StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2.0 Turbo Cold Start Vibrations / Misfire

Hi guys,

I am looking for some advice for my 2.0 Turbo (2008) that has developed a rattle / vibration and slight misfire when starting from cold - when it warms up after a few minutes and on subsequent restarts there are no issues (only seems to have developed as the temperatures outside have dropped). Also the car drives well still, had a blast down the Autobahn to Hamburg last week and still accelerates well and tops out around 145 mph.

I am not sure if this is relevant but it had car underbody rust treatment done by Dinitrol 1 year ago and a few days after I noticed that the Exhaust Sensor Warning light came on but when I restarted the car it went off again. Now periodically every few weeks or months it comes on again - not flashing just constant but goes out the next time I start the car.

The car gets used mostly on motorway I drive about 500 miles a week from one end of Denmark to the other and it is serviced every 6 months and just a few week ago pasts it its MOT for the next 2 years.

The wife is beginning to moan at me about selling it and getting a Fiesta Diesel that does 27 km/l due to the distance I drive, the money I may have to spend fixing it and that I just got a speeding ticket from a Mobile Photo Van for driving 76 mph in a 50 mph (in my defense the road was clear, a long straight and I accelerated to pass several lorries - just near the end of the straight was the van - which was hidden behind a lorry and from the picture I am clearly overtaking as I was moving back in) but what can I say ... "I have a heavy right foot" too and am impatient

Therefore before I lose my modded, beloved Vectra I need some more advice (Caveman_Nige pointers have helped) - Anyway onto what I have done so far:

• I cleaned the MAF with some brake cleaner and visually it looked ok
    • I cleaned out the air box (modded already) and changed the air filter
    • I cleaned the sensor on the pipe leading to the throttle body
    • I cleaned the throttle body in situ but it really was pretty clean already
    • I fired some carb cleaner through the air intake which the engine was running
    • Yesterday I changed the spark plugs again as I had already done it 6 months ago after a service. The spark plugs themselves were black as hell - so it looks like it is running rich - as I can't believe they can build up that much coking in 6 months?
    • I swapped coil pack 1 & 4 with 2 & 3 to see if it made any difference - It didn't

I have a CTS Coolant Temp Sensor from a SAAB on the way and will fit that anyway (only cost a tenner).

I have run diagnostic and the only error was P1312-00 misfire on cyl 1 or 2 but once cleared the error code has not returned after a week of cold starts.

I am thinking now of that if it is running rich then maybe the sensors got fouled when the under body treatment was done and I need to replace some sensors (how many on 2.0 Turbo) or as Caveman_Nige pointed out it may be the coil pack.

The cheapest way to replace the parts would be helpful as I don't want to end up with a Fiesta 95 BHP diesel - Any advice and relevant part numbers appreciated!

TIA

Alistair

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone ... come on guys ... I don't want to end up with a 1.4 Fiesta Diesel !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which spark plugs did you fit when you changed them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the cylinder misfire is the underlying cause on the judder..

The insulator foot section and electrode section are covered with dried, soft black carbon.
    [Results]
    Poor starting, misfiring, acceleration defect.
    [Cause]
    Repeated short-distance driving (driving with the engine cool), incorrect choking (overly rich air-fuel mixture), injection timing delay, plug heat range too high.

i would recommend the plugs be changed to see if the result is different BUT the underlying cause if not diagnosed above needs identifying .... it could also be down to prolonged driving at higher speeds on the autobahns ... so maybe fit a hotter plug
    Last edited by Deztroyer; 22nd November 2011 at 13:53.

0-Large smile ......every time it's driven

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fitted the standard set of NGK PFR6T-10G plugs at the weekend and didn't make any difference.

I did notice a Petrol smell when I started up yesterday like it is running too rich so maybe changing the lambda sensors is what I should do next?

Can you use any universal vauxhall 4 wire lambda sensor? Anyone got the part numbers for a 2.0 Turbo?

TIA again
    Last edited by awilson; 22nd November 2011 at 15:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I gave up trying to diagnose this and took it to Opel - As they saw no error codes on Tech2 and then they said there was nothing wrong with it ... but as I told them I can feel it on a cold start and was adamant ...

Left it there overnight Sunday and they started it up Monday morning and they felt the cold start juddering ... their opinion is that it is exhaust valve that is damaged and it will need a £1700 top end overhaul so it looks like the Vectra is on the way out

Any way of testing this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How have they gone from a misfire on a couple of cylinders to an overhaul? Dodgy!

I had the same problem on my Hyundai accent after new plugs and leads... ended up being a lead arcing out on the coil pack on cylinder 3... only did it when cold and not every day (moisture in the air). If its 2 cylinders I would be thinking leads/coil pack?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double post bug.
    Last edited by Caveman_nige; 13th December 2011 at 11:44.
    My old Signum, the animal; she now rests in pieces in several other members cars.. https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/garag...vehicle&id=200
    The wifes vec show car, started as a standard daily driver and ended up like this. https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/garag...vehicle&id=709

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked vauxhall about it when I had mine doing this. and they did not have a clue either. I changed one coil and it cleared up. Montshs later I had a similar thing so I changed another coil and it went away again. I now keep a spare coil feady for when the next one goes. These things wear out mate. I believe our friends with 2.8 engines have coils changes stipulated at certain milage service intervals, about every 60k I think.

The parts guy at vx was interested to hear my results as his son's car was doing similar things and he then did a coil change as well and solved his.

The first coil I bouvht from vx brand new the others I bought used from Neo Brothers.
    My old Signum, the animal; she now rests in pieces in several other members cars.. https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/garag...vehicle&id=200
    The wifes vec show car, started as a standard daily driver and ended up like this. https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/garag...vehicle&id=709

Thread Information