Is the car OBD1 or OBD2?
(1) Was the car made to be sold in America from 1996 onwards or is it a car that was imported into the USA from 1996?
(2) Is the car petrol and registered new from 2001 year for the European car market?
(3) Is the car diesel and registered new from 2004 year for the European car market?
(4) Has the car got a small D shaped 16 pin diagnostic socket located inside the car
If the answer to question (1) is yes, the car is OBD2
If the answer to Questions 2, 3 & 4 are yes, the car should be OBD2
If the answer is only yes to question (4) the car will normally be * OBD1
* Many Ford, cars are an exception to the normal rule. Ford put the OBD2 system into some Ford petrol engine cars sold in Europe from 1996 onwards but not in the the Escort model.