User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cleaned EGR, now how to reset warning light?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Cleaned EGR, now how to reset warning light?

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, this is my first post so appologies if this is not in the correct place.

My father-in-laws 2008 Vectra 1.9CDTi (120) which has done 35k miles, developed an Emissions light on the dash yesterday. I called the RAC out and they plugged it in and told me it had a PO400 error code which they said was related to the EGR and I should contact my garage as soon as possible. They advised me to drive home (5 miles) and not complete my intended 200 mile journey. The RAC man did not lift the bonnet it was purely from the diagnostic box that he plugged into the ash tray connector.

I did a search on the internet and your forum and found the how-2 guides for removing and cleaning the EGR, which was very helpful thank you. I have completed the clean as best I can using Wynns carb cleaner but now I need to remove the warning light from the dash to see if the clean has been sucessful.

I have searched for hours and read that removing the negative terminal of the battery for 15 or 30 mins can reset the dash light, I have seen others say remove both terminals to the battery and touch them together, and others say that only code readers/clearers can remove the code and warning light, but it wasn't clear which years and models these were specific to. Could someone tell me which is true for the 2008 120bhp 1.9CDTi Vectras?

If a reader/clearer is the only option for turning off the warning light then can you tell me where I can get this done (Kwick-Fit, ATS etc?). I have read that you can buy them from ebay etc but time is short at the moment and I would like to get this done tomorrow if at all possible. I am located in Weston-super-Mare if anyone knows of somewhere specific down here, but an answer of any ATS for example will be fine.

Finally, what is the situation regarding using the car assuming the cleaning did not work and the EGR still has a problem? It appears to start and run fine, although may have been slightly heavier on diesel recently my father-in-law said. I don't know if performance has dropped off slightly as he is a very steady driver but it isn't in a limp mode, it is performing something liek it should I believe. Is it safe to use or will it risk damage to something else?

Many thanks in advance and apologies for such a long and demanding first post.

John

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi john i cleaned my egr out the other day but i had no acess to reseting the light but it went out it self after i started the car a few times hope this helps

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the reply.

I left the neg battery terminal disconnected for 7 hours last night but this morning it was still on so I guess that doesn't work on this model.

I went to a local garage earlier that had a Snap-on diagnositc reader/clearer and they cleared the warning light for me. I've taken it for a 10 mile drive, including dual carriage way, A and B road driving and a couple of engine off and back on starts and so far so good, it hasn't come back on, so fingers crossed the clean has worked, will just have to wait now to see if it last a hour, a day a month or a year!!

It is great that non-members can still read and search on your forum, like I did and that people have bothered to do the How-2 guides, the Haynes Manual could learn alot from here!!!!! Keep up the good work everyone.

Thanks

John

Thread Information