Thread: 2.0T remap - Regal or others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 2.0T remap - Regal or others.

Well I've had the Insignia since March and my local dealer is sick of the sight of it.
    When she works she's great - it's a 4x4 auto Elite with FlexRide. The MPG is shocking but I still love her. I don't do too many miles per annum so it's bearable.

Regal do an ECU upgrade (and a more expensive flash unit) that takes it from 220PS to 310PS. They claim this also improves MPG. That's quite a big WOW!!

Has anyone had any experience of a remapped 2.0T by Regal or anyone else? Particularly with an Auto gearbox as I've suffered with Vx auto box problems on standard cars before. Hence I'm quite cautious & wouldn't plump for a remap anyway before my warrany is expired next March.

If it's going to return even a couple more mpg & doesn't put undue strain on the auto box & torque converter (even when towing a caravan) then it'll pay for itself in a couple of years & I plan on hanging on to the car for longer than that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Maps only give you better mpg because you do not need to be as heavy footed to get to your target speed.
    In real life very few people think that the map has improved mpg ( that maybe because people drive faster after a map)
    If you are cautious and keep your mpg expectations low, it could be worth while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Can't speak for the Regal but have had Thorney do a few of my previous cars and had improved mpg, the best being our old Zafira B which was as heavy as the moon lol,

we had an increase of about 70 miles to the tank and the map was very torquie.

I am please with what they have done with my J too . they can do the 2.0T with 40bhp and offer a 3 year 60k warranty too ok its not as aggressive as the Regal map but can't see you getting better mpg with 75bhp ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Regal Remaps are made by EDS and MPG at Middlewich sell the same. I dont have an Insignia but a Vec 1.9cdti Auto which has a EDS Remap and I have had no Autobox problems since its been fitted or other problems either. You can get a IPF unit which allows you to swap or remove the remap with the aid of a computer which again I have got and again no problems so I do reccommend it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You will not get 310bhp from just a re-map. That is just another case of Regal over rating things.

If your towing a caravan with a petrol turbo, I would advise against mapping it. You run the risk of running lean when towing. Ask most reputable re-mappers and they will tell you now to tow with re-maps that give high power outputs.

Going from 220 to 240/250 would probably be OK if you run on the decent fuel but it is not advisable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    You will not get 310bhp from just a re-map. That is just another case of Regal over rating things.

If your towing a caravan with a petrol turbo, I would advise against mapping it. You run the risk of running lean when towing. Ask most reputable re-mappers and they will tell you now to tow with re-maps that give high power outputs.

Going from 220 to 240/250 would probably be OK if you run on the decent fuel but it is not advisable.
    Thanks for the input Maverick. The option of having a plug-in flash unit that allows me to return to "standard" setup is about £100 more. Considering I only tow occasionally (maybe 5% of my annual mileage) that might be a better option - returning the car to standard when I tow the caravan.

Even better would be to have the FlexRide buttons linked into the remapping options. For example

• Sport = full on monster
    • Tour = standard (for towing)
    • Neither = economy

Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding whether the FlexRide can be linked in this way?

I have to say (when she's fault free) the 2.0T 4x4 still goes some with an 1100kg caravan attached. The same can't be said the for the diesel VW Touran they lent me. I was working the gears hard & my foot buried in the carpet all the way home just to keep progress with traffic. I was grateful for the loan of the VW with a towbar as it allowed me to go on my (already booked) holiday while the Insignia was in the garage. The VW is "functional" but at best is "uninspiring." It's only neat trick is auto-parking but doesn't always get it right & the steering wheel doing it's own thing is rather disconcerting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I don't know of anyone linking the map to Flexride, but it would be no different I suppose to doing what they do now on Astra H by linking the map to the Sport button.

But Astra H has a much simpler control / management system than Insignia.

When I used to tow with my stage 3 Zafira GSi, I used to install a standard ECU as it the map was not switchable. Easy enough jop as the ECU was next to the battery.

But as I had an uprated intercooler, with the standard map it ran alot better than totally standard.

The nice thing about the sport switch on flex ride on 4x4 cars, is that it makes the car permanently 80% rear wheel drive and 20% front wheel drive.

In standard form it is 95% front wheel drive until the power is needed at the back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Saab

Trim : 9-3 Vert

Engine : 2.0

Year : 2000

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I don't know of anyone linking the map to Flexride, but it would be no different I suppose to doing what they do now on Astra H by linking the map to the Sport button.

But Astra H has a much simpler control / management system than Insignia.

When I used to tow with my stage 3 Zafira GSi, I used to install a standard ECU as it the map was not switchable. Easy enough jop as the ECU was next to the battery.

But as I had an uprated intercooler, with the standard map it ran alot better than totally standard.

The nice thing about the sport switch on flex ride on 4x4 cars, is that it makes the car permanently 80% rear wheel drive and 20% front wheel drive.

In standard form it is 95% front wheel drive until the power is needed at the back.
    I didnt know that about the flex ride. Very interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It really makes a difference to how the car drives.

In normal mode, it just feels like a front wheel drive car, that just doesnt wheel spin in slippy conditions.

But in Sports mode, it drives more like a BMW or Mercedes, the rear end digging in round islands and bends etc. Plus the dash illumination goes red as well!

If I had one, it would be in Sport mode all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i think a 90 ps gain from just a map is pure fantasy ! would be great if it did though , lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information