Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Any builders / building insulation advice

Hi,

Like most people with a conservatory we only get about 3 months use out of it as it is either too cold in winter or too hot in summer.

I am looking at getting the roof replaced with a solid, lightweight tiled roof like this one http://www.guardianroof.co.uk/

I also want to insulate the cavity walls with insulating board.

What I need to know is what insulation value does the roof and walls have to reach in order to comply with building regs? and what is the easiest or best cavity wall insulation to use?

I have contacted my local Council but they will not give any advice what so ever unless I pay for a full application.

What I intend to do is get it insulated properly then take down the doors between the dining room and conservatory to open things up a bit.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

On second thoughts, there may not be a cavity in the walls so what insulation can I fasten to the internal walls that works?

Thanks!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The problem with adding a roof is that you normally have to get planning permission to do so and councils do not like giving it because in their mind instead of an add-on conservatory it becomes an extension. This also means you have to mean a lot more regs in terms of insulation, strength etc....

The second thing is the strength. Normally on a conservatory the roof is supported by the windows which is fine because it is so light. You and I both know the conservatory windows will support a roof quite easily but that will not meet regs. You will need to add some sort of pillar in each corner, either steel, a solid piece of timber or a brick pillar. If it is a large conservatory then you may need one in the middle. It is a big job to add a proper tiled roof to a conservatory.

However this is doing it the proper way. Do you know the neighbours well? I would talk to them to see what they think of you doing it. They are the ones who are going to complain.... Perhaps you could do it yourself without consulting the council??

Nowadays you can get some very good conservatory that are well insulated. It would be costly but perhaps look into a new one??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

as above tbh... you have already spoken to the council about what you want to do, without planning & regs it aint going to happen, they will be on to you like a shot...
    shop around for some decent polly carb panels made to fit your existing framework or invest in a new better rated conservatory altogether.
    or just think outside the box

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

you will need building regs as roof is more than 50% solid area as allowed,the company you are looking at buys these kits from here http://xtraliteroofsystem.co.uk/ if you real direct you will get a better deal as i deal with this company as well, ask for david hes a good chap and will help with building regs and calcs required,these roofs are not cheap but if you are a good diy er you will manage,they have the best u value ive seen in any product so should be warmer than sitting in your house,also consider changing the glass in the frames to an A rated glass and you will be in there all year round,i hope this helps and if i can help further pm me

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : SXi

Engine : 2.2

I have cavity wall insulation in my conservatory (3.5m x 5.5m with a dwarf wall of 600mm and one full wall)and have a 1000mm rad in it and we can use it all year round, get no condensation and its used like any other room in the house. We have the normal tinted plastic roof. The floor has 3 layers of 6mm insulating board and a laminate floor with perfect fit blinds which do help retain the heat.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Actually your conservatory is highly likely to fall within "Permitted Building Development", i.e. it doesn't increase your house size by enough to need planning permission, so I suggest you confirm that with your council and then speak to the Building Regulations dept (who will still have to be involved even if no planning permission is needed).

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

building regulations differ from council to council but in my experience if you go to them direct they will be helpful, there is a lot of glass out there that have good heat deflection and retention qualities so look into that as well

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for all the advice guys, everyone is so helpfull as always.

It would appear that I am not living in a conservation area or restricted development area so changing the polycarb roof to a tiled one does not require any planning consent particularly as I am not changing the dimensions of the existing structure.

Building regs apply but because the existing roof including the framework is removed and replaced with a strengthened alluminium frame before the lightweight tiled system is installed, there is not much difference in weight between the new roof and the existing one so the foundations dont need to be altered. Same as the xtralite system.

Basically the only part that building regs are concerned about seems to be the insulation values as I will be removing the internal doors from the dining room. I know the roof insulation meets the required level but the cavity in the walls isn't wide enough to insulate.

I'm trying to find something to line the walls with which complies with building regs for insulation values without being six inches thick and reducing the internal dimensions too much.

Tonyord i will pm you.

Thanks for everyones help.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

one thing to add about these roofs they qualify for vat @ 5% not the normal 20% so its a win win situation

Thread Information