User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notchy gears-oil or realignment?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra c SRI Facelift

Trim : SRI

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2006

Default Notchy gears-oil or realignment?

I have a 2006 Veccy SRI 150 manual 6 speed gearbox(not sure which box though) and i have a really notchy 3rd gear when changing up from 2nd.It feels like the gear change is in 2 stages and is catching on something when i slide it up into 3rd.It does it probably 98% of the time but when it doesnt do it its like the rest of the gears(still slightly notchy but nothing worth mentioning about) I dont think its the clutch as theres no juddering or gear crunching when pulling away or changing.If i change down from say 4th to 3rd its fine.

I dont know if im imaging it but when it does change smoothly it seems to be when im going downhill which which got me thinking that it could be the gearbox oil? the gears are every so slightly stiffer when its cold but ive had alot worse in prevous cars.I havnt owned the car that long so not sure what its like when its propper cold.

My first port of call is to change the gear box oil but im not sure which to use and how much to put in.Ive read posts saying put in less than what VX originaly put into the boxes but some say put the same in.I also havnt got a clue what type or viscocity to use as ive never brough the stuff before.

Does it sound like its the oil or would you say maybe try realigning the gears instead?

Thanks

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Changed the oil in my dti as it seemed a bit notchy in first and second. Got the vx transmission fluid from vauxhall. Think it was about 6 quid a litre and the part number on the bottle is 93165290. Mines the f23 box and according to the sites it was either put 1.8 litres in or top it up to the level plug on the back. Topped it up to there and it didnt seem to make it any better so redrained it. Put 1.55 litres in (as one of the sites said thats what was originally in the f23) and walloped a tube of molyslip in and the difference was obvious. Think there was something about filling certain boxes to the level plug on the back then adding another half a litre?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers buddy,

I think ive got the f40 gear box which is famous for being notchy according to peeps on here but the thing that bugged me was my mate has a SRI which is 2 years older and done 35k more miles and he drives like an absolute nutter(sorry mate if your reading this lol) and his gear changes are nice and smooth with no clunks.

I will do a bit more seaching into what oil and level to fill it up 2.

I just hope it can be sorted coz its really bugging me and i dont want it to get worse if there is something i can do to help it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

No problem at all Justin. Might be worth reading these:
    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114193
    and
    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114162

I'd recommend putting the molyslip in as it's seemed to make a difference on mine. Think it was about 8 quidish from Halfords. Before it felt as if i had to force it into first or second when it was cold as if i hadnt had my clutch pedal depressed enough if that makes any sense

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by dalecheesy View Post
    No problem at all Justin. Might be worth reading these:
    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114193
    and
    http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114162

I'd recommend putting the molyslip in as it's seemed to make a difference on mine. Think it was about 8 quidish from Halfords. Before it felt as if i had to force it into first or second when it was cold as if i hadnt had my clutch pedal depressed enough if that makes any sense
    Thanks again mate,

I will be doing this job at the weekend.Yeah i know what you meen about feeling like the clutch pedal isnt being depressed enough.

Ill let you know the outcome mate.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Good luck and it's not too hard a job for a change. I had to cut down a 8mm allen key for the bottom drain plug on mine as the access is quite limited then my mate brought me a hex set down which i could fit a 10mm spanner on. Typical. If you have the crap plate off the bottom of the car you can see the drain plug much better if you take the passenger wheel off if its the same as the f23 box. Fingers crossed it sorts it out mate.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Aparently the gearbox should have 2.4 litres of oil but people have said that not all the oil drains out so im confused if i have to refill with 2.4l or maybe 2.2l incase there is some that doesnt drain out?

I tested my car today and if im going downhill or uphill the gearchange is silky smooth but where flat its notchy...could it possable be the oil draining to either the front or rear of gearbox?.....the more i think about it the more i think its down to the gearbox oil and not gear alignment.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah could be the oil Justin. I drained mine as it has 180,000 miles on it when i got it (luckily i got it given) gulp so thought i'd change it as it was a pain in first and second. I left mine draining for ages then changed the gears to free up any left on the cogs. Can't see it doing any harm if you put 2.2 litres in and give it a try before adding the extra 200 ml but no doubt someone with an f40 will be able to confirm it. Might also be worth checking the brake resovoir as if its the same as mine it also runs the clutch mechanism.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes the brake resovoir does also run the clutch aswell on mine,the level is ok as i checked it the other day when i was doing my fluid checks.

I know that the f40 is well known for being notchy and i can deal with it to some extent but changing from 2nd to 3rd really does worry me as its worse than the rest.It doesnt seems to be any worse when the car is cold which was why i first thought its probably not oil related.

I forgot to mention that sometimes when i do change from 2nd to 3rd as i start to push it out of 2nd it sometimes feels like it slightly flicks or kicks out of gear into neutral ...did you have this on yours mate?

Thanks
    Last edited by justin32; 10th October 2011 at 23:39.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah exactly the same. But mine was really bad before the engine had warmed up. Had to sometimes hunt around to get it into first andsecond and i hated changing down. Looked at all the gearbox levers to check that they weren't obstructed as i thought i was going to break the gearstick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information