0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My tailgate stuck

Bu99er me, twice today I couldn't get into the boot.

The number plate lit up as normal telling you it's open but press the button and ... nothing. Tried loads of times while locking & unlocking, but no joy.

Went in through the back seats (embarrassing) to get my stuff out & guess what, when I went back round & tried again after, the bl00dy thing decided it would be funny to open, just to take the p.

Same thing happened later when I came back, except it opened after about 10 goes (I was determined this time ).

It seemed fine late though.

I feel another trip to Bicknells coming up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had my boot lock mechanism changed on Thursday under warranty after the same thing happened.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine did that, but it was because some *** had shut it for me and caught their luggage strap in the latch itself, again it was rear seats down time, finally got it open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too. Vx technical had no idea why. Told the dealer to just change the motors. Like new again. A bit worrying as the car is still only 6 months old and now I wonder is this going to be a regular occurance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Ian, I hope the dealer sort,s out for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vectra C Estate Jammed Tailgate

After a nice walk on the beach with my wife and 2 kids, Imagine my glee to the fact the tailgate would not open, the number plate lights came on but alas nothing else. Sometimes if you let the car stand for 10 mins the boot would open a little 1/4 inch but not enough to get it open. Let me say the journey home with 2 kids in the back and a wet Labrador on my wifes lap in the front wasn't exactly top gear !! Being a little bit handy and checking forums I decided to tackle the matter myself. Here's what I did.

1. Checked all fuses (multimeter continuity only takes 1 min, you don't even have to remove them, just put the two prongs on the little exposed ends of the fuse) the fuse boxes are in the left storage compartment in the boot (FIRST AID KIT) and to the right of the battery.

2. Tried to reset CPU by disconnecting the battery (Alarm will sound !! ).

Ok Now the tailgate still won't open, time to check a bit deeper.

3. Open the tailgate manually, drop the back seats and crawl in, there is a removeable gromit in the centre of the velvet panel below the window, remove this, if you shine a torch in you will see there is a funny shaped plastic socket, you should be able to work out the size of screwdriver needed to fit the top and bottom groove (V Large One !!) insert and turn anti clockwise, tail gate pops open every time !!!!!

4. Removing the panel...... There is a TORX screw in the pull handle that needs to be removed, also there are 2 plastic gromits on the underside of the panel, be carefull these cant simply be removed, you have to look carefully and insert a screwdriver very strategically into the gromit head to separate it from the gromit body, if you look closely you will see what I mean.

5. The rest of the panel is all snap fittings, be a little rough it will all pull off in one piece.

6.The next test will establish whether the switch or soleniod is at fault. Underneath the wiper motor, directly central, it's easy to see the wire that comes from the tailgaite switch, use a screwdriver to disconnect the little loom from the switch (brown and black wires).

7.Short circuit the loom you just disconnected, put a paperclip or similar across the two tiny terminals, !!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY SOLENOID SPRANG TO LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has to be the switch.

8. Removing the tailgate open button, there are 2 X 8mm nuts with washers attached easily visable from inside the tailgate, remove them and push the portruding bolts through, the switch will come out and the rubber shroud will come too, remove the shroud to see the metal flap that makes contact with the micro switch..

9. On my switch the grease had emulsified, gone old and hard forcing the switch in the on position, some wipes got rid on the grease and some switch cleaner freed up the micro switch.

10. I tried the newly lubricated switch without the shroud just to check all was well, and it was !!!.

11. REFIT THE RUBBER SHROUD FIRST. Bolt the handle back into place and reverse the panel process.

I Hope this helps at least one person, it took me 2 hours from start to finish.

Thread Information