Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Will this be a big mistake??

Hello,

I'm new to the site but have been reading posts over the last few days and am impressed with the knowledge and information that is forth coming. It is because of that knowledge that i have come straight to the main forum because time is not on my side.

So, here goes!!

I'm about to buy a 04 plate Signum 3.0V6 CDTi auto elite. 74k, FSH,, electric everything, in black. Looks stunning with mutli spoke 18'' alloys and rear tints, irmischer grill. Its a stunning looking car and drives really well. All the electric gizmos work and there is no smoke on acceleration.

I did some Signum research prior to looking at these cars and decided that the 2.2 wasnt for me due to its ''issues''!!

I then revisited the forum and found that the V6 seems to be just as unreliable.

Is this the case?

I spoke to a vauxhall mechanic who stated that they were pretty good, unlike the 2.2. (Although he did say the 2.2 was a lovely engine, but had issues!!)

My local mechanic also said that the V6's were OK, but having read the forums Ive now got this nagging feeling that I'm about to make a massive mistake and buy a car that may be a money pit. (More so than any other car!!!)

I'm currently driving a Saab 93 Sportwagon, 1.9 TDi so already have one foot in the Vauxhall camp!!

Sadly, I have no idea how an engine works so if the engine was iffy I would have to pay to have it rectified rather than try and do it myself.

Hopefully someone can help, and I'm sorry if this question has already been asked elsewhere.

Thank you for reading,

Paul.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Toyota

Trim : Yaris Hybrid

Engine : 1.5 Hybrid

Year : 2021

Mileage : 5525

not heard to many problems with the v6cdti ...........

and sounds like a stunning motor ... get it bought

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

The V6's are good units, they don't go wrong much however when they do go wrong they don't give your wallet any sympathy. The one you are looking at will be a 177PS unit which seems to be a bit better than the later 184PS versions. This may still come with a DPF (Deisel Particulate Filter) which are a genuine nuisance on any car they are fitted too - people generally have more hassle with the DPF's than the engine tbh.

As soulman said btw get it bought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I forgot to say that its up for 3495, which seem to be a good price. As the saying goes, a lot of car for the money!!

How will I know if its got a DPF and how will I know its faulty and if it is faulty how much do they cost to repair??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not sure abount repair costs however the way to tell if ithas one is to get under the car and have a look at the exhaust down pipes there will be a big "Box" just before the Catalytic coverter this will be the DPF if it aint there your ok.

Go get it mate, if you have doubts dont test drive it or you'll just end up buying it lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

And there lies the problem, Ive already driven it and want it!! Hence the panic post!!

I drove it on Friday and tried to log onto here on saturday but there was a problem with the activation emails so couldnt get on until today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Sri

Engine : 140 Ecoflex S/S

Year : 2013

How much tread on the tyres Wilky? A new set could set you back approx £400. And then is the car taxed and tested? Could be more £'s or a bargaining tool.

As no one knows too much about the V6 CDTi, you'll probably be in the lap of your local VX stealer and even then they're a bit thick and slow and don't know that much.

But heh, I've only had mine for a few months and love it - thank god for this forum otherwise I'd have been lost with the problems I've had.

I guess you've looked at some of the threads in the V6 CDTi forum http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=254 - it ain't all bad .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

With 75K miles for £3500 I'd buy it!
    My own at 130K miles is still valued at £3000 (although as soon as the 12 reg appear it will probably be down to £2000)

Yes you could haggle for the tax disc "wow look at that, that's expensive" and tyres below 3mm as they won't last long

As a private sale, purchase a third party warranty
    I would recommend the AA repair breakdown policy (if only I was getting commission for these)
    This should cover just about anything and everything that can go wrong on this car

A LONG test drive is required, to make sure the DMF is in good condition and that it is not suffering from a block SCV
    Don't worry or be concerned about excessive black smoke
    Apart from that, the usual Vectra tests should be carried out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah, I did look at the forums and it was that that put me off!!

Tyres are all good, apart from one which the dealer replaced. Its got a few months tax and MOT'd until August. Comes with standard 3 month warranty.

How would I know if the DMF is in bad condition and whats a SCV?

Theres not much negotiation due to the price and I got more than £200 than book for my Saab.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Its an auto so won't have a DMF! Just proves some people don't read posts correctly. Don't worry about the SCV's (part of the high pressure fuel pump) unless you feel it "mis firing". They are a very good engine, just be glad you didn't buy a 1.9 150!

Also, being a 2004 its probably not got a DPF either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information