User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Major help needed

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chatham, Kent
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default Major help needed

    Currently driving a 2004 04 plate Vauxhall Signum 2.2 Dti Design with 105,000 on the clock.

    Was driving along one day and the car went into limp home mode and was gutless to say the least. The spanner came up on the dash and i immediately had to stop to turn the engine off.

    Did so and waited for the AA who wiped the fault code and i was on my way again.

    Since then it's done it a few more times and the spanner light has been shown again.

    The last couple of times it happened, it just died completely of power, no limp home mode and no spanner so the AA man came out and said EGR valve on the fault code reader, wiped it and followed me 15 miles home no problem.

    As i got home, me and a friend waited for it to cool and continued to strip the EGR valve apart and found a shed load of carbon deposits. After 10 minutes of cleaning it all up, we put it back on and things seemed to be running fine again.

    Went out today with no problems until i got home and realised i needed to go to the shop. Got back in the car, drove to the roundabout to turn back on my self as i was facing the wrong way and the car did it again, just lost power completely and i had to keep turning it off and back on again to kind of kangaroo back into my parking space.

    Any ideas what it could be now? Hope the car is ok, as im wanting to sell it and buy something else now.

    Thanks,

    Andy

  2. #2
    Full Member bobssignum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    polishing something or other somewhere
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Signum 2.0 DTi

    Trim : Elegance/Elite

    Engine : 2.0DTi

    Year : 2003

    Mileage : 73350

    Default

    Welcome to the joys of owning a DTi, this is a common fault and once you know your way around can be easily fixed .
    where to start seeing as your AA man diagnosed the EGR then its a pretty safe bet your inlet manifold is cruded up as well along with the attached boost sensor .Clean the inlet manifold with carb cleaner and just spray the boost sensor no need to scrub it as it can be easily damaged
    once this is complete check your vacuum hoses for signs of perishing on the connectors and for splits in the tubes themselves this is a common problem with the DTi,s , while there check your intercooler tubes for splits again a common fault easily cured
    Driving vauxhall,s for 30 + years
    and still loving it

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chatham, Kent
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobssignum View Post
    Welcome to the joys of owning a DTi, this is a common fault and once you know your way around can be easily fixed .
    where to start seeing as your AA man diagnosed the EGR then its a pretty safe bet your inlet manifold is cruded up as well along with the attached boost sensor .Clean the inlet manifold with carb cleaner and just spray the boost sensor no need to scrub it as it can be easily damaged
    once this is complete check your vacuum hoses for signs of perishing on the connectors and for splits in the tubes themselves this is a common problem with the DTi,s , while there check your intercooler tubes for splits again a common fault easily cured
    Just went back out in the car now it's cold and it's fine again.

    Will check all the things you said though definitely

    Not the best mechanic in the world but hopefully should be able to work through it.

    Andy

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chatham, Kent
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Ok, a recap after cleaning the egr, cleaning the inlet manifold and replacing the gaskets it was still doing it so i bought another egr valve and all seemed fine on a 100 mile round trip.

    Went back out in the car to go to the post office and it did it again, just cut out, no power and idled between 400-700 revs.

    I really am stumped now and it's quite scary to go out in the car as it can lose power at any time and i could be involved in an accident.

    Please help guys and girls.

    Thanks,

    Andy

  5. #5
    Regular Member Signum-Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cramlington Northumberland, V6 Jaguar S-type Sport
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Jaguar S-Type V6

    Trim : Sport

    Engine : Petrol

    Year : 2003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aruffell View Post
    Ok, a recap after cleaning the egr, cleaning the inlet manifold and replacing the gaskets it was still doing it so i bought another egr valve and all seemed fine on a 100 mile round trip.

    Went back out in the car to go to the post office and it did it again, just cut out, no power and idled between 400-700 revs.

    I really am stumped now and it's quite scary to go out in the car as it can lose power at any time and i could be involved in an accident.

    Please help guys and girls.

    Thanks,

    Andy
    First off check all of your vacuum pipe work for split etc as this is the easy fix.......However!
    I had the same problem with my 2.2DTI. It was the upper inlet manifold at fault. The TPS throttle position sensor (on the side of the throttle body) was giving the ecu the wrong data and the ecu would shut the butterfly in the manifold while driving, cutting power/stalling with a spanner light etc. There is a vacuum pipe going to an actuator which controls the butterfly valve. (The butterfly is normally in the open position).
    Bend/nip this vacuum pipe or simply pull it off. (You must block the pipe so the rest of the system does not loss vacuum). This will stop the vacuum pulling the the butterfly closed when a bad signal is sent. If the symptoms stop you know it's your TPS/Upper Inlet Manifold causing the problem.

    I cut my butterfly flap inside the upper inlet manifold in half so it cannot be closed off completely. I have not had a problem since.

    A new upper induction manifold (throttle body) is in the region of £240 to buy new.
    I hope this helps.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chatham, Kent
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DTI-Steve View Post
    First off check all of your vacuum pipe work for split etc as this is the easy fix.......However!
    I had the same problem with my 2.2DTI. It was the upper inlet manifold at fault. The TPS throttle position sensor (on the side of the throttle body) was giving the ecu the wrong data and the ecu would shut the butterfly in the manifold while driving, cutting power/stalling with a spanner light etc. There is a vacuum pipe going to an actuator which controls the butterfly valve. (The butterfly is normally in the open position).
    Bend/nip this vacuum pipe or simply pull it off. (You must block the pipe so the rest of the system does not loss vacuum). This will stop the vacuum pulling the the butterfly closed when a bad signal is sent. If the symptoms stop you know it's your TPS/Upper Inlet Manifold causing the problem.

    I cut my butterfly flap inside the upper inlet manifold in half so it cannot be closed off completely. I have not had a problem since.

    A new upper induction manifold (throttle body) is in the region of £240 to buy new.
    I hope this helps.
    Ok, tried it by taking the vacuum pipe out of the butterfly mechanism (little black looking spindle thing) and drove for 30 mins and it seemed fine.

    Will report back more as i continue driving.

    If it's all good then Steve, i love you lol

    Andy

  7. #7
    Regular Member Signum-Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cramlington Northumberland, V6 Jaguar S-type Sport
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Jaguar S-Type V6

    Trim : Sport

    Engine : Petrol

    Year : 2003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aruffell View Post
    Ok, tried it by taking the vacuum pipe out of the butterfly mechanism (little black looking spindle thing) and drove for 30 mins and it seemed fine.

    Will report back more as i continue driving.

    If it's all good then Steve, i love you lol

    Andy
    Easy tiger.....lol

    The TPS is at fault. You can't buy them as a single unit!
    The pipe Circled in white is the one to block? Its also an anti shudder valve when you turn your engine off.

    You might get a spanner light on your dash after running on the motorway at high speed for a while. As soon as you drop your speed it will go out.
    This is due to too much exhaust gas flowing into the engine as the butterfly can't move.

    To get around this I cut my butterfly in half along the horizontal spindle and re-connected the vacuum pipe. It now can't fully close and choke/stop my engine at the same time it restricts the exhaust gas flow into the engine at high motorway speeds.
    Its worked fine for me since.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Signum-Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cramlington Northumberland, V6 Jaguar S-type Sport
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Jaguar S-Type V6

    Trim : Sport

    Engine : Petrol

    Year : 2003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aruffell View Post
    Ok, tried it by taking the vacuum pipe out of the butterfly mechanism (little black looking spindle thing) and drove for 30 mins and it seemed fine.

    Will report back more as i continue driving.

    If it's all good then Steve, i love you lol

    Andy
    How did thing pan out mate, any chance of an update?

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Birmingham
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    My mechanic drilled 3 holes in the butterfly, and that seems to have cured it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Major decision. Keep the vectra with 100k on or change it....advice needed
    By marky2027 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 5th November 2012, 22:43
  2. major help egr
    By astratovectra in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 6th March 2010, 17:20
  3. First major mod.....
    By mc_orion in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 6th July 2009, 08:32
  4. 1.9 cdti major problem help needed
    By baztheman in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 6th September 2008, 19:58
  5. MAYDAY!!!!! Major Help Needed for Christmas
    By Brocks in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 5th December 2006, 12:36

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •