0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Porta cable polishers

I have been thinking of getting a Porta cable type of polisher, I see clean and shiney are selling metabo machine polishers, I was wondering how much easier it make removing swurl mark from the paintwork, how often would you need to use the polisher, would it be posible to put canuba wax on with it [PS21S or Colinite 476s] or would it just make it easier to get a shine, rather than buffing it by hand, Those who have a machine polisher, what do you think of them and how often do you use them, is the polishing and waxing much easier with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't have a PC, i use a full size 9" machine mop... you'll never look back Ed.. large panels become a dream..different heads mean different results to hand polishing..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the Porter Cable polisher and it is a great bit of kit. It is a dual action type so the head moves around in an orbital fashion similar to what you do by hand. The Metabo/Makita etc rotary polishers just spin similar to an angle grinder. In experienced hands the rotary is capable of removing more swirls/scratches and is seen as the next step from a PC. However it is also a lot easier to damage the paintwork for a novice. I would definately get a PC as it does much of what a rotary can do but is ultra safe too. For more info Bryan (blr123) on here and on detailingworld has more experience of both.
    Once I have my garage built and have a nice place to detail I intend to get a rotary to add to my armoury but will be practicing on a few scrap panels with it before I tackle a car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Ed,

As Richard said really, the PC you can basically open the box and go.......there are some tips & tricks but nothing you wouldn't find out fairly quickly, if you do get a PC then definately get a set of 4" spot pads and a backing plate, these are a must for cutting in bumpers and the like.

As for a Rotary, these can damage paintwork i.e. cut through the clearcoat, as has just happened to a lad on DW, these are direct drive and will continue to spin no matter how much pressure you put on them whereas the PC will just stop.

As a basic starter pack I'd go for the PC complete with 2 sets of 6" pads and backing plate and a set of 4" spot pads complete with backing plate, I like the Megs pads myself, although they don't do the 4" spot pads

As for products Megs #80 (fine cut) and Megs #83 (courser cut), you might like to get some Megs Last Touch aswell it sometimes helps to give the pads a quick spritz from time to time..........some people use water but I like the Last Touch and I also use it to aid drying and as a clay lube (cut 1-1).

I would also recommend fitting a 10 meter cable to both it makes a big dif when in use saves trailing around extensions eh

You will also need some Microfibre cloths (6 would be OK but 10 would be even better ).

Bryan

Thread Information