0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : GSi

Engine : Z32SE

Year : 53

Mileage : 57,000

Default VXR front brakes...what to buy?

well having gave the GSi some stick this week and compared to friends with a RX-8 and Focus-ST which just drop on the nose, mine certainly arnt keeping up to expectations, particularly when hot but generally just overall stopping power.

im never going to stretch to 4 or 6pots but i think VXR front would be adequate. but i will be wanting to uprade discs and pads also, any kits available are £700+....gulp!

what im wantin to know is (i know its been asked before, but never cleared up) what existing parts from my 314mm setup can i use with the 345mm setup? any saving would be a bonus or i can see myself going and buying some brand new VXR calipers and carriers then upgrading the braking items...

any input would be great.......thanks!.........Jaspa!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The 314mm brakes are excellent when the pads and discs are new, however near the end of their life they are awful
    Equally, what are the rear brakes like?

I certainly notice it when the front pads are down to about 30% worn and the rears are down to about 50% worn (that combination alone can result in the braking distance increasing by about 20%)

Also, don't forget tyres also affect braking distance, front tyres down to 2mm (compared to 8mm tread) will add a further 5% to braking distance

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Consider the kerb weight of all three cars and their overall point of practicality

The rx8 and focus st are very much lighter and therefore easier to stop
    The Gsi is a quick and comfortable car and as such a motorway cruiser .... Once you have sorted the brakes your next going to realise that the next mod will be suspension as its not going to corner like a focus or a rx8 either

Vxr brakes are still a vast improvement on the Gsi ones ...
    Just remember what our comparing your braking profile against and give yourself a fair fight

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

First make sure your GSi has the 314 brakes, as the early ones had 302s. None of the parts are interchangeable between the 314s and 345s, despite looking similar, so you need the pads, disks, calipers and carriers. Here's some for sale on ebay from Neo Brothers, but they also have the hubs attached (probably bought them from the Saab factory and I'd guess when the 9-3 is made they're fitted to the chassis with hub already on them). You could try asking if they'd sell them a bit cheaper if you didn't want the hub, as New Brothers won't have any trouble selling the hubs on seperately.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAAB-9-3-9...item4151f58084

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

think you can get away with new carriers, and discs and some modification from memory when i've read other threads about this...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : GSi

Engine : Z32SE

Year : 53

Mileage : 57,000

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    The 314mm brakes are excellent when the pads and discs are new, however near the end of their life they are awful
    Equally, what are the rear brakes like?

I certainly notice it when the front pads are down to about 30% worn and the rears are down to about 50% worn (that combination alone can result in the braking distance increasing by about 20%)

Also, don't forget tyres also affect braking distance, front tyres down to 2mm (compared to 8mm tread) will add a further 5% to braking distance
    some good points there. i had 4 new tyres and new discs and pads all round when i bought the car in feb. sinse then the brakes are fine, 292 at the back certainly no more than 20% worn, front ok also maybe 1/3rd worn. also sinse i have only done 3700miles in that 10months the majority of them have been a pasting i must say.

tyres is where we make the point i had my mot in november and they were advised at 3 and 4mm on the front....so thats a start i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Deztroyer View Post
    Consider the kerb weight of all three cars and their overall point of practicality

The rx8 and focus st are very much lighter and therefore easier to stop
    The Gsi is a quick and comfortable car and as such a motorway cruiser .... Once you have sorted the brakes your next going to realise that the next mod will be suspension as its not going to corner like a focus or a rx8 either

Vxr brakes are still a vast improvement on the Gsi ones ...
    Just remember what our comparing your braking profile against and give yourself a fair fight
    its funny you say that, i have coilovers going on in a fortnight, not for the reasons of competing above though. i already came to the conclusion im never going to compete with rx-8 agility, but can certainly smoke it in a straight line, the ST is very good in every aspect, but he did pay £4k more than i did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebellion View Post
    First make sure your GSi has the 314 brakes, as the early ones had 302s. None of the parts are interchangeable between the 314s and 345s, despite looking similar, so you need the pads, disks, calipers and carriers. Here's some for sale on ebay from Neo Brothers, but they also have the hubs attached (probably bought them from the Saab factory and I'd guess when the 9-3 is made they're fitted to the chassis with hub already on them). You could try asking if they'd sell them a bit cheaper if you didn't want the hub, as New Brothers won't have any trouble selling the hubs on seperately.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAAB-9-3-9...item4151f58084

Ahh cheers for that link i will look into it. yes they are deffinately 314s, on any other day i thought they were awsome just in the recent present i felt they have been abit under performing.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 DTH

Year : 2008

ive got 345 setup, and there isnt dramatic difference when u go from 314 , bear in mind u not gonna find cheap discs as likes of ECP or GSF simply dont list them , so u looking for about 150 ish for a set of discs plus pads, u can use pagid or mintex unless u fancy fork out 80 odd quid from vx......., so 230ish against 69 for genuine vx stuff is hell of a difference.....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by wazpaz View Post
    think you can get away with new carriers, and discs and some modification from memory when i've read other threads about this...
    I don't think anyone successfully mixed 314 and 345 components in practice, people give up at the chat stage.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Funnilly enough, if you're talking about the Mk2 ST (and not the half fat Mk1 ST) then its brakes are almost identical to the Veccy's 314 or 345s - the calipers look identical and are made by ATE, as are all the Vec's calipers, just that the ST has 320mm disks.

If you decide to talk to Neo Brothers about their 345's, and they agree to remove the hub and sell you the rest for a bit less, let's say £700, you could probably sell your 314's for £150ish, so it'd cost you about £550 to trade up.

Old School Vectra-C.Com. Residing in sunny Leeds.
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : SRi

Engine : Z22SE (2.2 Petrol)

Year : 2004

Mileage : 137000

Quote Originally Posted by Rebellion View Post
    I don't think anyone successfully mixed 314 and 345 components in practice, people give up at the chat stage.
    No its been done. Mark (3.2GSi) did it a few years ago, the two callipers are near identical, and all that was needed to fit was the carriers and a slight modification to the pad.

The problem was the carriers and there price on there own. If someone could get a shed load made up, they could earn a very pretty penny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information