out of shed etc and doing it in the street. they are a "professional" garage. TIS quotes 3.4hrs incidentally just had a quote from Bankside Garage, who said its 4hrs labour (£180) + parts (£227 manifold + 130 Motor + bits) slight difference dont you think?

As for the motor argument, firstly they are a professional garage charging to perform a task, as such they are obliged to at the very least inform you of what the manufacturer states needs doing in relation to that task. with the option to pay extra, just like timing belt changes, pollen filters etc. Unfortunately he was totally oblivious to the requirement.

Have looked into this a bit and the reason you change appears to be because it learns the range of movement from fully closed to fully open on the valves on the first power up This looks to be slightly different on each manifold (manufacturing tolerances and the valves have been re-designed anyway) which could result in the valves either not fully closing or not fully opening. Some get away with it and dont notice a difference, others dont and as it would need fitting to a new manifold anyway and the job to fit/chnge later is it worth not doing it?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by clightowler View Post
    I would expect 5 hours or so for myself too, but that would include getting tools out of shed etc and doing it in the street. they are a "professional" garage. TIS quotes 3.4hrs incidentally just had a quote from Bankside Garage, who said its 4hrs labour (£180) + parts (£227 manifold + 130 Motor + bits) slight difference dont you think?

As for the motor argument, firstly they are a professional garage charging to perform a task, as such they are obliged to at the very least inform you of what the manufacturer states needs doing in relation to that task. with the option to pay extra, just like timing belt changes, pollen filters etc. Unfortunately he was totally oblivious to the requirement.

Have looked into this a bit and the reason you change appears to be because it learns the range of movement from fully closed to fully open on the valves on the first power up This looks to be slightly different on each manifold (manufacturing tolerances and the valves have been re-designed anyway) which could result in the valves either not fully closing or not fully opening. Some get away with it and dont notice a difference, others dont and as it would need fitting to a new manifold anyway and the job to fit/chnge later is it worth not doing it?
    I'll agree a garage would be a lot quicker than me doing it, and in fact I'D be a lot quicker next time due to having a better idea what I'm doing. While I agree with you that the garage is certainly not a perfect example, I just took offence to the OP blasting a garage for giving him a quote for a job which he has no experience of doing himself. Luckily he has a choice and doesn't have to go there...

As regards the motor, that was new to me there mate. Whether it learns or not I've no idea - seems a little complicated to me for what is simply a motor that moves one way or the other but I've never really looked into it. The fact that it can be changed separately from the manifold anyway meant I had no reason to replace it at an extra £100 quid, and have never had any issues since. In my eyes any garage insisting on it being changed too is just out to make a quick buck...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

have got to admit, I cannot see why Pierburg designed it as a "once only" learn, as you say if the motor itself works why can it not be reset to go with a new manifold, tho if Tech 2 was needed to do it by the time the stealers have added the extra hour labour to do it etc it would cost the same.!!

as for the original post, I wouldnt have criticised a garage for a job that I couldnt do myself, unfortunately only reason I am looking at a garage is because I dont have anywhere indoors to do it myself and dont want to contaminate fuel post filter by trying it outdoors in winter and weather stopping play I am still hoping I can keep it running till the weather improves and I will do it myself. Personally I think that the first garage are using an old Autodata or TIS record which states that the timing belt needs removing. Either that or a Haynes manual off the shelf lol.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by clightowler View Post
    Personally I think that the first garage are using an old Autodata or TIS record which states that the timing belt needs removing. Either that or a Haynes manual off the shelf lol.
    Don't knock it - I used the Haynes manual and the How2 on here when i did mine, but you're right that the timing belt doesn't need removing. Did you watch the video I did mate...?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Pre Face, Colour Coded, CR Tech Box, Pipercross Panel filte, Blanked EGR :-)

Trim : Club

Engine : 1.9cdti 16v

Year : 2005

had mine done under a private warranty the quoted bill was 600 odd quid.
    had to wait an extra day aswell as some sort of special tool was required at some point (dont know if this is true)
    think its a good 5 hour job though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information