User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vectra C Heater Fan Removal - How?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Vectra C Heater Fan Removal - How?

Hi,

I need to change the fan blower on my Vectra C (55 plate) as it is squealing and has finally caused the resistor pack to give up.

So, I can change the pack and I have a replacement fan from a breaker in the casing, but I cannot see how to remove the torx screws holding the fan casing under the dash. Is it possible to do this or do I have to remove the entire heating ductwork (please no).

With the glove box out it just seems to be the position of the torx screws around the back of the fan housing that are defeating me - I struggle to get my hand around let alone with a screwdriver. Oh, and the one at the top right at the front.

Am I missing something simple? I've seen posts where people have said it took them half an hour, so what's the trick

Will be trying again on Saturday.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Dead easy job. Seven Torx bolts hold the fan/motor casing on. You'll need a T15 Torx driver on either a flexible or very short handle, as there are two at the back very close to the floor. I have a flexible shaft driver, which worked a treat for both the ones close the the floor and the ones high up.

You'll need to remove the footwell duct (one T15 holding it to the fan casing, then pull and wiggle) first. Unplug the resistor and fan motor, and remove the resistor pack. Then undo the seven screws, release the three clips (one at the front, one to the left and one at the back near where the resistor pack goes). Then it's a matter of wiggling and rotating the fan assembly so it comes out the bottom. Refitting is far easier!

3. Thanks IanR1969 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Excellent thanks. Will get a flexible driver for Saturday and have a go.

Cheers
    mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You could probably get those two at the back with a very short driver too, but I think a flexible one is just generally a useful tool to have anyway.

The arrows on the diagram in the Haynes manual are a bit confusing, but they are actually in the correct places.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

All fitted now. Some of the screws at the back were awkward to say the least especially when putting them back, and dropping the assembly past the dashboard frame took some wiggling, but jobs a good-un now.

Thanks for the pointers. So good to have a working fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah, it's clear that it will fit past the dashboard supports, but it takes a fair bit of turning it round and round until it actually does!

What I should have said was whilst you've got the casing off and can see where the motor is, drill a 5mm hole at the bottom so any water that does find it's way past the pollen filter can at least drip out into the footwell rather than corroding the motor. Obviously you can do it with the fan in situ, but there's a risk of you hitting the motor or it's supports if you drill too far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Facelift

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9Cdti 150

Year : 2007

Quote Originally Posted by rich r View Post
    Dead easy job. Seven Torx bolts hold the fan/motor casing on. You'll need a T15 Torx driver on either a flexible or very short handle, as there are two at the back very close to the floor. I have a flexible shaft driver, which worked a treat for both the ones close the the floor and the ones high up.

You'll need to remove the footwell duct (one T15 holding it to the fan casing, then pull and wiggle) first. Unplug the resistor and fan motor, and remove the resistor pack. Then undo the seven screws, release the three clips (one at the front, one to the left and one at the back near where the resistor pack goes). Then it's a matter of wiggling and rotating the fan assembly so it comes out the bottom. Refitting is far easier!
    Very Good information.But
    I have the Signum Elite with 7 speed Dual Climate control are these motors the same as the 4 speed ones and where is the controller fitted on these. The rotary dial switches through the seven speeds which show up on the display and some times the motor runs ok then slows right down and kind of steps round bit like a stepping motor.
    Does the contoller also work the Aircon Unit as this is showing it is working but there is no sound of the Air-Con pump switching on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

No idea I'm afraid - the original poster has a 4-speed one like mine.

I suspect it's broadly the same though, but with a different resistor pack.

Thread Information