Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused Resistor Pack Replacement

The heater control on my 2008 Vectra estate has packed up working on settings 1 to 3, but is still working on 4 and also on the windscreen demister. From other threads this would appear to be a case of the resistor pack giving up the ghost, though I'm unsure why as the pollen filter housing is clear of debris and there doesn't seem to be any water getting in.

Having looked at various other threads, I'm unclear whether the resistor pack can be replaced simply by taking the glove box and housing out, or if the passenger footwell housing needs to come out too. If it's the glove box only, then it looks like removing five Torx screws and hey presto, you're in. It though it's via the passenger footwell, then I'm less sure what I need to undo and remove, and the sequence of work involved. Also, it's a bit close to the passenger airbag, so are there any do's or don'ts where this is concerned? And finally, being an estate, are there any differences to hatchback and saloon variants?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

Have you looked at the HOW2?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

10 minute job - see the How2.

Undo two Torx bolts at bottom of glovebox.
    Open glovebox.
    Remove light and disconnect.
    Undo three Torx bolts to top of glovebox.
    Remove glovebox.
    Look right at the back of the footwell, where the floor meets the bulkhead and you'll see the wiring for the motor and resistor pack.
    Unplug resistor pack wiring (black plug into white socket on duct)
    Remove resistor pack (press clip and slide to release)
    Repair/replace (new thermal fuse is a lot cheaper than new resistor pack)
    Refit everything.

Don't worry about the airbag, although you can see it when the glove box is off, you won't need to go anywhere near it as you'll be working at the back of the footwell.

As to why it's failed, I have some theories, as mine's done it several times before I got to the bottom of it. The fuse fails because the pack gets too hot. The pack gets too hot because there's not enough air passing over it to keep it cool. So you have to ask - what's slowing the airflow down?
    Most obvious is a blocked/damp pollen filter, but you've checked that. Other things to look at are the fan catching on the housing or motor (this is what it was in mine), or the fan being clogged with dirt. Stiff motor bearings are another possibility.

If the resistor pack keeps blowing the thermal fuse, try not using fan speed 1, as this is the one that causes the resistor pack to be hottest (to slow the motor), and has least airflow to cool it. If it's fine for a couple of weeks like that, then you know it's an airflow issue.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 57 zafira 1.9 cdti design

Trim : design

Engine : 1.9 cdti

Year : 2008

if it keeps blowing the fuse, thats usually due to the filter being blocked and not allowing enough air in on setting one and the resistor gets too hot and blows the thermal fuse.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default heater problem

Remove filter and see if the fan spins by hand (ignition off)
    If water has got in through the filter it can rust the fan spindle causing it to slow or stop blowing the thermal fuse. There are write up's about greasing and modding the heater motor.

You can replace the thermal fuse as several people have. 10 min job
    I did mine early Dec 2011 and all has been fine since and its used every day at this time of year.

Thermal fuse for 82p

http://vectra-c.com/forum/showthread...39#post1678039

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Resistor Pack Replacement

Many thanks all. Went in via the glove box recess, and pack changed in just 10 minutes. The old pack had a few traces of rust around the thermal fuse, but otherwise all as dry as a bone around there. Fan checked as per recommendation via the pollen filter inlet and all spinning okay and no muck or debris present. When I bought the car in 2009 the scuttle in front of the pollen filter was full of dead leaves and usual crud, so I wonder if it's just a legacy from getting damp then and the rust slowly working its way through. Anyway, I'll get the fuse on the old resistor pack changed and keep the unit as a spare just in case it happens again.

Certainly saved myself a few bob looking on this forum, and thanks to all for your help.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : life

Engine : 1800

Year : 2008

Default vectra c fan blower resistor changing

Quote Originally Posted by EstateMan View Post
    The heater control on my 2008 Vectra estate has packed up working on settings 1 to 3, but is still working on 4 and also on the windscreen demister. From other threads this would appear to be a case of the resistor pack giving up the ghost, though I'm unsure why as the pollen filter housing is clear of debris and there doesn't seem to be any water getting in.

Having looked at various other threads, I'm unclear whether the resistor pack can be replaced simply by taking the glove box and housing out, or if the passenger footwell housing needs to come out too. If it's the glove box only, then it looks like removing five Torx screws and hey presto, you're in. It though it's via the passenger footwell, then I'm less sure what I need to undo and remove, and the sequence of work involved. Also, it's a bit close to the passenger airbag, so are there any do's or don'ts where this is concerned? And finally, being an estate, are there any differences to hatchback and saloon variants?

I read a lot of threads but it still wasn't clear so i am copying this which is easy to follow and clear

Undo 3No screws (torx type) holding top of glove box to dash(just under chrome strip on my dash in glove box recess).Support glove box and undo two remaining screws near the bottom of the glove box door.
    Carefully lift out towards seat and unplug glovebox light.
    This then enables you get at the resistor.(pull passenger fully back for better access.
    You will not be able to fully see the resistor as i have read on some postings(other models).
    It is situated adjacent to the centre console (underneath)and all that is visible is the white plastic plug part of the resistor.(You would know what i mean if you took the new part out of the box).
    Firstly you unplug the wires into it.(squeeze plug at both ends and pull.It is a bit stiff to remove)
    Then you push the left hand side of the resistor towards the centre console and it drops out.(Mine was corroded where the resistor is attached to the big green thing, no idea what the big green thing is).
    When fitting new resistor be sure to push resistor to left to lock the four lugs and stopping it falling out.Rest of procedure is in reverse.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c

Trim : ls

Engine : 2.o dti

Year : 04

Mileage : 254700

Hi People,

A few months back I bought another Vectra 2.0 DTI estate,my heater control has defaulted to no 4 speed only.

Would the thermal fuse have blown if it still runs on speed 4?

have ordered the pack of ebay.

Cheers.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Lada

Trim : Riva

Engine : 6.0 V12

Year : 1954

Mileage : 567890987

Yes.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.0 CDTI

Year : 2005

Hi, is this the same for the 7 speed fan do you know? Works fine on 6/7 for as long as you like but reduce the speed down to say 3 and it stops completely. Strangest thing is if I turn off the engine then come back to the car say within 15/20 minutes the fan refuses to work on any speed. Turn off and go back say 3/4hrs later and the fan will work on 6/7 again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information