I am looking for some advice for my 2.0 Turbo (2008) that has developed a rattle / vibration and slight misfire when starting from cold - when it warms up after a few minutes and on subsequent restarts there are no issues (only seems to have developed as the temperatures outside have dropped). Also the car drives well still, had a blast down the Autobahn to Hamburg last week and still accelerates well and tops out around 145 mph.
I am not sure if this is relevant but it had car underbody rust treatment done by Dinitrol 1 year ago and a few days after I noticed that the Exhaust Sensor Warning light came on but when I restarted the car it went off again. Now periodically every few weeks or months it comes on again - not flashing just constant but goes out the next time I start the car.
The car gets used mostly on motorway I drive about 500 miles a week from one end of Denmark to the other and it is serviced every 6 months and just a few week ago pasts it its MOT for the next 2 years.
The wife is beginning to moan at me about selling it and getting a Fiesta Diesel that does 27 km/l due to the distance I drive, the money I may have to spend fixing it and that I just got a speeding ticket from a Mobile Photo Van for driving 76 mph in a 50 mph (in my defense the road was clear, a long straight and I accelerated to pass several lorries - just near the end of the straight was the van - which was hidden behind a lorry and from the picture I am clearly overtaking as I was moving back in) but what can I say ... "I have a heavy right foot" too and am impatient
Therefore before I lose my modded, beloved Vectra I need some more advice (Caveman_Nige pointers have helped) - Anyway onto what I have done so far:
- I cleaned the MAF with some brake cleaner and visually it looked ok
- I cleaned out the air box (modded already) and changed the air filter
- I cleaned the sensor on the pipe leading to the throttle body
- I cleaned the throttle body in situ but it really was pretty clean already
- I fired some carb cleaner through the air intake which the engine was running
- Yesterday I changed the spark plugs again as I had already done it 6 months ago after a service. The spark plugs themselves were black as hell - so it looks like it is running rich - as I can't believe they can build up that much coking in 6 months?
- I swapped coil pack 1 & 4 with 2 & 3 to see if it made any difference - It didn't
I have a CTS Coolant Temp Sensor from a SAAB on the way and will fit that anyway (only cost a tenner).
I have run diagnostic and the only error was P1312-00 misfire on cyl 1 or 2 but once cleared the error code has not returned after a week of cold starts.
I am thinking now of that if it is running rich then maybe the sensors got fouled when the under body treatment was done and I need to replace some sensors (how many on 2.0 Turbo) or as Caveman_Nige pointed out it may be the coil pack.
The cheapest way to replace the parts would be helpful as I don't want to end up with a Fiesta 95 BHP diesel - Any advice and relevant part numbers appreciated!