User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: broken spring

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SCOTLAND
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default broken spring

    Got a broken front spring, should i just replace it or go for a set of lowering springs? Not got a big budjet lol! 06 vec sri cdti 150 I saw FK ones on ebay, around 70 quid for a full set.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Signum-Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cramlington Northumberland, V6 Jaguar S-type Sport
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Jaguar S-Type V6

    Trim : Sport

    Engine : Petrol

    Year : 2003

    Default

    you can get a full set of ebach's for £160 delivered. They go well with the sri shocks.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South east
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b1lly View Post
    Got a broken front spring, should i just replace it or go for a set of lowering springs? Not got a big budjet lol! 06 vec sri cdti 150 I saw FK ones on ebay, around 70 quid for a full set.
    Never replace just one spring, as the new one will handle differently to the old one on the other end of that axle. Either replace both the springs on the axle or all four.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Ste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    ..... Driving the Jaguar XF
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

    Trim : Black

    Engine : 3.0D V6

    Year : 0000

    Default

    I don't agree, if the spring on the other side of the axle is in good condition, there is no real need to replace both.
    As long as you replace the spring with the same type, load rating etc it will be absolutely fine to just replace the broken spring.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South east
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    I don't agree, if the spring on the other side of the axle is in good condition, there is no real need to replace both.
    As long as you replace the spring with the same type, load rating etc it will be absolutely fine to just replace the broken spring.
    Fair enough, you don't agree - but you're disagreeing with a VERY commonly held and well informed view, so other than people who knowingly put money before safety, you're in a minority of one. How do you decide that a spring is in good condition? Unless it's only a few months old it will almost certainly be shorter than a new one, who will bother to remove it just to measure it? Springs don't suddenly go from being in perfect condition one day to being broken the next - they lose their bounce long before they break.

    Copied from the Lesjofors Automotive website:

    Why do you recommend replacing springs in pairs, although it might be only one spring broken?
    When only 1 spring is replaced across an axle, the life expectancy of the other spring will decrease and the car may be imbalanced. Failure to replace springs in axle pairs can lead to an uneven ride height, less responsive steering, less secure road holding, increased braking distance, increased tyre wear and increased fuel consumption.

  6. #6
    Ex Vec-C Admin Deztroyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    WGAF#5
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    As above ... Virtually all manufacturers would fully recommend that the springs are replaced in matched pairs ... Although your current budget may not extend now to allowing this to be completed .. If you do decide to fit one spring only as a cheaper option and then decide to replace all later it's a slightly false economy as your paying someone to do one spring twice..

    If I cannot afford to have all four replaced at present purchase a decent set of springs ( the Eibachs are fully recommended by most on here as a suitable replacement and upgrade) then fit the front two now ... And when You have a bit more spare dosh ...get the rears replaced with the outstanding two then

    My tuppence worth

    0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

  7. #7
    Regular Member Ben50n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Seaham
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    I would always replace in pairs, if one has been weak and snapped, there is a good chance the other will soon do the same.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Ste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    ..... Driving the Jaguar XF
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

    Trim : Black

    Engine : 3.0D V6

    Year : 0000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebellion View Post
    Fair enough, you don't agree - but you're disagreeing with a VERY commonly held and well informed view, so other than people who knowingly put money before safety, you're in a minority of one. How do you decide that a spring is in good condition? Unless it's only a few months old it will almost certainly be shorter than a new one, who will bother to remove it just to measure it? Springs don't suddenly go from being in perfect condition one day to being broken the next - they lose their bounce long before they break.

    Copied from the Lesjofors Automotive website:

    Why do you recommend replacing springs in pairs, although it might be only one spring broken?
    When only 1 spring is replaced across an axle, the life expectancy of the other spring will decrease and the car may be imbalanced. Failure to replace springs in axle pairs can lead to an uneven ride height, less responsive steering, less secure road holding, increased braking distance, increased tyre wear and increased fuel consumption.
    Well, I can only say that I have sought the advice from suspension Engineers (people who design, validate and signoff) and they agreed with me IF the remaining spring is in good condition.



    So, I would say that they are the experts on the matter.

    And very commonly held beliefs are not always true.

    The industry MAY have a vested interest in replacing 'good' parts, don't you think?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Broken spring-what to do?
    By scotty84 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 6th January 2011, 20:10
  2. broken o/s/f spring
    By bat30 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 27th August 2009, 21:33
  3. broken spring!
    By the-wizard in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2nd June 2008, 19:37
  4. Another broken spring...
    By shunter in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28th May 2008, 12:31
  5. broken spring
    By toshiba in forum Suspension, Wheels & Brakes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th May 2008, 21:57

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •