Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Z22YH EGR Mod??

Hi,

Sorry for posting something that i am sure has been done to death, but i cant find enough to answer my questions, so here goes....

I am giving my 2005 2.2 Direct Sri a service and thought i would quickly whip off the throttle body to give it a clean. I was expecting a bit of gunk on there but i was surprised at just how much there was. I have cleaned it all up inc the tube that sits in the manifold but looking down into it there is a ton of gunk in there too which i am not going to attempt to do anything about just now. Might take the manifold off at some point for a clean through with some petrol though.

So the questions now....having a read a bit it appears that fitting an EGR mod will reduce the build up of gunk on the throttle body etc....can anyone tell me how to do this on my YH engine....read something about a bit of coke can??

Car has done 41K miles....definitely running a bit smoother with the throttle body cleaned....picks up better from idle too

Cheers
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 2.2 Direct

Trim : SRI

Engine : YH 2.2 petrol

Year : 2006

Mileage : 106000

Hi I just fitted an inline oil catch tank to collect all the gunk comming from the rocker box and going into the manifold, I have just had the swirl valves replaced because the one stuck shut and snapped off, did not want the manifold gunking up again, my next move would be to blank off the ERG, I did it to my 2.5 vec b but had to use a piece of stainless as a coke can got burnt out too quick as it is thin.
    I would like to get an already made plate for mine as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark1 View Post
    Hi I just fitted an inline oil catch tank to collect all the gunk comming from the rocker box and going into the manifold, I have just had the swirl valves replaced because the one stuck shut and snapped off, did not want the manifold gunking up again, my next move would be to blank off the ERG, I did it to my 2.5 vec b but had to use a piece of stainless as a coke can got burnt out too quick as it is thin.
    I would like to get an already made plate for mine as well.
    What tank did you fit..location etc? Might be best option for me too. want some preventative measure in there to stop it before it causes a problem

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

you can get a blanking plate for the z22yh as the egr has coolant running through it on the directs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Sri

Engine : 2.2 Direct

Year : 2007

Quote Originally Posted by deg View Post
    you can get a blanking plate for the z22yh as the egr has coolant running through it on the directs
    My bold. Can or can't? Your post makes it sound like the EGR can't be blanked on the Z22YH.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

Year : 2007

Wheres rushy when u need him it can be blanked on the z22yh quite easily I think

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

vauxhall blanked mine off with a proper blanking plate, then tech2 to stop the fault codes coming up. The z22yh cannot be simply blanked off with a piece of tin etc as the coolant system runs through it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 2.2 Direct

Trim : SRI

Engine : YH 2.2 petrol

Year : 2006

Mileage : 106000

Quote Originally Posted by paulvectrac View Post
    Wheres rushy when u need him it can be blanked on the z22yh quite easily I think
    Quote Originally Posted by deg View Post
    vauxhall blanked mine off with a proper blanking plate, then tech2 to stop the fault codes coming up. The z22yh cannot be simply blanked off with a piece of tin etc as the coolant system runs through it.
    So who is right?? can it be blanked to stop emmision gasses from recycling and holes or hole provided for coolant??

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 9-3 Wagon

Trim : Turbo Edition

Engine : TID (1.9 16v)

Year : 2010

Mileage : 137000

Quote Originally Posted by paulvectrac View Post
    He's behind you! Sorry its the festive season and all that....

Yes the yh can easily be blanked, with or without Tec2. Vx can totally take it out of the system for you at a price or you can do it yourself for a couple of quid.

Im on the phone at the moment, but when im on the pc I'll post up how you do it, think I still have some pics floating about as well.

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 9-3 Wagon

Trim : Turbo Edition

Engine : TID (1.9 16v)

Year : 2010

Mileage : 137000

Right, you can buy the correct Yh blanking plate from the dealer, its domed in shape to accommodate the YH's cooled EGR system so you cant just make one up yourself.

Now, you cant just unplug the EGR and blank it as you will get emissions warnings on the dash. What you can do however is blank it but still leave it plugged into the loom. The ECU only monitors the movement of the EGR not the gas flow, so if it can still make the plunger work then all is well.

The problem you will now have is where to mount the EGR, on the SE its easy because you can just hang it off the side but on the YH you cant because of the shape of the blanking plate.

Now this is the easy and cheap way to blank the EGR on a YH. There is a pipe that comes off the intake manifold, this pipe bolts to the head. Where it bolts to the head you need to sandwich a home made blanking plate as its this pipe that carries the gases to the manifold.

This is a picture of a SE head but the position is in the same place.

#1 in this pic shows the pipe you blanking.

Hope that helps. Im just off to the Cinema to see Chipwrecked (anyone with kids will know my pain ) so if you have any questions I wont be able to answer straight away.

PS, this wont give you any more power and it may make you MPG slightly worse but only by 1-2 mpg. If you do this I would still leave the Cam breathing as normal, mine is set up like this and the manifold is clean as a whistle, plus you need a little oil mist to lube your flaps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information