Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default A few questions

Just a random assortment of questions that i kept meaning to post up.

Motor: VX Vectra C 2007 1.9 CDTI (100k miles)

First off its my first diesel and ive only had one other motor. So sme of these questions may just be silly or me over worrying since the disaster i had with my previous fiesta.

When starting the car it seems to take a lot longer than my petrol car. Is this just because its a diesel ? I usually warm the glow plugs 2 or 3 times at the start of the day just so it kicks in and turns over (whatever the terminoloy is) immediately. If i just warm them once it can take around a second or two to start. However the rest of the day its usually fine and the glow plug light is on and off in seconds. I guess this is all fine and dandy but its been on mind so i figured someone could just confirm that and i'll stop worrying about stupid things.

Secondly its the rumbling/vibrations. I mainly notice it in the morning when its at its worse (it's not THAT bad, just more than id expect considering its age). Its difficult to explain but it feels a little like sitting on an old bus for those of you who have been unlucky enough to grace public transport. Looking around online my best guess is it may need the fuel filter replacing, but i thought id ask for advice or confirmation.

Thirdly its "ticking". I heard it in my old fiesta and i hear it on most cars that arent brand spanking new. The best i can explain it, is it pretty much sounds like you expect from something descibed as going "tck tck tck tck tck". I believe it speeds up with rev's so im guessing its the infamous AUX belt possibly stretched ? Any other idea's on what it could be, or how to find exactly whats causing it ?

Another one is transmission oil. I was planning on changing the engine oil, and figured id give the transmission oil a crack. Im guessing if it hasnt been changed in 100k miles it could do with being done? How easy is that to do. I hear its a pain in the rear to change transmission oil if you cant get the car up high, or yourself down low in a pit ? Would i be best just getting the garage to change that with my cam belt when i take it in ?

On the topic of CAM belts. How much should i be looking at to pay for that? Would it be cheaper if i bought the belt direct from VX myself (if and when i get my club card) ? im guessing a garage wouldn't charge be trade club prices for the parts they use ?

Ok i'll stop there before the post gets HUGE with idiotic questions. No doubt i'll be back with more for you lovely people

Thanks for any help

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 2.0l CDTi Bi-Turbo Insginia Sports Tourer

Trim : Vx Line Nav Sri

Engine : 2.0

Year : 2014

HI,

I can probably have a go at some of your questions, so hope it helps. Mine is a 57 plate on 155k miles now:

Quote Originally Posted by djlee View Post

First off its my first diesel and ive only had one other motor. So sme of these questions may just be silly or me over worrying since the disaster i had with my previous fiesta.

When starting the car it seems to take a lot longer than my petrol car. Is this just because its a diesel ? I usually warm the glow plugs 2 or 3 times at the start of the day just so it kicks in and turns over (whatever the terminoloy is) immediately. If i just warm them once it can take around a second or two to start. However the rest of the day its usually fine and the glow plug light is on and off in seconds. I guess this is all fine and dandy but its been on mind so i figured someone could just confirm that and i'll stop worrying about stupid things. Just wait until the glow light goes off before actually starting the car, it should be ok.

Secondly its the rumbling/vibrations. I mainly notice it in the morning when its at its worse (it's not THAT bad, just more than id expect considering its age). Its difficult to explain but it feels a little like sitting on an old bus for those of you who have been unlucky enough to grace public transport. Looking around online my best guess is it may need the fuel filter replacing, but i thought id ask for advice or confirmation. Not sure, but most do that when cold, until at least it gets warm. try checking your oil level.

Thirdly its "ticking". I heard it in my old fiesta and i hear it on most cars that arent brand spanking new. The best i can explain it, is it pretty much sounds like you expect from something descibed as going "tck tck tck tck tck". I believe it speeds up with rev's so im guessing its the infamous AUX belt possibly stretched ? Any other idea's on what it could be, or how to find exactly whats causing it ? Mine did this - Prob water pump, so replace the pump, belt and tensioners at the same time if it is this.

Another one is transmission oil. I was planning on changing the engine oil, and figured id give the transmission oil a crack. Im guessing if it hasnt been changed in 100k miles it could do with being done? How easy is that to do. I hear its a pain in the rear to change transmission oil if you cant get the car up high, or yourself down low in a pit ? Would i be best just getting the garage to change that with my cam belt when i take it in ? Gear box oil is easy to change, there is a howto on here for that.

On the topic of CAM belts. How much should i be looking at to pay for that? Would it be cheaper if i bought the belt direct from VX myself (if and when i get my club card) ? im guessing a garage wouldn't charge be trade club prices for the parts they use ? 80k max for CAM belt change (and water pump and tensioners)

Ok i'll stop there before the post gets HUGE with idiotic questions. No doubt i'll be back with more for you lovely people

Thanks for any help

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Welcome mate ill try and help to but this is worst case scenario answers.
    Quote Originally Posted by djlee View Post

When starting the car it seems to take a lot longer than my petrol car. Is this just because its a diesel ? I usually warm the glow plugs 2 or 3 times at the start of the day just so it kicks in and turns over (whatever the terminoloy is) immediately. If i just warm them once it can take around a second or two to start. However the rest of the day its usually fine and the glow plug light is on and off in seconds. I guess this is all fine and dandy but its been on mind so i figured someone could just confirm that and i'll stop worrying about stupid things. Glow plugs may need replacing.

Secondly its the rumbling/vibrations. I mainly notice it in the morning when its at its worse (it's not THAT bad, just more than id expect considering its age). Its difficult to explain but it feels a little like sitting on an old bus for those of you who have been unlucky enough to grace public transport. Looking around online my best guess is it may need the fuel filter replacing, but i thought id ask for advice or confirmation. Are you getting vibration through the clutch pedal and does the car idle rough almost like a rattle? This could be the flywheel (DMF) and may also be causing problems making the car difficult to turn over (start).

Thirdly its "ticking". I heard it in my old fiesta and i hear it on most cars that arent brand spanking new. The best i can explain it, is it pretty much sounds like you expect from something descibed as going "tck tck tck tck tck". I believe it speeds up with rev's so im guessing its the infamous AUX belt possibly stretched ? Any other idea's on what it could be, or how to find exactly whats causing it ? Could be a number of things i personally would need to hear it.

Another one is transmission oil. I was planning on changing the engine oil, and figured id give the transmission oil a crack. Im guessing if it hasnt been changed in 100k miles it could do with being done? How easy is that to do. I hear its a pain in the rear to change transmission oil if you cant get the car up high, or yourself down low in a pit ? Would i be best just getting the garage to change that with my cam belt when i take it in ?

On the topic of CAM belts. How much should i be looking at to pay for that? Would it be cheaper if i bought the belt direct from VX myself (if and when i get my club card) ? im guessing a garage wouldn't charge be trade club prices for the parts they use ? I would buy all the required parts myself and take them to a garage when then only charge labour to fit them, saves a fortune as they will want to make a profit on the parts otherwise.

Thanks for any help

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

cheers for the replies. Just noticed i may have posted this in the wrong section (should have read the forum note rally) so if it can be moved by a mod to save me being poked

Im waiting for my club card to come through then i plan on doing everything i can do myself safely. Air filter, pollen filter, fuel filter, glow pugs, engine oil... Pretty much the whole she bang.

I had a feeling someone was going to mention the DMF. I'll have to google around for signs of it going and check it against those. I'll also try and feel for any vibration on the clutch (cant say ive noticed). Since i dont have experience of an array of cars and i dont have a car with ******ed DMF (i hope!) to compare against, i cant say for sure, however i'd describe it as more of a grunting, bassey rumble as opposed to a rattle.

One thing i failed to mention (which is actually really important as its what brought my brother to the conclusion of a clogged fuel filter), is the rumble/vibration disappears with just a touch of gas. I dont know the exact idle rev's, but i'd say its around 800->850. Bring the revs up to 1000 (or even just below, anything above idle) and the rumble goes away. It could maybe be the engine idle speed is too low ? Whats everyone else idling at ?

Thread Information