0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default EML light occasionally not coming on for ignition. Car wont start

As per my last thread, the car is a 150 CDTI 06 plate. Occasionally when I come to start the car the EML light doesnt come on and I get no start. The starter doesn't even try to turn the car over.

This mainly happens after a drive but will start almost everytime if left over night. Even this is not guarenteed tho, and sometimes in the morning it will need a few turns of the key before the EML turns on.

Once EML is on, the car starts instantly, literally 2-3 cranks and it fires. It drives perfectly, no power steering loss, no heart attacks never cuts out. Drove it none stop to luton and back from Leeds without issue.

Here's what I've done. Replaced battery, replaced relays R7, R8 and R11 in engine bay fuse box, checked all fuses, added extra earth from chassis to Suspension (near hydraulic fluid bottle) and finally.. read fault codes. No fault codes existed.

The only thing to mention is that on the dash it shows that a bulb is out, however all bulbs are working perfectly. This light has been on for over a year, way before the start issue showed up.

Anyone any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

had an Expert from a website answer my question... he gave me the following reply.. Do you think he's going along the right lines????

Hello again, thank you for the info..and for clarifying the earth points - I just needed to be sure..
    The next thing to check is the main engine management Ecu - check the connection block to it... as if you have a bad connection there - you will have problems with the light circuit / starting.

Also check the fuse for the light circuit - named as "diagnostic socket" ... ***I had to look this up myself.. he means fuse No 11 in the fuse box at the passenger side of the dash, its listed in the Haynes book as F11, 7.5 amp. diagnostic connector**** check that the fuse is good / good contacts and repair / renew if not...and retry.

If that is all all ok - check the wiring loom to the ecu for signs of chaffing anywhere or other problems - as this is common.

If nothing as above is found to be at fault.. earth the body of the Ecu by attaching an earth cable to the ecu mount bolt -and to a good earth on the body of the car... and retry.

One way or the other, you are likely to find the cure as above - IF not , then its time for plug in diagnostics.. This may well reveal an ecu internal fault - if so ..then its time to have the ecu sent away for test / repair. There are many ecu repair companies on the net - found with a google search.. and you can choose one that suits you and then go from there. Or of course - whichever the diagnostic result sends you - it may find something other... but that would be the cost effective way forward then if you get to this point.

The fault could also be the ign switch finally - as this does sometimes happen... but the diagnostics will find this if so - That then is the cost effective way forward rather than replacing parts .. that will trace the fault down.

Anyone had similar? anyone think the above would work / sound like legitimate fixes?

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a similar thread running at the moment. In fact it was a guy from here in Leeds also. He'd had his clutch changed and then after that it wouldn't crank and also no no fault codes, it turned out to be a plug on the power steering pump not sat right I belive. Give us a tick and I'll link the thread fir you.

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia using Tapatalk

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are other threads by the guy with more info.

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153017

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia using Tapatalk

Thread Information