Thread: Group Buy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Group Buy?

When people mention a group buy, the mods always say they have to be approved by admin, which is fair, but my question is when was the last (admin-approved) group buy? I remember reading about a BSR remap one, but that was years ago; have there been any since? Or are they only for full members and that's why I can't see any threads on them? If there haven't been any since then, because people give up as soon as they're told to ask admin first, or if it's because admin say no, we're missing out on combined purchasing power.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Toyota

Trim : Yaris Hybrid

Engine : 1.5 Hybrid

Year : 2021

Mileage : 5525

MIJ exhausts was the last one I was involved with .
    I believe admin like the group buy to be made by an approved dealer as a precaution .
    because if things go T*Ts up with the item,then members may blame admin for allowing it to go ahead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

There's some logic in that, but one example of common group buys that I forgot about when I wrote the post above is rolling road days, when it's "if we can get 15 cars it'll be just £35 each", they can go ahead without admin worrying about comeback on them.

What say we come up with a more workable/easier formula for getting these approved and working in practice, rather than every now and then someone says "group buy?" and the thread just gets locked? Maybe start a list of things people want to buy collectively, before we even discuss who they would be bought from. e.g. tyres, spanner sets, mats, HIDs, etc etc. THEN we get approval, then someone looks for an interested seller.

Carterton, but.....I walk a lonely road the only road i have ever known
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think your onto something there rebellion mate.
    But I also think it should be exclusive to FULL members. Now im in no way questioning your integrity but if it was open to anyone then we could have people popping on to start a group buy thread for their own benefits when there not even contributing towards the club with their membership fee etc.
    Then that would raise the question of why do we pay membership? I do it to support the running of the club and its a little way of saying thanks for all the help and info ive got off here.
    I notice you have been on here since 08 so probably (hopefully) at somepoint have been a FULL member but alot of people would just come on to be part of a group buy which isnt really that fair on paying/regular members of the club

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I see your point Paddy, but the success or failure of any group buy depends mostly on how many buyers you can band together - if you have 3 people wanting to buy 2 tyres each, you'll get a lot less interest (and discount) from a tyre supplier than if you have 30 people wanting 2 tyres each; that's just a hypothetical example BTW.

You would have to watch for sellers coming on here, posing as new members, and starting group buys of their products, but if a genuine new member (and he's not a full member) came on here and joined in a group buy then he's not cheating anyone out of anything - he's helping to increase the buying power and leverage.

Carterton, but.....I walk a lonely road the only road i have ever known
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yea i do understand what youre saying mate but i think this is one of the drama's admin has. As to where do we draw the line on 'possible freeloaders' just looking to use the site for free baragins, and the more dedicated amongst us who are regular users and attendants of the club

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Dynamic

Engine : 1.6 turbo

Year : 2019

Mileage : 44000

Quite simpel... you just have to read on the full member benefits

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85623

Then you would see that it would only be for fullmembers, and yes admin prefere it to be approved traders on here that do the group buys.

and in the end its Admin to deside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Toyota

Trim : Yaris Hybrid

Engine : 1.5 Hybrid

Year : 2021

Mileage : 5525

Quote Originally Posted by Rebellion View Post
    There's some logic in that, but one example of common group buys that I forgot about when I wrote the post above is rolling road days, when it's "if we can get 15 cars it'll be just £35 each", they can go ahead without admin worrying about comeback on them.

What say we come up with a more workable/easier formula for getting these approved and working in practice, rather than every now and then someone says "group buy?" and the thread just gets locked? Maybe start a list of things people want to buy collectively, before we even discuss who they would be bought from. e.g. tyres, spanner sets, mats, HIDs, etc etc. THEN we get approval, then someone looks for an interested seller.
    R/R you have to sign a disclaimer ...so that doesn't really count .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Quite simpel... you just have to read on the full member benefits

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85623

Then you would see that it would only be for fullmembers, and yes admin prefere it to be approved traders on here that do the group buys.

and in the end its Admin to deside.
    It's clear why group buys don't work then - if it's only open to full members, you've limited your buying power. Then add in the fact that approved traders are already offering a discount to individual full members, and you can see they won't want to offer further discounts just because a handful of members are offering to buy together. I think that's called shooting one's self in the foot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Group buys do work.. and then they don't... Sometimes the "seller" is overcome with the amount of people wanting to take up the offer that they stall or don't come through...

The last group buy i was involved with was on vxronline for an enlarged air intake on the Vxr...... It had in excess of 20 people interested for a half price deal ... And they never followed up

The other issues presently are economics ...

Most places are selling at bottom dollar prices and have no movement in the remaining profit margins ... Then there is the issue with people saying yes... And when the time arrives they have no funds despite knowing that they are due to be paying ...this the. Causes friction amongst the members and the organisers..

I've no issues with you formulating a top 10 list of potential deals ... And when we have a list we can post up and see how may or may not be interested in the deal BEFORE we contact the seller to see what deals can be made..dependant on numbers involved

But as Kenp stated ... The deals are for full members as its a perk of the package...

Regards

Dez

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Thread Information