Thread: DPF remove *without* remap?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default DPF remove *without* remap?

Ok so I've been having a read up on EGR and DPF (I've just bought an '08 SRI Estate, CDTI 150)

The mpg on the car is pretty poor, so I'm about to clean up the boost sensor and EGR. But I'm not keen on the DPF being there, it just seems like a device to cost me fuel and cause problems...

I've seen a few threads about smashing out the insides of the DPF (appeals as a no-cost solution) and then crimping over one of the sensor pipes.

Are there any downsides to doing this without getting the DPF mapped out of the ECU? I believe the car may still attempt a re-gen at some point - is that likely to be a big issue?

Ta in advance. I've had a good search around and there's lots of info on How To - but not seen an answer on downsides for doing it without a remap

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You can remap the car without changing the performance. The best solution is to get the EGR blanked off and mapped out, along with the DPF mapped out and either replaced with a straight-through pipe or the insides smashed out. Both devices are there purely for emissions and serve no useful purpose apart from costing us money when they break.

This is the story of mine, but I'd recommend contacting Ben and seeing what he can do for you mate - it'll save you a lot of money in the long run and your engine will be much happier for it...

http://vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142321

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sorry I guess I wasn't clear

I meant are there any issues with removing DPF (and/or blanking EGR) without getting them mapped out of the ECU?

Basically can I do the remove and/or blank and drive like that, or do I *need* to get them mapped out at the same time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I would get the DPF mapped out. As you say the car will still think it has a DPF. So it's going to want a regen which involves using extra fuel to burn off the soot in the DPF (which is no longer there). So you are not going to save any money on fuel as the car will still try to regen.

I am not sure what the car will do if you just crimp one of the sensors, it may cause extra error codes or problems.

I also wouldn't blank off the EGR if the DPF is still there, as it can clog up the DPF faster.

If you don't map the EGR when you blank it you will have the error light on the dashboard constantly and you won't know if you have any other faults.

I personally wouldn't disable either the EGR or DPF without remapping them out of the cars ECU. You may be OK short term but who knows over the longer term.

A decent remapping company will be able to map out the EGR and the DPF for you without a permance map. But there will probable no extra cost in getting the performance map done at the same time. You could always ask for a fuel economy map rather than a go faster map.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

OH believe me - when I get the car remapped it will have a performance map

I just wondered if there was harm in doing the physical remove before the remap. SO removing EGR without also removing DPF and tweaking ECU will cause the DPF to still regen? Is that worse than it doing regen with the DPF? - I'd think the car would benefit from the restriction in flow?

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The ECU will go nuts because it isn't detecting what it should. It will still regen regardless as it has both a mileage and a pressure limit on it (I think) and so trying to clean itself with no filter there will result in a massive cloud of black smoke out the back of the car. It's not as simple of just bashing out the insides like it is with the cat...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Dog
    There will be a 'cat' in there (usually just ahead of the DPF part) and the Temp sensor will be for the exhaust gases. Regen won't start unless the exhaust gas temps are high enough and remain so for a certain length of time.

Just picking up on this point from Diesel Dog (EGR Thread)...

If the ECU only attempts a regen when the DPF temp sensor sees a high enough EGT, how about this:

• Remove DPF, gut inside of DPF, refit
    • Refit the two pipes, crimp smaller one at the "black matchbox" under EGR valve
    • Remove DPF Temp sensor and blank hole in DPF with bolt
    • Cable tie DPF temp sensor (still connected to wiring) outside DPF

As I understand it, non-dpf cars have a temp sensor in the cat, dpf cars have one in the cat and one in the DPF. So when Vx added the extra temp sensor as part of the DPF they either programmed the ECU to only use that sensor for triggering a regen OR they also told the ECU to expect "similar" values between it and the Cat temp sensor. If they did the second then having the DPF temp sensor outside the DPF would probably throw up and error, but if they didn't then surely the "Re-gen algorithm" of the ECU would just think the EGT was never getting high enough to allow a re-gen, so you could run with a gutted DPF, pipe crimped to prevent Emissions light on the dash and no re-gens?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI

Engine : 3.0 V6 CDTI

Year : 2007

Betty, I would be very careful of taking any of DD's posts as either factual or even remotely useful.
    If you do the above then the chance are that the ECU will still want to do a regen, you could keep restting the DPF saturation level via opcom etc but this would need to be done on an almost weekly basis.
    Removing both the EGR and DPF will make your car happier, as said above, they are only there for emissions anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I tend not to take anything that just comes from one source as gospel - until I've satisfied myself that the source is sufficiently knowledgable on the subject.

*If* the DPF is only regenerated once up to operating temperature and *if* that sensor is only used for that purpose - then surely removing it from the DPF and leaving it in the airflow would mean the ECU couldn't try and perform a regeneration?

I'm just looking into ways that the DPF can be removed without needing to adjust ECU, but without causing any ECU faults or unwanted operation (re-gen)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI

Engine : 3.0 V6 CDTI

Year : 2007

Another Op on here,
    winnie2457, he tried gutting his DPF and crimping the pipe, I think he still had to regularly reset the DPF using OpCom to stop the car trying to do a regen.
    In the end he had the car remapped by MAS Performance removing both the DPF and EGR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information