User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sidelight not working but bulb is fine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Sidelight not working but bulb is fine?

Hello all!

I'm having a big problem with my passenger side light, it's not working. and the passenger side indicator comes on solid instead.

However it's not the bulb! I've replaced the bulb with two different brand new bulbs that I know work (because they work on the drivers side), and still no luck. light just won't come on and the indicator is stuck on!

Any ideas? - is there a specific fuse that controls the passenger side light?

also, as another test, I took the drivers side headlight assembly, which works perfectly fine... and plugged it into the plug for the passenger side headlight assembly... low and behind, this perfectly working cluster now has a sidelight that won't come on and the indicator light comes on solid instead!

So this is telling me two things, either I have a dead fuse (or relay? i dunno) or there's something screwed up with the wiring that goes from the plug that you plug into the light cluster to the fuse box (or wherever that wire goes)

This is really bugging me because I've modded my lights so that my angel eye halos turn on via a relay which get switched when the passenger sidelight turns on! - faaaaaaaaaaaaaak!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Presumably you mean the front parking light?
    When removing the failed bulb have you simply inserted the bulb to make sure the light illuminates BEFORE fully fitting the holder back into the lamp?
    I've lost two bulbs within the lamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yes the front left parking light... which never gets used for parking, and actually turns on when you turn your headlight switch to the middle position.

I'm pretty sure they're actually called side lights?

anyway, it's not the bulb holder as I have angel eye headlights, which don't have a sidelight bulb holder, and i've rewired the angel eyes and attached sidelight bulb holders to the wiring, which I have switched over with the sidelight bulb holder from the other (working) side...

So I'm 95% sure it's not my wiring that's at fault as I had this problem even before I started rewiring my headlights, however pinpointing where the problem actually lies is proving to be a little hard :/

anybody else with any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Drazek View Post
    So I'm 95% sure it's not my wiring that's at fault as I had this problem even before I started rewiring my headlights
    If the fault was there prior to modification, then I would suggest starting from there
    This suggests a broken wire which needs replacing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes, but the million dollar question is where exactly is this broken wire? ;o

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vauxhall vivaro

Trim : Basic

Engine : 1.9

Year : 2004

Need a wiring diagram really if you can get one?

Just to clarify your side light doesn't work. And the indicator bulb lights up?
    Or the side light doesn't work and also when you indicate the bulb just stays on bright?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vauxhall vivaro

Trim : Basic

Engine : 1.9

Year : 2004

Sorry just re read the thing

Indicator comes on instead of side light.
    So it's shorting out into indicator wiring some were.

does side light come on if you indicate?

If you remove indicator bulb but leave side light in does it then light up and vice versa?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It's not a wiring short from what I can tell.

The indicator is on instead, but this is because the car is seeing the sidelight as being dead, and thus turns the indicator on instead.

There's a system in the car that will automatically use the indicator bulbs when the sidelight bulbs blow.

However, my sidelight bulb hasn't blown, it works fine! and I've tried different bulbs into that socket, and I've tried different sockets in my custom install. - all to no avail ;(

I'm gonna have to get some metal spikes and start poking at cables to see if I can find where the short or broken wire might be.

The indicator works perfectly fine and as it should, when I indicate, it flashes, when I put the hazards on, it flashes. - when I'm not indicating and the lights are on, it stays on ... because the sidelight is off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Exclusive

Engine : 18VVT Z18XER

Year : 2006

Mileage : 130k

Hi Drazek did you have any luck with this? I'm having the same proplem but my indicator does't light up. I also have the angel eye head lights so I'm wondering is it a fault in the headlight unit as I can't find a fuse for the parking/sidelights. They used to work ok before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Niall83 View Post
    Hi Drazek did you have any luck with this? I'm having the same proplem but my indicator does't light up. I also have the angel eye head lights so I'm wondering is it a fault in the headlight unit as I can't find a fuse for the parking/sidelights. They used to work ok before.
    Hello! Yes I dud have some luck, but my luck came in the form of my lights just randomly working properly for no reason! Not that I'm complaining, but after all my testing and this forum post, two or so days later my car stopped giving me lightbulb errors and it just started working! :s

From what I can tell, there is no fuse for separate lights. Only a global fuse for headlights and two relays for each side of the cars indicators. You can try having a poke around but the wiring is pretty solid in those units, I was only second guessing the wiring because I have been cutting wires and modifying my lights. (if you google Vectra c angel eyes in google images you will see my wiring diagrams ;D)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information