Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Default Electrical Meter Change

I've had a letter from Eon saying that our meter has reached the end of it's useful life and needs replacing.

It was fitted in 1997, so is only 14 years old, but has a useful life of 15 years.

The question is. As the meter comes near to it's end of life, does it over read (and therefore cost me more than the actual electricity we have used) or does it under read?

As the electicity company is keen to change it, I am more inclined to think it is because it will under read. I doubt it is a safety reason why it is being changed, as I can't see how a meter inside a box, inside a garage (ie no natural light for UV effects) would deteriorate to such an extent that it becomes unsafe.

The meter is a mechanical wheel with 2 counter style dials. There is "Landis and Gyr" in the top left corner and at the bottom is L85FB.

Anyone know for sure what the reason is.

Long shot, but TIA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Probably so theu can remotely read it from the street, rather than knock and hope your in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have had similar letters from Scottish Powers to all my properties over the years
    As yet not one has been replaced, unless I requested it
    Equally, I photocopy the letter and send it back with a comment "No action required, do not attend these premises"
    I simply advise the tennant not to authorise the change, to contact me if someone does arrive to perform the change, and there has been no further action in over 5 years

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hang on fella, is this a subject you don't know about

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : BMW 525i

Trim : M-Sport

Engine : 2.5l Straight 6

Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    I have had similar letters from Scottish Powers to all my properties over the years
    Equally, I photocopy the letter and send it back with a comment "No action required, do not attend these premises"
    I simply advise the tennant not to authorise the change, to contact me if someone does arrive to perform the change, and there has been no further action in over 5 years
    Is there a reason your so against changing your meter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

Year : 2007

Probably a set of 100 amp connectors in it missing the meter lol am only messin mate the amount of houses I go to and see meters being bypassed is unreall I case you don't no am a spark lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi Q7

Trim : S-Line Plus 245

Engine : 3.0 TDV6

Year : 2013

Mileage : 3023

TBH, I doubt they'd take much notice of your Do not attend remark, If they want or need to change your meter they will do so, and they can gain access by force if required (most suppliers choose not too though as its bad publicity) and its all legal and above board, in fact everyone agrees to allowing access to the meter in the terms and conditions of supplying you with electricity, so they have the law on their side, I used to do a bit of work for siemens, and several times i've attended properties with a locksmith and either one or two policemen / women so that I could change the property, that they allow you to use, ie the meter..

and if you have an outside box (as most new builds from the late 80's onwards have) then you might only know you've had a meter swap if you see the card the Meter Tech put through your door that has your old and new readings on.

@STE (long time no see!!)
    Have a look in the Meters (Certification) Regulations 1998, SI 1566 (as amended) http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1.../contents/made
    &
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...chedule/4/made

Certification (Verification)
    All domestic meters used for billing purposes by a licensed electricity supplier, must be
    certified to show that when tested following manufacture/refurbishment they conformed
    to the original pattern approval and operated within the prescribed levels of accuracy.
    They may be used for a specified period of time after which they must be removed from
    circuit..
    This process is described in detail in The Meters (Certification) Regulations 1998, SI
    1566.(as amended) This prescribes that all meters following approval be allocated a
    certification life (i.e. the time a meter is allowed to remain on circuit from initial
    certification. Meters for industrial and commercial customers are either certified or the
    supplier reaches agreement with the customer for a meter with a similar level of
    accuracy to be fitted.
    Ofgem allocated certification life is restricted to 10 years for newly approved induction
    meters and for periods of between 10 and 20 years for static meters. Certification
    periods greater than 10 years (for electronic meters) are subject to the submission and
    validation of a component reliability model based on the Siemens Norm SN29500.
    Subsequent in-service surveillance monitoring can result in either increase or decrease
    of this period. Up to date information regarding the status of any particular meter type
    can be gained by viewing the latest release of Schedule 4 to the Meter (Certification)
    Regulations which are listed on the Ofgem website.
    Prior to submission for certification meters will have a uniquely marked seal attached. In
    the UK, meters can only be certified by an Ofgem approved meter examiner.
    The meter need not be certified where the supplier does not hold a supply license. This
    provides for situations where the supplier might be landlord selling on electricity to their
    tenants or a caravan park owner billing individual berth occupiers. However, the meter
    owner is obliged to use an approved meter and keep the meter in good working order.

Sealing
    All certified meters are sealed. A seal is used to provide security for the measuring
    elements of a meter from tamper, identify the manufacturer/repairer of the meter, the year of certification and the meter is certified. The seal can take the form of
    a crimped security seal on traditional meters or an indelible inscription on the meter
    case for sealed for life static meters.

This prescribes that all meters, following approval, be allocated a certification life (i.e. the time a meter is allowed to remain on circuit from initial certification). Meters for industrial and commercial customers are either certified or the supplier reaches agreement with the customer for a meter with a similar level of accuracy to be fitted. Certification life is allocated by NWML/Ofgem and is restricted to 10 years for newly approved induction meters and for periods of between 10 and 20 years for static meters. Certification periods greater than 10 years (for electronic meters) are subject to the submission and validation of a component reliability model based on the Siemens Norm SN29500. Subsequent in-service surveillance monitoring can result in either increase or decrease of this period

Why is my meter being changed?
    All gas and electricity meters have a certified life, after which they must be exchanged for a new one. It is important that your meter is replaced to ensure its continued accuracy and safety.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Don't forget that the Smart Meter roll out programme has started in the UK, E.On have committed to installing 1 million meters by the end of 2012 and British gas a further 1.5 million. Mass roll out for all is to commence in 2014 and so I guess most of us will be having new meters before to long.

http://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cm...dry_smart.aspx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by jlock View Post
    Is there a reason your so against changing your meter?
    Properties are inspected annually with electrics signed off
    The contractor has only advised of one meter that required replacing, no faults found
    Similar to other things, if it is working, then why replace it?

My own meter has a certificate from 2006, so will next be due in 2016
    Most of the others are newer than that, although I know one is due in 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi Q7

Trim : S-Line Plus 245

Engine : 3.0 TDV6

Year : 2013

Mileage : 3023

Properties are inspected annually with electrics signed off
    The contractor has only advised of one meter that required replacing, no faults found
    Similar to other things, if it is working, then why replace it?
    You do know thats nothing to do with your electric supply or meter?

What type of properties are they, as there's not many that need to be tested yearly, Pubs are one example, but only if they are required to do so by the local council for their PEL (Public Entertainment Licence).

17th Edition IEE Regulations ... Periodic inspection intervals
    Domestic - Change of occupancy or 10 years.
    Hospitals - 5 years
    Industrial - 3 years
    Offices - 5 years
    Shops - 5 years
    Churches - 5 years
    Theatres - 3 years
    Public houses - 5 years
    Construction sites - 3 months

Service heads / cutouts / mains fuses / mains tails & meters are not part of an electrical inspection as they are owned by your electricity supplier, if they were your own meters (ie you pay the bill and have had your own meters installed by an electrician and you charge tenants for electric) Then they would be part of the inspection, but again only upto the load side of the main meter, You own the electrical installation from the load (right) side of the meter onwards, Your supplier owns everything else..

Your sparky's on to a good thing if he's getting you to fork out for an inspection every year..
    Last edited by Big-Pete; 3rd December 2011 at 11:02.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information