User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cleaned EGR, now how to reset warning light?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Cleaned EGR, now how to reset warning light?

Hello All,

I am new to this forum, this is my first post so apologies if this is not the best place to post. I tried to post it in the main troubleshooting thread but it wouldn't let me post there. I tried to post a few minutes ago but had a problem so apologies if both appear.

My Father-in-Law has a 2008 Vectra 1.9CDti (120) with 35k Miles. Yesterday it developed it first fault since he has owned it (2 yrs and 20k Miles) with an Emissions dash warning light coming on. I called the RAC out and they plugged it into their laptop and said it had a PO400 code and that I should get the EGR valve cleaned/replaced by my garage ASAP. I was advised to go home (5miles) and not complete my intended journey (120 miles).

I did a internet search and your site and found the how-2 guide for removing and cleaning the valve, which I have now done to the best of my ability using Wynns Carb Cleaner. I now need to re-set the engine warnign light so that I can see if the clean was sucessful. I have searched the net and your site or hours about how to reset the engine light and I am a bit confused. I have read that disconnecting the neg battery terminal for 15 or 30 mins does it, removing both terminals and touching them together does it, turning the ignition on and off 20 or 30 times does it and also that just driving around it will reset itself, but it is not clear which of these are relevant to the 2008 120 cdti vectra, could someone please clarify which if any work?

I have also read that you need a code reader/clearer too reset the warning light, is this true? Time is tight and I need this done tomorrow if possible so havent got time to order one, does anyone know if ATS, Kwik-fit etc will do it for you, or any other garage near Weston-super-Mare?

Finally, what is the situation regarding driving the car presuming that the clean didn't work and the problem still exists, is it ok to drive or should journeys be just essential ones like to the garage to prevent damage to other items such as the CAT or anything else?

The car starts and drives normally*, i.e. it is not in limp mode that I have read about. I dont know if performance has dropped as he is a very steady driver but he said he thinks fuel economy has dropped a bit recently.

Apologies for such a long and demanding first post, but your help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

John

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra-c

Trim : sri

Engine : cdti

Year : 2004

Mileage : 98,000

If your cleaning was successful driving normal will just put the light out by itself in time.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

If you have cleaned the EGR valve and resolved the issue it will not do any harm to drive with the light on and as the wizard says the light should reset itself eventually

Thread Information