Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default CanBus bypass

The problems with my gutless Vectra have been resolved, I had the turbo cleaned as the vanes were sticking, the car now goes like stink.

However, as my car/spanner light has been on showing an error code that there is a problem with the MIL light itself, I asked my auto sparky to have a looksee. So he took the dash apart and reckons that someone has modified the circuit to bypass something on the monitoring side.

Now, as my car is a half can bus, what does that mean in terms of what it does, or doesn't do? He was able to pull these codes:

U1420 - Radio Bus communication low input (02 - not present)
    U2139 - Canbus no communication with CIM (00- not present)

and another 8 besides, all with similar communication errors, and all saying not present. However, I was wondering, is that because it is half canbus?

He cleared the codes but the light will not go away, and he reckon it is because this bypass is in place, and the system can see a problem but does not know what it is.

I am going down the garage I bought it off tonight, but just in case this is normal for a half can bus I don't want to throw too many toys. However, even if those codes are normal, the light should still not be on, and is very annoying.

Apart from that, engine now loverly!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Been thinking some, as the light is referring to a problem with the electrics, if one of my fog light wires was cut would this cause an issue perhaps? Mind you, it is giving me the error on the GID, as well assone for my safeguard, so I guess it wouldn't throw both alerts at me, would it?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Interesting, on another thread someone getting all the same codes, likely cause an old version of opcom. Which does make me wonder if my auto sparky simply saw something on CIM he didn't understand, got all these codes and made an assumption.

He did say the battery was getting grumpy and start motor weak, would a pooh battery throw a spanner and car light I wonder?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

have you tried to get a second apinion with a proper tech 2 just to see if they come up with the same codes also he might have more answers
    also just a thought has the garage where you bought the car changed you radio for a lower spec one and have they done it properally
    i know they do it as my brother in laws should have a cd70 navi in it acording to vx but when he bought the car from a garage it was a half canbus with a cd30 instead
    and my car should of had a cd30 in it as i have all the books for it in my service book but mine was upgraded to a cd70 navi

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : Energy

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2005

Mileage : 131,000

Try not to get half CANbus confused with Pre-facelift...

The vehicles moved from half to full CAN in mid / late 2004 (officially October 2004)
    Body shape didn't change from pre-facelift to facelift until a year later.. approx October 2005.

Any vehicle with CD30, CDC40, CD50 or CD70 Navi, are all Full CAN units.

The bypassing of the instrument clocks would potentially cause all sorts of issues, as the panel is totally dependent upon CAN signals from the Infotainment Display, CIM module or the BCM module.

Only the illumination, ground and ignition live are Non-CAN wires in the instrument clocks.
    Last edited by Robsey; 10th October 2011 at 18:40.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by 6009tristanb View Post
    have you tried to get a second apinion with a proper tech 2 just to see if they come up with the same codes also he might have more answers
    also just a thought has the garage where you bought the car changed you radio for a lower spec one and have they done it properally
    i know they do it as my brother in laws should have a cd70 navi in it acording to vx but when he bought the car from a garage it was a half canbus with a cd30 instead
    and my car should of had a cd30 in it as i have all the books for it in my service book but mine was upgraded to a cd70 navi
    No, I've only tried one guy that I trust, though he is a little suspect of everything too.
    No, the car has the factory fit CDR2005 VDO unit, which is not part of the canbus I believe.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Robsey View Post
    Try not to get half CANbus confused with Pre-facelift...

The vehicles moved from half to full CAN in mid / late 2004 (officially October 2004)
    Body shape didn't change from pre-facelift to facelift until a year later.. approx October 2005.

Any vehicle with CD30, CDC40, CD50 or CD70 Navi, are all Full CAN units.

The bypassing of the instrument clocks would potentially cause all sorts of issues, as the panel is totally dependent upon CAN signals from the Infotainment Display, CIM module or the BCM module.

Only the illumination, ground and ignition live are Non-CAN wires in the instrument clocks.
    I know, mine is a 2003 with the cdr2005, so not part of canbus.
    This is what is confusing, as everything works fine, I can't see what, if anything, they have bypassed. But I think my auto sparky is paranoid. He sees the light, the meaning is that there is an error in the MIL light itself, or circuit, not necessarily something wrong with the car or the sensors.
    So when I asked him to open u[ dash and clean connections he says he found some suspicious piece soldered to the circuit board connector for the dash, or something like that. So I'm hoping he is jumping to conclusions and that it is an easy fix, cos he reckons it looks bad, and would cost mega poundage to put right.

So I'm just wondering what the half does vs full. Cos if it is not important what am I missing out on? I don't notice anything missing, I'm still getting comms about fog light being out and a safeguard error, so I guess the bus must be working.
    Could a failing battery throw a spanner and car light?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

All Vectra-C's have an element of CAN (Controller Area Network) within their make-up.
    CAN is used to reduce the amount of cabling used to control / power components within the car.
    There are many CAN modules in the Vectra-C, and even the instrument cluster has a miniature module circuit built into it.

There is very little difference between half and full CAN vehicles... but enough to upset some modules if you fit the wrong parts.

I run a full CAN infotainment system (CD70), with half CAN CIM and BCM and a Non-CAN car (Cavalier Mk3 - ha ha).

A failing alternator or battery could indeed cause some issues with your instrumentation (Engine light), either due to over voltage (Alternator regulator circuit dying) or too low a voltage (battery dying) and so not enough oomph to power all the modules and circuits.

Have you had the engine light diagnosed?, as this could point you in the direction of what is wrong.
    Vectra's are VERY fussy vehicles, and anything that doesn't seem within "normal" limits could potentially throw up an engine light.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah, been diagnosed, but as I said in 1st post my auto sparky reckons it is a result of what he thinks is some modification to the circuit board for the dash cluster. The code P0650 relates to a problem within the engine management system, but not specifically what. It might be that my auto sparky is right and someone has attempted to bypass something and caused this light. However, if someone has the know how to bypass the system, why not just fix what they are trying to bypass? Also, apart from a front fog light and a system guard error on the GID, there are no faults, all buttons and switches work, so I can't see an error or what is trying to be masked.

I might ask if someone has a photo of their dash circuit board, perhaps it is normal and we are looking in the wrong place. Maybe the battery is causing it, maybe the fog light is causing it (wire cut apparently, but I will get on ramps this weekend and check myself).

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Does the engine light come on, on the dash panel?

The code you refer to is as follows:-

P0650 Malfunction Indicator (MI) Control Circuit Open C-36

So possibly a break in the wiring between the ECM (Engine ECU) and the instrument cluster.
    Think this is a brown wire with a yellow or white stripe along it.

This is you MIL wire.

Regarding the fog light, are you meaning the rear fog light.?
    If the wire has been cut, then it should be a simple matter of soldering in a replacement section of wire to re-join the cut pieces - don't forget to sleeve with heat shrink tubing.

System guard error - hmm, someone has been tampering.
    Take a look at the ultrasonic sensors in the panel for the interior rear view mirror.
    It sounds like someone may have had this panel out, and not connected the ultra-sonic connector properly.

Other than this, it could be an alarm battery issue (battery flat / worn out), or if you have an estate, check the glass break sensor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information