User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: spanner light but no error code

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    salisbury
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default spanner light but no error code

    ok this has been confusing me for weeks

    When driving at high speed in 4th and 5th 6th gears between 4000 and 5000 rpm my car goes into limp mode sometimes for a few mins sometimes for longer

    ive plugged in my code reader and nothing this time at all last time i had a brake circuit fault but i think this was when i had to brake fast as this brought up spanner light but no limp mode

    this has been happening a while and slightly annoying im able to do a live data reading but as i dont drive at these speeds often i rarely have my laptop to hand , also i have no idea what the live data looks like as normal let alone when there is a problem

    also i dont know if this is related but when i accelerate i get a small hissing sound and when i let off the gas i get what sounds like a release of air ive been looking for a air leak but as of yet i cant find it

    all help is appreciated

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    salisbury
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A bump b4 bed

  3. #3
    Regular Member DeeBe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Shields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    limp mode is usually a result of overboost - but comes with a code. Is yours a petrol or diesel?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    salisbury
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    2004 Vectra 1.9cdti sxi one day I will learn to put my car

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    salisbury
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Lunch time bump

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sipson
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Is it a hissing sound or sucking sound? could be the turbo taking in air. The release of air is normal, that will be the turbo dumping air.

    So when you got limp at high speeds, you didn't get the spanner, but you did when hard braking?

  7. #7
    Full Member Big Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Is a very naughty boy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's probably your code reader that is unable to read the fault rather than there being no code to read.
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cornwall
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Is this the Spanner + Car icon?

    Is this light on during ignition but out when running? Or on all the time?

    If light on during ignition = ECU logged fault but no fault present anymore.
    If light on during running = ECU logged fault that's still present.

    Now, I had this icon recently, following disconnects and work to Air Filter/Box, Boost Sensor, EGR Valve and Throttle Body. Initially my icon was on all the time but no Fault was logged in the ECU. It turned out the a plug (perhaps all) was not re-connected correctly. The Icon is now only present during ignition, which will clear itself after 'some time'.

    Back to your problem; last year I started getting the usual EGR & Boost Sensor issues that plague CDTI models. It manifested itself initially in exactly the same way as you describe. Basically going into Limp Mode periodically, until one day it got stuck there. I put this down to a partial cease of the EGR Solenoid Pin turning into a full cease. Point being no fault code was stored in my ECU until it failed completely. I stripped and cleaned the EGR (and solenoid + pin) and boost sensor and the problem was fixed.

    As for your 'Air Hiss' I get this too under the same conditions but I always thought it was a valve on the turbo system. I usually hear it when quickly changing up the gears down our country lanes (rebound of the hedges), in most instances my revs are 2k plus when changing.

    2006 CDTi 120bhp BTW

    Apologies if this has nothing to do with your issue.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    salisbury
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    It's probably your code reader that is unable to read the fault rather than there being no code to read.
    This is possible but I have only heard good things about the reader I have

    Quote Originally Posted by krisby View Post
    Is it a hissing sound or sucking sound? could be the turbo taking in air. The release of air is normal, that will be the turbo dumping air.

    So when you got limp at high speeds, you didn't get the spanner, but you did when hard braking?
    I'm fairly sure it's hissing but I'll get my gf to help me in a min

    Yes I get spanner light when driving at speed but no code this time
    The braking spanner light I think was when I quickly moved from gas to brake and the gas pedal hadn't fully gone back to normal position but as I say I'm unsure
    Quote Originally Posted by Danlisa View Post
    Is this the Spanner + Car icon?

    Is this light on during ignition but out when running? Or on all the time?

    If light on during ignition = ECU logged fault but no fault present anymore.
    If light on during running = ECU logged fault that's still present.

    Now, I had this icon recently, following disconnects and work to Air Filter/Box, Boost Sensor, EGR Valve and Throttle Body. Initially my icon was on all the time but no Fault was logged in the ECU. It turned out the a plug (perhaps all) was not re-connected correctly. The Icon is now only present during ignition, which will clear itself after 'some time'.

    Back to your problem; last year I started getting the usual EGR & Boost Sensor issues that plague CDTI models. It manifested itself initially in exactly the same way as you describe. Basically going into Limp Mode periodically, until one day it got stuck there. I put this down to a partial cease of the EGR Solenoid Pin turning into a full cease. Point being no fault code was stored in my ECU until it failed completely. I stripped and cleaned the EGR (and solenoid + pin) and boost sensor and the problem was fixed.

    As for your 'Air Hiss' I get this too under the same conditions but I always thought it was a valve on the turbo system. I usually hear it when quickly changing up the gears down our country lanes (rebound of the hedges), in most instances my revs are 2k plus when changing.

    2006 CDTi 120bhp BTW

    Apologies if this has nothing to do with your issue.
    I tried to clean my egr but I had issues I was unable to get the solenoid out altho the pin moved freely

    Spanner icon only comes on when I'm driving at speed then goes out and is fine on start up I can take car to red line in 1st to 3rd but 4th to 6th if I go to 4000 - 5000 I usually get spanner icon

  10. #10
    Regular Member Signum-Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cramlington Northumberland, V6 Jaguar S-type Sport
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sounds like a throttle body TPS fault to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Spanner light, but no code.
    By hothatch in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 8th October 2011, 22:55
  2. spanner light with no code again
    By iasha in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22nd August 2011, 16:41
  3. spanner light with no code again
    By iasha in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 1st July 2011, 06:55
  4. Spanner Light and Error Code P1109
    By WeDesign in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th June 2011, 14:52
  5. Spanner light; error code 'Preheat delay fault'
    By Keith Jones in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24th April 2009, 16:33

Visitors found this page by searching for:

vectra c diesel spanner light and no turbo

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •