StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Scuttle panel/thermal fuse

Hi

Just thought i would add a bit to the scuttle panel cleaning and thermal fuse both of which are common problems, if cleaning out scuttle panel is neglected.
    As mine was. Brought the car 2 weeks ago with heater not working so took a chance. Full main dealer service.
    Had a look on here for problem and great advice on cleaning scuttle and thermal fuse replacement in How 2's. Descided to change the thermal fuse only and not the whole resistorpack.
    1st day of rain while waiting for part to arrive and car flooded as mentioned in forum, yes i should of cleaned out the scuttle first, stupid mistake :-( water in front and back, drain blocked removed it and washed it before replacing.

The thermal fuse is a 240deg C and the old one needs to be cut off, i used a dremmel, Tin the legs on the resistor pack and tin the legs on the thermal fuse. You will need to create a heat sink to stop the fuse getting above 240deg when tinning and soldering so i wrapped mine in tissue soaked in water and held an ice cube on it to make sure,(best get another pair of hands for this) then solder in place.Cut off surplus fuse ends.
    You can test with a multimeter should read 0 ohms across both pins.
    The resistor pack is removed by sliding sideways and then it pulls out.
    Check before refitting all. The resistor pack gets hot when working so hold on white plastic and not left on carpet.

Part from Maplins £0.82 part no: RA23A
    Mine from ebay as Maplins were out of stock

ebay Cost £1.39
    [ame]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300573498357&ssPageNam e=ADME:L:OC:GB:1123[/ame]

Thermal fuses are not directional.

Des

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well done for soldering it - I've managed it too, but to be honest with solder melting at around 190-200C, it's just too close for comfort.

Most people take the brass screw terminals out of an electrical connector block and use that. Means it's easy to replace the thermal fuse again if needed

I've replaced the thermal fuse three times on mine, until I realised that on position 1 not enough air flowed to cool the resistor pack adequately on mine because the fan was catching on the motor housing, making it slower than it should be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default thermal fuse

Hi rich r

Ya seen the threads on terminal blocks, but as i used to work on electronics i like to solder and only used the ice as an extra precaution.
    The motor spins fine with no squeeks etc so i'm hoping that with regular checking i wont have to do it again. But will keep checking scuttle is clean.

Word of WARNING to all reading this post, which has been said many times before-------
    If you havent checked the drain yet do it TODAY 2 min job to check and could save you time and trouble. Dont do what i did and put it off.

Des

Thread Information