Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI XP1

Default HID MOT regulations

I got this link from vvoc, thanks to the OP for it. Mods might be worthwhile making it a sticky since there seems to be several posts each day on the subject. This is from VOSA and people can make up their own mind on the subject
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...n%20Manual.pdf

North West Regional Organiser paulvectrac's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

Year : 2007

Of I see another hid thread there gonna be illegal and all this think am gonna have a brake down lol
    Vectra vxr custome remaps egr deletes dpf and diagnostic work all remaps are custome bench tuning avalible all genuine equipment PM for info

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI XP1

Quote Originally Posted by paulvectrac View Post
    Of I see another hid thread there gonna be illegal and all this think am gonna have a brake down lol
    I agree, hence why I though this would be a good idea. Maybe admin could even put a ban on new HID threads! lol
    I dread to think how many there are by now

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : BMW 525i

Trim : SE Touring

Engine : 3.0

Well purely going by section 1.7 :
    dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system

Where such systems are fitted, they must work;

nothing there saying such devices MUST be fitted.

.. then moving into the inspection techniqure:

Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

and into failure reasons:

A headlamp levelling or cleaning device inoperative or otherwise obviously defective

NOTHING giving reason for failure due to headlamp washing or self-levelling devices not actually fitted.

So from that I'd summise that as long as the colour, position, beam pattern and alignment, etc regulations are met, then a correctly fitted aftermarket HID kit will not cause an MoT test failure.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Handyandy-UK View Post

So from that I'd summise that as long as the colour, position, beam pattern and alignment, etc regulations are met, then a correctly fitted aftermarket HID kit will not cause an MoT test failure.
    My Carlton has passed the last 6 MOT's with them fitted, and that is with reflective headlamp units.

North West Regional Organiser paulvectrac's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

Has anyone though of usein some other jets for the head light ie of another car and connect in to the washer system
    Vectra vxr custome remaps egr deletes dpf and diagnostic work all remaps are custome bench tuning avalible all genuine equipment PM for info

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : BMW 525i

Trim : SE Touring

Engine : 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by paulvectrac View Post
    Has anyone though of usein some other jets for the head light ie of another car and connect in to the washer system
    Those of use who swapped to Insignia screen washer jets could always mount the old V jets in the bumper and hook them in tot he screen washers !!

But then harping back to those regs as written - it does not say washers MUST be fitted.... only that IF they are fitted they must work.

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Year : 06

I changed mine and left them on the top next to windcreen going down motorway n oh there's a old washers doh lol

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Handyandy-UK View Post
    dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system
    Where such systems are fitted, they must work;

nothing there saying such devices MUST be fitted.

.. then moving into the inspection techniqure:

Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

and into failure reasons:

A headlamp levelling or cleaning device inoperative or otherwise obviously defective

NOTHING giving reason for failure due to headlamp washing or self-levelling devices not actually fitted.

W R O N G.

See below.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...3-lighting.pdf

The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective, the vehicle will fail.

This raises the question of whether these checks apply to vehicles fitted with after-market HID lighting kits. These kits convert conventional halogen headlamps to HID Xenon and they are widely sold and fitted to vehicles used on the road. The Department for Transport considers that after-market systems should be required to meet the same safety standards as that applied in respect of these lamps at vehicle Type Approval. Therefore, in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems.

Its pretty simple - if the car has the devices fitted (HIDS/Cleaner/Leveller system), they must work. If aftermarket HIDS are installed, then as per the link I posted, they too need the additional features like levelling/cleaner.

Dont forget - the link you posted was for *inspection* and the link I have supplied here is clearly marked as *testing directive* so naturally the testing directive (which determines the pass/fail elements of the MOT) is what will be followed. Whether MOT testers adhere to or circumvent these guidelines is up for debate.

As with all MOT tests and testers, there will be good and honest ones and also bad and unscrupulous ones.

There is also this link which shows that aftermarket HIDS have been illegal for a while now too:

http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafet...headlamps.html

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.
    What cannot speak cannot lie. Hopefully this should clear up confusion about HIDS etc. Thankfully mine are OEM so I dont have to worry

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Mk1 renault scenic... I know I know but it drives

Trim : Basic

Engine : 1.6 16v

Year : 2003

Quote Originally Posted by VSRI View Post

W R O N G.

See below.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...3-lighting.pdf

Its pretty simple - if the car has the devices fitted (HIDS/Cleaner/Leveller system), they must work. If aftermarket HIDS are installed, then as per the link I posted, they too need the additional features like levelling/cleaner.

Dont forget - the link you posted was for *inspection* and the link I have supplied here is clearly marked as *testing directive* so naturally the testing directive (which determines the pass/fail elements of the MOT) is what will be followed. Whether MOT testers adhere to or circumvent these guidelines is up for debate.

As with all MOT tests and testers, there will be good and honest ones and also bad and unscrupulous ones.

There is also this link which shows that aftermarket HIDS have been illegal for a while now too:

http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafet...headlamps.html

What cannot speak cannot lie. Hopefully this should clear up confusion about HIDS etc. Thankfully mine are OEM so I dont have to worry
    That info has been out for donkeys years. And I've passed mot for past 3 years with hids.
    And no countless other people who have to

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information