User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Had enough but what do I do now?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : SXi

Engine : 2.2

Default Had enough but what do I do now?

We have been trying to buy a house. The vendor owns all the properties/land
    The first house we got out offered
    The 2nd we got offered before it went on the open market and we agreed in principle to buy it and then he hiked the price up by £25k for a kitchen he fitted 3 years ago
    The 3rd property got offered to us as we refused the 2nd one and again before it went on the open market. We agreed on a price and got our mortgage in principle, appointed a surveyor to which the vendor got a bit twitchy. He said it was because there are tenants in the property and he did not want to upset them. We said fine but would not make a formal offer to him unless the survey was done. He agreed. So the surveyor was going to do it this week.
    The vendor goes round to issue the tenants with their two month notice as of Dec 1st. I think great we can get in there 1st Feb and start ripping the place apart. I then find out the woman started crying and he gave them 12 months notice
    What the **** do I do? I've got to pay out for the mortgage (Arangement fee and the finders fee)as they got us the mortgage, the surveyor ain't happy as he has scheduled his week around our urgent appointment as the vendor said it had to be done this week.
    So looks like I'm going to be out of pocket with no house as the vendor feels guilty as the tenant got upset.
    Where do I stand?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Unfortunatley nowhere, as you haven't exchanged contracts. I would start looking at other properties; this guy sounds like a joke.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Tourer

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTI (160ps)

Year : 2010

Yup English law is crap when it comes to buying houses, there's nothing you can do about it at all. No contract has been entered into, the property is his to do what he wants with and until such time as you've exchanged there's nothing you can do. Sorry.

As Chris says above, get hunting for another place quick.
    "Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Maptun Tuned 2.0T Estate - click HERE for mods list.
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

Now Gone, bring on the Insignia (now "Teapot" Tuned)...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah thats what I thought. We should employ the same rule as other countries where both parties put an amount forward so if this happens the other party can claim for their losses from the other party.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry for the blunt reply, but stuck in a similiar knightmare at the moment! In the middle of a chain, where our buyer has just lost their buyer and we don't want to loose the house we've agreed on and already done the surveys on! House buying sucks

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah, we had the same in NZ, backwards and forwards on one house cos the ex husband was being a **** and we were caught in the middle of it, took 4 months before we were forced to pull out by the bank because of an unfinished rumpus and bathroom in the basement, which I was going to complete. So I had paid a surveyor, 2 builders for estimates (though planned on doing work myself) and legal fees, $2000 down the drain.
    Tried another house and the surveyor reckoned house only worth $2500 more than our offer, and $7000 less than asking. Bank said would not lend because once chattels and white goods removed is less than our offer.
    Gave up in the end, hence why we moved back here, I had made a promise the Mrs that if we did not find a house that year we would move back, fully expecting we would, so my plan backfired somewhat.
    Anyway, point being, it happens, buying a house is a risky business and it can be easy to get stung, and it is a shame you can't bill the other side for messing you around. In 2003 we sold our house in Hillingdon, but the guy initially pulled out 2 weeks before Christmas 2002, then came back again late January 2003, as this was money intended for NZ the change in exchange rates cost us $30,000.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah, we had the same in NZ, backwards and forwards on one house cos the ex husband was being a **** and we were caught in the middle of it, took 4 months before we were forced to pull out by the bank because of an unfinished rumpus and bathroom in the basement, which I was going to complete. So I had paid a surveyor, 2 builders for estimates (though planned on doing work myself) and legal fees, $2000 down the drain.
    Tried another house and the surveyor reckoned house only worth $2500 more than our offer, and $7000 less than asking. Bank said would not lend because once chattels and white goods removed is less than our offer.
    Gave up in the end, hence why we moved back here, I had made a promise the Mrs that if we did not find a house that year we would move back, fully expecting we would, so my plan backfired somewhat.
    Anyway, point being, it happens, buying a house is a risky business and it can be easy to get stung, and it is a shame you can't bill the other side for messing you around. In 2003 we sold our house in Hillingdon, but the guy initially pulled out 2 weeks before Christmas 2002, then came back again late January 2003, as this was money intended for NZ the change in exchange rates cost us $30,000.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The second scenario happened to us with our first house. Having agreed a price and had the survey done they suddenly wanted 2K more. I walked away figuring that if they did it once they would do it again.

If it's any consolation we (and friends of ours where this has happened) ended up buying a much better house and critically in a way better location. I think it makes you more determined.

We got our wasted survey money back and a whole lot more when it came to selling the property several years later. To give you an idea it was on the market for one hour. The sellers of the first house did us a massive favour as it turned out.

Your new home is out there somewhere. You've just not found it yet!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

This same guy owns all 3 houses you wanted to buy? No one else has a house for sale near you?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Rebellion View Post
    This same guy owns all 3 houses you wanted to buy? No one else has a house for sale near you?
    Of course there is but the style of house and the land with it is what we want hence going after the same type of house 3 times!

Luckily we did not need to sell our house as I was going to rent it out but I'm guessing its back too the drawing board. Personally I just can't be bothered with it all but the missus had set her heart on it and moving

Thread Information