User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Reverse gear - weak spring on gear stick

Dal5band

Default Reverse gear - weak spring on gear stick

I seem to have a weak spring which pushes down the reverse selection ring. It dosn't have nice springy action, is it possible to replace this spring ? Pehaps someone could describe where this spring is ?
    I have read the horror stories about removing the gear knob with a hacksaw - don't fancy that !!

(Vectra Exclusive 2007 1.8 VVT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just pull the knob really hard buddy it will come off but watch for the spring as some times it can go flying... Maybe then just re stretch it a bit? It may work if not im sure some one else will have an idea..

Dal5band

I'm beginning to think some B*** has already re-stuck this gear knob in the past and left the spring out ! I'll try a few things .......

4. Thanks Kapa thanked for this post
    Dal5band

Temporary fix for reverse lift ring spring: elastic band pulling down under the gaiter - works fine. I kept the tension quite low so there is no interference with the gear change.

Last edited by Dal5band; 20th December 2011 at 13:20. Reason: Image load failed

Dal5band

error please delete
    Last edited by Dal5band; 20th December 2011 at 13:21. Reason: error - please delete

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra SRi NAV XP2

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Year : 2007

Mileage : Plenty

You will struggle to get just a VX Spring as they would not sell me it as a part and most breakers want to sell you the whole gear stick and linkage as well.

When I got my car the spring was missing as the gear knob in infamous for coming off but as you say yours may have been stuck back on. If you go to a scrappy that you can take parts off yourself you should be able to get on off any Vectra C as they are all the same.

I did that and mine is fine now, you could try using an open ended spanner under the knob and hitting the spanner with a hammer to ‘help’ it come off?

Hope that helps a little?

Thread Information