User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google

spoons

Default Google

I dont like the way this is all heading....

I got an email from Google yesterday. Did you get one?

Basically they are changing their terms of service which applies from 1st March 2012.

If you continue to use their service from that point, you will be legally bound to their terms and conditions.

like...

"When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. "

spoons

The reason I'm not happy is that I think its just one small step away from Google being a chargeable subscription service.

I can see them taking the internet data store for themselves and charging access to it.

Its just wrong.

The Americans dont own the internet !!! ... or do they !!

Argh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Nissan GT-R R35 Vectra XP2 CDTI

Trim : Nissan GT-R R35

Engine : 3.8 twin turbo 700hp

Year : 2010

thats easy fella just use another search engine

spoons

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvectra View Post
    thats easy fella just use another search engine
    Yes but I see the whole 'internet seach engine' theme going down the subscription route.

Access to internet data and who controls it is big business

So many people will upload data using these services which will then be legally held for the rest of their lives. You cant get it back off them !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Tourer

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTI (160ps)

So do they class their spiders crawling websites as users "submitting" content? If so then Google is trying to claim rights over the content on every website on the internet near enough (with the exception of ones that use a robots.txt file to prevent spidering).
    "Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Maptun Tuned 2.0T Estate - click HERE for mods list.
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

spoons

Quote Originally Posted by Ian-Highlander View Post
    So do they class their spiders crawling websites as users "submitting" content? If so then Google is trying to claim rights over the content on every website on the internet near enough (with the exception of ones that use a robots.txt file to prevent spidering).
    Business uses of our Services

If you are using our Services on behalf of a business, that business accepts these terms. It will hold harmless and indemnify Google and its affiliates, officers, agents, and employees from any claim, suit or action arising from or related to the use of the Services or violation of these terms, including any liability or expense arising from claims, losses, damages, suits, judgments, litigation costs and attorneys’ fees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by spoons View Post
    Yes but I see the whole 'internet seach engine' theme going down the subscription route
    They already charge for some services
    The new T&Cs simply merge together all the different languages and platforms, rather than having different versions for each platform
    I don't see anything wrong with it

The hosting refers mainly to YouTube
    The charges refer to Wallet
    and so on

I have five google accounts and it will not make any difference to any of them

spoons

Quote Originally Posted by Ian-Highlander View Post
    This also includes YouTube submitted content...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Tourer

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTI (160ps)

I did get the email (as I have two gmail accounts, a youtube account and a googleads account, none of which I really use anymore) and to be honest ignored it pretty much. Having just done a bit of reading around on the net there's a LOT of paranoia out there about this change in TOS and if I'm honest I think some of it's justified. The way that particular phrase is worded, basically anything that ends up on Googles servers belongs to them (or at least they retain the rights to use it as they please). Now if that's the case then I for one do have a major issue with that, my photos on my website for example are my copyright and I don't grant people use of them unless they ask me individually, so if they spider it and they end up on googles servers for their search engine, they suddenly can do what they want with them?

However, the thing that concerns me more (for other people not me as I dont use it anymore) is gmail, basically anyone using google for email under those terms and conditions are giving anything they send through googles servers to Google. Now I know that physically the content is on their servers and that is the case with any email provider (I run my own mail servers for others to use too), but I've never seen any provider claim they can do what they like with that content before and if this is the case it's a worrying trend.
    "Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Maptun Tuned 2.0T Estate - click HERE for mods list.
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information