Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Wob wob wob noise

Hi. after hearing a wob wob wob noise when driving the other day (best way i can think of to describe it) i checked and noticed that my driveshaft inner boot had split so got a new one and managed to fit it on. However there seemed to be a lot of play in the inner cv joint so i'm going to order a new driveshaft and change it. However when driving it i still get that crazy wob wob wob sound mainly when coasting down from 30 mph. Could it be the knackered inner cv joint or will it more likely be a wheel bearing? I'm hoping its just the joint but i think im going to be shelling out more cash I've had it jacked up and there does seem to be a slight amount of play on both front wheels at the 3 and 9 position (just a couple of milli so may be correct?) Sorry for the essay

Oxfordshire for Pleasure, Berkshire for business
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i had this on the rear of mine.

uneven wear on the rear tyres

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Funnily enough my rear drivers side tyre is wore right down on the outer edge but they were off my old astra so thought that they might have been like that when i swapped them over months ago. Going to try and get someone to drive it while i stick my head in the boot to see if thats where the noise is coming from. Sounded like it was coming from the front but i cant tell properly as it may be bouncing around the cabin. Don't you just love cars Cheers for the reply Chuff it's much appreciated

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quick update: Think it may be something to do with the front (either driveshaft inner joint or bearing) as the noise decreases when i dip my clutch. Aaaargh i hope it isnt my clutch. I was hoping that it may have been the rear ones like your's Chuff as they seem much easier to change. Damnit i can't stop hearing decreasing woob woob woob sounds as the engine slows. Hmm i wonder if i can convince myself its just my hearing gone kaput Hmmm my fan belt has started squeeling too and the belt seems to be bouncing around a bit between the crankshaft and the powersteering pulleys. Could it be a bust tensioner? No that doesnt make any sense. Anybody got a spare set of earmuffs??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Suggestion: stop playing Dubstep in your car.

That should hopefully kill the Wob Wob Wob noise you're hearing

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When your driving on a good open road at a reasonable speed (40mph ish), steer left, then right.

If its the wheel bearing, the noise would become more/less apparent as the wheel loading changes from LHS to RHS.

As far as to the bouncing around of the belt goes, I had a Passat which suffered from this problem. When sitting still, turning the wheel with no revs made the belt squeal, and I could feel juddering through the steering wheel. This turned out to be the clutch fitted within the alternator. I managed to get mine refurbed for £130..

I know the Vecs suffer with alternator issues, might be worth getting it checked? I know Halfords can check your alternator for free in terms of voltage. With my Passat I had to take it off, and look at it myself. The basics of it are, on the internals you'll see what looks like a fan, when you spin the pully this should rotate. If you put something into the alternator to stop the fan (I used a number 2 Phillips, without touching any of the copper inside!) and turn the pully, the fan should stop and slip as you carry on rotating the pully. If not, its shagged!!! Get a refurb or a new one!!!

Whilst its off, you can check all other pullys too.

Hope this helps!!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers mate i'll have a look. I thought the belt squeeling may have been due to the tensioner as it looks like it has oil on it so i suspected it was leaking so im hoping its not the alternator as thats a much harder job gulp. Theres no apparent reduction in the wob wob sounds when i steer left or right but i'm going to put a new driveshaft on as the ofs inner joint had a load of play in it when i replaced the boot both the input shaft and where it connects onto the transmission side shaft so i think its kaput so im keeping my fingers crossed that its just resonating when im driving along. Theres a vauxhall breakers quite near me and its the only driveshaft they dont have in stock. Typical Thanks for the reply its much appreciated. You know that when i change the driveshaft the sounds still going to be there

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well from what your saying, I'd guess you won't go far wrong with a drive shaft change! Euro car parts have them for £90 a corner! Trading in your old one..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Now thats not bad at all. I was going to get a one off fleabay but i might go down that route instead. I'm sick of trying to convince myself it's the wheels etc. Its up on the car jack about 15 times a day thinking ooh i know i'll just check that again. i've just changed the front wheels onto my spares and the noise is still there. I'm hoping it's nothing to do with my clutch or something as expensive. Don't know if mine has a dual mass flywheel and if the noise would be the same? Aaaarghhhh. Not too sure if the inner joint is supposed to move a bit but mine was wobbling about when i had the outside shaft off and theres loads of play on it but i may be clutching at straws. The noise is slowly driving me insane and i keep expecting the wheel to fly off down the road Cheers for the replies its much appreciated

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quick update. Just had one of the lads drive it around the block and he seems to think it's got something to do with the transmission because if you put it into neutral when you're coasting it stops the noise. Ooh this is going to be expensive but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that it's just the driveshaft joint and it's going quiet as it's not under any load from the transmission? Oh and I've just noticed you're post Drazek. Hahaha if I play it louder it stops me hearing it lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information